Free CAD???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free CAD???

Okay, so I understand PCD and other excel software design products, but short of actually hand drawing an enclosure design on paper and scanning it to a jpeg file, I have no software that enables me to post a design concept.

Is there any good free design software that will let me do this on the PC? MS Paint sucks for this BTW, and it sucks for drawing shematics as well... I just want something that will enable me to draw a virtual picture of the final enclosure so that I can tweak before trying to build.
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Re: Free CAD???

Have you tried SketchUp?

Comment

Originally posted by vapor602 View Post
      Have you tried SketchUp?
      Nope never heard of it, I'll look it up.
      HAGD,
      Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Or eMachineShop, it's 2D/3D, you can't do textures or colors though, super duper simple compared to SketchUp, but also a bit limited.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Sketchup is probably the best option for free 3D CAD. It's not as powerful as the expensive 3D CAD packages out there,but it's very easy to use. I also use Draftsight when I need a free 2D CAD program with an interface that's nearly identical to older versions oF AutoCAD.

Comment

http://www.caddit.net/progecad/smart.php

Uses the Autocad interface, and while I have found a few differences most Autocad tutorials will get you through Progecad questions.

Older versions of Turbocad can be found for next to nothing, as well. I learned how to use that software in a weekend, and it works just groovy.

Sketchup seems to be popular, but I personally have found it to be overkill for laying out build plans. Makes pretty concept pictures though
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

LibreCAD. I've been using it for years. Certainly not the most advanced, but it does what it does well.

Comment

Originally posted by marscoast View Post
                LibreCAD. I've been using it for years. Certainly not the most advanced, but it does what it does well.
                LibreCAD looks pretty nice - Thanks! Linux support is crucial for me.....

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by WernerM View Post
                  Okay, so I understand PCD and other excel software design products, but short of actually hand drawing an enclosure design on paper and scanning it to a jpeg file, I have no software that enables me to post a design concept.

Is there any good free design software that will let me do this on the PC? MS Paint sucks for this BTW, and it sucks for drawing shematics as well... I just want something that will enable me to draw a virtual picture of the final enclosure so that I can tweak before trying to build.
                  This may be of interest to you.

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-ele...ing-express/#3

I was curious to see what PTC was charging for personal use licenses for Creo (new moniker for new flavor of ProEngineer) and saw the free download at the link. From the description, it looks like it might be excessively dumbed down and hobbled, but also a free download. I have not tried it, am using my smartphone right now as I am posting this, and I am not seeing it being compatible with Android.

;-)

"Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                  of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                  - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                  A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                  (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

An advantage of Sketchup that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to design the enclusre exactly as you would build it, including joinery.
                    Allows you to see if it really goes together as expected.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                      An advantage of Sketchup that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to design the enclusre exactly as you would build it, including joinery.
                      Allows you to see if it really goes together as expected.
                      +1. This is exactly what I like about Sketchup. I don't even write down the dimensions of the panels I need to cut; I just use the tape measure tool in Sketchup.

Having the visual representation helps me plan which panels need to be cut a bit larger and then trimmed with a router.

Comment

Working...
                      X