X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsr
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jul 2011

Re: Digger8 Sub - diggity dig it all the way to 20Hz

I designed the Digger8 with 3 goals to achieve simultaneously: dig deep, compact as possible including minimizing floor space area, and low cost. There are plenty of ways to get 2 of the 3 while conceding on one of those so if that's ok for you, the design can certainly be modified to accommodate that. But getting all 3 of those was what t couldn't find in an existing design be it diy or commercial. If cost is not an issue, I would forego the PR and go with a larger driver in a more compact enclosure with a nice amp that has EQ, but that design would cost considerably more, but retains the size and extension attributes. I looked into various PRs including CSS, TC and Seas and had good experience with AE many years ago, but I knew of their typical lead times. The others were just to high in cost for me and the projects goals. But feel free to adjust to suit your needs and budget. I can help if needed.
    Kevin, I think the damage to the PR cone came from the weights hitting the brace while the cone still had a lot of momentum. I don't think having the weights is what caused it. If there were sufficient space behind the weights, I don't think the cone would have been damaged (though there's the potential for the surround to tear). You can sand/cut the brace a bit to provide more travel. I had to do that with mine also, but that was due to a poorly made enclosure that didn't fit together right.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

• kevin007
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jsr
      Kevin, I think the damage to the PR cone came from the weights hitting the brace while the cone still had a lot of momentum. I don't think having the weights is what caused it. If there were sufficient space behind the weights, I don't think the cone would have been damaged (though there's the potential for the surround to tear). You can sand/cut the brace a bit to provide more travel. I had to do that with mine also, but that was due to a poorly made enclosure that didn't fit together right.
      Ya that is exactly right. The washers hang on the back and they hit the brace. I think IMHO that the AE PR will work better since it wont have anything hanging on the back of it. If the brace wasn't directly behind it, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Kevin
      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
      OS MTM's
      Digger 8 sub
      Overnight Sensations Center Channel
      Sprite Build
      Wolf's PC Speakers
      Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

• fastbike1
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Mar 2010

The CSS PR won't have weights hanging off the back either. Not as esthetic as the AE, but will functionally be the same. Jeff Bagby's "tutorial" thread on modeling PRs in WBCD used the CSS PR.
        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

• Benji
          Been Around Awhile
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by fastbike1
          The CSS PR won't have weights hanging off the back either. Not as esthetic as the AE, but will functionally be the same. Jeff Bagby's "tutorial" thread on modeling PRs in WBCD used the CSS PR.
          jsr, if you could model the CSS PR or let me know how I could do it that would be awesome! Thank you!

I found these specs in case they help:

I figure model the CSS as a possible replacement while we wait for the AE PR's and if they delay as much has been suggested, at least then we have another option even if it does break the budget :(

Comment

• johngalt47
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Mar 2009

I am working on one of mine that takitaj sent me as a flat pack. I honestly don't see how the weights in these are going to hit the brace. I guess I will find out when they are finished.

Comment

• Benji
              Been Around Awhile
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by johngalt47
              I am working on one of mine that takitaj sent me as a flat pack. I honestly don't see how the weights in these are going to hit the brace. I guess I will find out when they are finished.
              As far as I can remember from this thread/Kevin's thread, the Dayton requires a lot of additional weights to be added to the back whereas the AE PR12-970 already has the right weighting.

Comment

• johngalt47
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Benji
                As far as I can remember from this thread/Kevin's thread, the Dayton requires a lot of additional weights to be added to the back whereas the AE PR12-970 already has the right weighting.
                I added about 565 grams of washers on mine.

Comment

• jsr
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Benji
                  jsr, if you could model the CSS PR or let me know how I could do it that would be awesome! Thank you!

I found these specs in case they help:

I figure model the CSS as a possible replacement while we wait for the AE PR's and if they delay as much has been suggested, at least then we have another option even if it does break the budget :(
                  With the CSS 12", 650g of added mass will get a F3 of 20.7Hz with a HPF at 18Hz. The PR will not exceed its Xmax, but the active driver will at 200W below 20Hz.

I used 575g of added mass with the Dayton 12" PR. The Dayton's cone has a mass of 200g, so a total of 775g moving mass. According to the CSS data sheet, the CSS has a lighter cone at 94g, for a total moving mass of 744g, so about the same as the Dayton. But the CSS has much more excursion, to the point that it will allow the active driver to exceed Xmax. But the JBL and Infinity both have a pretty healthy Xmechanical.
                  Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)

Comment

• Benji
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Oct 2013

AWESOME jsr! Thank you for doing that for us, gives us another option at least! Can't wait to experience the Digger8!

Comment

• jsr
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jul 2011

NP. Hope you guys can finish your builds soon and enjoy the Digger.

Comment

• engr_dave
                        • Nov 2006

Built Digger8 and Overnight Sensations for 2.1 PC system. Infinity 860W with Yung 200w (no boost) amp. Ordered AE PR in December; hoping to see it in another couple of months. In the meantime, I fashioned an external port: 3" x 42" This gives Fb = F3 ~24Hz. Hole for port will disappear when the PR opening is cut. Had to put an elbow in it to tuck it in the corner under the wet bar where the computer is sitting. Pretty amazing bass for an 8" sub. I have a few photos of the build I'll try to "dig" up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Digger 8 temporary port.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1155408

Comment

• JCSquats
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Dec 2011

I almost say... keep the the long PVC port.

Got an email from AE saying my PR is on the build table! Originally ordered on October 24th.

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by engr_dave
                            Built Digger8 and Overnight Sensations for 2.1 PC system. Infinity 860W with Yung 200w (no boost) amp. Ordered AE PR in December; hoping to see it in another couple of months. In the meantime, I fashioned an external port: 3" x 42" This gives Fb = F3 ~24Hz. Hole for port will disappear when the PR opening is cut. Had to put an elbow in it to tuck it in the corner under the wet bar where the computer is sitting. Pretty amazing bass for an 8" sub. I have a few photos of the build I'll try to "dig" up!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44330[/ATTACH]
                            Up periscope! :p Awesome. Nice wine shelf - did you build it by any chance?

I've got two Infinity 8's waiting for boxes. Plan was to use them for two 2.1 systems, but now I'm thinking they might end up as stands for my mains in my HT. Amazing how low these little subs model in such small boxes. Can't wait to hear one (or two )

Comment

• jsr
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Jul 2011

Haha, I have sub that's like that with a port sticking out. The port is actually extendable so i can adjust tuning.
                              Glad to see your guys' builds are coming to fruition.
                              I've been looking into another design that's smaller, roughly about 0.6-0.7cf with an 8in reaching almost as deep as the Digger8, but requires a Bash amp for the EQ boost. Any interest?

Comment

• Benji
                                Been Around Awhile
                                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by JCSquats
                                I almost say... keep the the long PVC port.

Got an email from AE saying my PR is on the build table! Originally ordered on October 24th.
                                Me too! Yay!

Originally posted by AE Email
                                Hello Benji,

Your PR12-970 is now on the build table being assembled. I will contact you after it has been tested, packaged and is ready to ship. Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...