Yung or Bash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yung or Bash

Just a heads up, there seems to be some misinformation regarding the Yung plate amps and hi-pass filters. Yung technical support has stated that ALL SD-series plate amps have a hi-pass filter at 30 hz. If a link is not allowed then please delete.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2CGhk4jhb

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
        Those don't seem very useful, with maximum high-pass frequencies of 100Hz.
        Aren't you concerned about localization crossing so high?
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Typically, 150 Hz has been the accepted point for localization, but one octave lower has been my ROF (ask Chris Roemer about ROF).
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            Just a heads up, there seems to be some misinformation regarding the Yung plate amps and hi-pass filters. Yung technical support has stated that ALL SD-series plate amps have a hi-pass filter at 30 hz. If a link is not allowed then please delete.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2CGhk4jhb
            Wouldn't that make the 500W amp with the boost set at 30Hz essentially virtually no boost? Doesn't make sense. I'm wondering whether there may be a misunderstanding. I've found chinese mfrs sometimes provide incorrect answers due to unknown areas of where there is a misunderstanding.
            Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
            Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
            Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
            Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Hi Wolf!

How's little wolfy doing?

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the party on this. The Yung SD Series plate amplifiers are flat to 30 Hz, -1.5 dB @ 22.5 Hz, and -3 dB @ 21 Hz. I have no information on modifying this filter and strongly discourage it as Yung has designed the amplifiers to perform to high standards with the filter in place as-is.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV@parts-express.com View Post
                  Sorry I'm late to the party on this. The Yung SD Series plate amplifiers are flat to 30 Hz, -1.5 dB @ 22.5 Hz, and -3 dB @ 21 Hz. I have no information on modifying this filter and strongly discourage it as Yung has designed the amplifiers to perform to high standards with the filter in place as-is.
                  It might be smart to have somebody measure one ASAP and make some kind of statement on the subject, preferably with graphs. Because when Yung were contacted directly by this guy at HT Shack they told a very different story. Word is spreading at other forums too. That word being that these amps have a 30 hz hpf and are therefore useless (well, far from optimum) for many purposes.

Not that I don't believe what you say, but the DIY geeks will want to see evidence of measurements if they can be had.

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                    Wouldn't that make the 500W amp with the boost set at 30Hz essentially virtually no boost? Doesn't make sense. I'm wondering whether there may be a misunderstanding. I've found chinese mfrs sometimes provide incorrect answers due to unknown areas of where there is a misunderstanding.
                    The 500W boost model is supposed to have 6dB boost at 25Hz. Seems like that'd be impossible if it has a HPF at 30Hz...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV@parts-express.com View Post
                      Which would make it a 2nd order HFP at 21Hz, right? (since it's -3dB at 21Hz)

What about the boost models... especially the 300W and 500W with boost at 30Hz and 25Hz, respectively?

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii View Post
                        Which would make it a 2nd order HFP at 21Hz, right? (since it's -3dB at 21Hz)

What about the boost models... especially the 300W and 500W with boost at 30Hz and 25Hz, respectively?
                        Those are high pass filters too, set at those frequencies, with a Q of 2
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

A member at the Shack bought the SD200-6 and found that there is boost, and the Fc does calculate to be about 30Hz, but the boost calculated to 2.5 db, not 6 db.

He also owns the SD-500 and will take it apart and check the resistors to see where Fc is set.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                            Aren't you concerned about localization crossing so high?
                            With a single sub, yes. With multisubs, no.

But also, keep in mind that one could potentially use plate amps for "flanking subs" too. (My currently under-construction speakers have flanking subs under the right and left mains) These, given the close proximity to the mains, could play up to 200, even 250Hz, depending on what sounds/measures best. So plate amps, IMO, should have at least the upper-end capability of the Oaudio BASH plate with the crossover defeated.

Originally posted by antisuck View Post
                            Word is spreading at other forums too. That word being that these amps have a 30 hz hpf and are therefore useless (well, far from optimum) for many purposes.
                            Home theater types who post in forums as a rule are awfully obsessed with things that don't matter much.
                            --
                            "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

According to info I have seen (from PE's Mike V? not sure), the Yung amps are supposedly flat to 30Hz, and -3dB at 21Hz. That's a 21Hz HPF not 30.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of info flying around about the Yung Amps. Anyone have anything more substantiated or some real tests done? I can certainly handle a 21Hz HPF but 30Hz seems like I'm going to kill a lot of the signal I'm upgrading for.

As far as the choice between amps, can you guys provide opinions on which amp to go with? 15" Dayton HF in a ported enclosure, ideally tuned around 18Hz for HT application in a 20x15 room. The Bash 300W and the Yung 500W (w/Boost) are both priced very well right now. The Bash seems like a very popular and reliable amp with better THD and adjustable boost/HPF. However, I wouldn't mind having the extra power the Yung provides for only $17 but I'd really prefer the non-boost model for my ported build (which for some reason isn't on sale with its boosted counterpart. Would a PE rep like to change that pretty please?? :D). Moving up to the 500W Bash is a $140 proposition and I'm not sure it'd be worth it as I'm not looking for mega-SPL, just quality low-extension bass that completes the HT experience. Opinions?

Edit: Thought I should note that my receiver has a manual EQ band for the subwoofer at 25Hz. Can I EQ down ~6dB and defeat the boost? The bandwidth of the EQ and filter may not be the same but will it be enough to cause issues?

PS - I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'd be better served starting a new thread. I thought this seemed like an appropriate place for this discussion. If not, kindly tell me to buzz off .

Comment

Working...
                                X