X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    Re: Digger8 Sub - diggity dig it all the way to 20Hz

the JBL driver looks pretty good for $47! Did you measure it or take JBL's specs? What are the specs? Can't read em at Amazon

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

I'm thinking about just using a vinyl in all white. I'm not good with finishing and my painting sucks. Just need to even out the wood as none of the panels lined up perfectly (i.e. the top left of the baffle is slightly high while top right is slightly low...either that or the sides wouldn't line up). All the panels are like this. It was a bit frustrating putting it together and lining things up the best I could. These were CNC'd. So I just plan on using some wood filler and sanding the best I can and covering with a vinyl.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin G.
    replied

Any thoughts on finishes yet?

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Bryan,
    I'm not worried about the electronics. Theyre quite tough. And most plate amps have exposed electronics with no problems.

Fastbike,
    I'll post up screen shots of my modeling on friday. I'm not working tomorrow and WBCD is only installed on my work computer. I get flat response down to 20Hz. You may be using some wrong values. I'll try tp get clear shots of the screen. If not, I'll post up all the values. My work greatly limits my web browsing capabilities, so posting pictures and screen shots are actually difficult.

Johnny,
    Yeah, the old Infinity looks very similar aside from a few changes. I like the look. And performance has been great so far.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Thanks for the extra info. I'm still not getting close to your sim though. Really academic though. The GTO 804 is pretty appealing with either model. At any rate, I'd use measured params and WBCD which works particularly well for modeling PRs. FWIW, this box model shows flatter response and lower F3/10 if tuned to 27Hz (~340 gms on the PR). 575gms puts F3 @ 29 and F10 at 20 because it starts a gradual rolloff at ~60 and the has the knee at ~22. The 27Hz tune puts the knee pretty much at Vb.
    There has been a fair bit of love for the Infinity 1260W and it looks like the GTOs are in the same vein. I'm seeing GTO 804s at ~$55 shipped.

Originally posted by jsr View Post
    The PR is a Dayton 12" SD315 (I should've noted that...will edit now).
    Vb = 24L
    Added mass = 575g (what I currently have in there, LOTS of washers!)
    LPF @ 100Hz LR2 (I usually have it set around 80-100Hz for HT and about 70-80Hz for music)

PR will reach xmax well before the JBL, but so far I haven't had to put enough power through it to have it hit xmax yet. I know my hearing doesn't go to 20Hz. Hearing damage from when I was younger playing with too much bass in cars. There's plenty of output at 20Hz...so far, there's nothing in the performance to make me think the model is much off.

Kevin -
    Multiples of these would be perfect as it would help address nulls in the room from a single sub. And for the cost and size, you can both afford to buy/make and fit more in whatever room you choose.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Amp is a Yung SD300 class D which is more than needed for this project, but for $15 difference between the 200W and 300W, I chose more power.
    I have a Yung SD100 - got it on special shortly after they came out, but it's still sitting in a storage bin. One thing that struck me right away was the exposed innards. Since you did a sealed sub, did you happen to encase the plate amp in its own sub-enclosure? I worry obsessively about vibration, internal pressure, etc., that potentially eats away at PCBs and whatnot over time. I know it's a bad habit.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Just a "reference" for the Infinity sub I mentioned. I believe they are similar, if not the same, motors on them.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

The JBL GTO series is underrated IMO. I have a GTO1214D in a 1 ft^3 sealed box for my home workstation and it's superb. Great sensitivity, so you don't need to feed it too much to get it going and the bass is nice and punchy. I'm positive there could be some fun to be had with this sub in different alignments.

I'm not surprised at all that the OP has realized such good results with the 8" version.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Kind of made sense to me because the spider looks enormous for the size of the driver.

The inner portion is mainly a machined aluminum? piece to hold the spider and attaches to the magnet. The outer portion holds the magnet from the bottom and reaches around, connecting to the machined spider holder up to the top to form the outer frame. It's pretty attractive in person. And the banana connectors are a nice addition. It's Infinity brother is a more conventional design, a good bit deeper in mounting depth and uses plan tabs for the terminals. I wasn't a huge fan of the JBL's cone aesthetics until I mounted it in the enclosure and now thinks it looks really nice. And it's fun to see that much excursion from a small driver while running test tones.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I have a pair of the previous generation Infinity Reference, the 850. From the pictures it looks to be close to the same motor as the JBL. Mine measured fairly close to the manufacturers specs and they are capable of prodigious output in a sealed box in-car. 50Hz F3 in a dinky box, too.

Always glad to see some love for the superb car audio subs on the market these days.

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

The inner portion is mainly a machined aluminum? piece to hold the spider and attaches to the magnet. The outer portion holds the magnet from the bottom and reaches around, connecting to the machined spider holder up to the top to form the outer frame. It's pretty attractive in person. And the banana connectors are a nice addition. It's Infinity brother is a more conventional design, a good bit deeper in mounting depth and uses plan tabs for the terminals. I wasn't a huge fan of the JBL's cone aesthetics until I mounted it in the enclosure and now thinks it looks really nice. And it's fun to see that much excursion from a small driver while running test tones.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Just looking at some pics of the JBL on sites, it seems to have two structures. Seems like it has a normal frame and then an outer one. I wonder if that outer frame adds more integrity or is there for another reason. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

No Dayton I found that would go this low in something so small (or this low period), or have as much xmax.
    I got the JBL from Amazon. The Infinity REF860W can be dropped in with near identical performance and it has a bit more xmax (13mm vs. 11.5mm of the JBL). I had the Infinity before in my car, but gave it to a friend. Subjectively, and in 2 different applications, (so giant grain of salt) I think the JBL is a bit cleaner in output. They're both car subs, but I've found the Harmon subs work well for home designs. The TB W8-740 I think will do ok also...won't go quite as low, but close. But it cost more than the JBL GT804 or Infinity 860W.
    Footprint is buried in my first post (sorry about that). 9" x 14" footprint, 20" high. It's pretty unobtrusive in my living room. Smaller than my 12" commercial subs while digging deeper.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin G.
    replied

Is there a Dayton Sub that will fit nicely in this array?
    Where did you find the JBL?
    Footprint measurements?

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

The PR is a Dayton 12" SD315 (I should've noted that...will edit now).
    Vb = 24L
    Added mass = 575g (what I currently have in there, LOTS of washers!)
    LPF @ 100Hz LR2 (I usually have it set around 80-100Hz for HT and about 70-80Hz for music)

PR will reach xmax well before the JBL, but so far I haven't had to put enough power through it to have it hit xmax yet. I know my hearing doesn't go to 20Hz. Hearing damage from when I was younger playing with too much bass in cars. There's plenty of output at 20Hz...so far, there's nothing in the performance to make me think the model is much off.

Kevin -
    Multiples of these would be perfect as it would help address nulls in the room from a single sub. And for the cost and size, you can both afford to buy/make and fit more in whatever room you choose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X