DATS and the oscilloscope and signal generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DATS and the oscilloscope and signal generator

I just received the new DATS as an upgrade of the WT3. While it's still as useful for measuring driver parameters, I was curious about the use of the new oscilloscope and signal generator. After reading the limited documentation in the software, after not getting much help from the PE tech staff, I'm still curious and now turn to the estimable Techtalk Forum: just how are these two features useful in loudspeaker design? Jeff Bagby notes in a different thread that the scope can't be used for frequency responce. I'd love to use these features, but I'm at a loss.
    Thanks, Bob

Re: DATS and the oscilloscope and signal generator

I've never used a scope or signal gen for loudspeaker design (but, I have for amplifier design), nor am I familiar with the particulars of DATS; but ... if I were in your shoes, here is how I would think about these tools.

The signal generator can be used for generating test tones/sweeps (signal gen --> amplifier --> speaker under test) for either listening or measurement with a mic. Maybe use it to break-in drivers, guaranteed to drive the wife and kids crazy.

The scope could be used to visually evaluate the electrical performance of a crossover circuit (but this won't show you the resulting acoustic performance of the circuit+drivers). Using the same signal chain as above, you can input a test tone and visually observe what happens to that signal throughout the crossover circuit. Same goes for the output of your amplifier -- you'll be able to see just how hi-fi your amp is (or, is not).

Sounds like fun to me!

Comment

Thanks for the input.....your description of the signal generator makes sense, since I believe there are speaker design tools that will monitor a speaker driven with a frequency sweep to produce a frequency response plot.

I don't understand the scope part. What would I look for on the scope? Whether the tone comes out as a clean sine wave?

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by BobMalsberger View Post
        I don't understand the scope part. What would I look for on the scope? Whether the tone comes out as a clean sine wave?
        To be honest, I'm really kinda stumped as to how I would put the scope to use

If you are familiar with measurement software (such as HOLM or Dayton OmniMic), you can compare what the scope can (and can't) do for you as far as speaker design and measurement. HOLM will output a test signal, which you route through an amp to drive your speaker under test. The mic hears the output of the speaker, and generates a visual graph of the speaker's response.

The scope is basically a voltmeter that visually shows you electronic waveforms (with which you could plot the frequency response of your crossover circuit). But, the scope is unable to measure the output of the drivers, which is a big part of what we need to know in the process of designing a speaker.

I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
        X