Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the bass boost on Yung amps, specifically the Yung SD300-6

Hi all,

Anybody know how to adjust the bass boost on the Yung SD300-6 amp (or any of it's boosted brethren)? Or know how to figure out how to adjust it? My plight is as follows...

I've been following JSR's thread on his little 8" sub build with a passive radiator that likes to dig down low; somebody brought up using the same driver, the JBL GTO8, or it's brother woofer - the Infinity 860w - in a sealed box with some boost down low. Here's the thread <a href="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?234058-Digger8-Sub-diggity-dig-it-all-the-way-to-20Hz">Diggity Sub</a> The Yung SD300-6 was suggested.

Having all three of those items in my possession, and having JSR beat me to the punch (no pun intended... ok, maybe a little bit intended) at building that particular design (I have the loooooong port version of that enclosure) I mused at tweaking the bass boost on the Yung amp to suit my needs for a sealed version.

I loaded up the 8" Infinity Reference 860w in my sealed enclosure that was sitting in the garage and hooked it up to my HT to see what it sounded like. Initial observations say, 'mehhh... it's got some rumble. But I bet I can do better'. The sub was brand new and took a day or two to break in, not on principle, but because I could actually hear the difference. I had the gain setting almost all the way up to begin with, then, while watching a Marvel flick (boom boom boom things started to get obnoxiously loud so I adjusted the gain til it sounded good. Anyways, it wasn't as musical as I was hoping for, but I didn't allow adequate time for the sub to break in before judging it. So I'll have to re-evaluate that later. I say it wasn't what I was hoping for, mostly because when I turned the xover up, the bass became more directional and didn't sound quite right, almost like it was out of phase but adjusting the phase made no difference (my mains are MTM 5 1/4" woofers running full range tuned ~54hz) but I believe the gain pumped up had a lot to do with it.

I posed the question of altering the bass boost to PE and this was their reply:

"The boost and frequency are fixed. This model doesn't show a circuit diagram for modifying either. As such, you would need some expertise in electronics and be aware you would be voiding the warranty."

Perhaps the diagram doesn't show it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.... :eek: Yes, yes, shocking, I know... I mean, everything the post on the internet is true, right? Even french models :D So i'm going to try and discover the truth to see if I can actually modify the amp. Only problem is, I'm not an electronics expert. But that never stopped me before! However, if anybody has any thoughts, tips, or a better knowledge base on the subject, I'd sure appreciate it!

I also have a Bash 300 amp for my 12" HT sub and it came with instructions to modify the bass boost via two resistors that can be swapped. It even comes with a handy dandy little chart that shows what values should be used to achieve different boost levels at different frequencies.

Re: Adjusting the bass boost on Yung amps, specifically the Yung SD300-6

It can be done if you are able to remove and re solder surface mount resistors. :-(

Sam

Comment

Happen to know which ones and what values to use? I know it can be a real bear, but I may be able to find the courage to dig in.

Comment

Originally posted by Blenton View Post
        I've been following JSR's thread on his little 8" sub build with a passive radiator that likes to dig down low; somebody brought up using the same driver, the JBL GTO8, or it's brother woofer - the Infinity 860w - in a sealed box with some boost down low.
        I think it was me that made that suggestion...more a response to someone else's question on how a sealed 860w would look.

It's going to be difficult to find out what part to change without having the schematic. You need to find the pre-amp section. Try taking down PNs for all the chips in the pre-amp section and looking them up. You need to find the op-amp that is doing the boost and from there, trace which resistors bias the op-amp. Then have some model it to see which adjusts frequency.

I'm curious to know also, but think it will be a never answered question. Unless you send it to an amp designer and have him reverse engineer the pre-amp. Zed Audio in California may do it...not sure if he takes on that type of work any more, but it likely won't be free unless you can sweet talk him into making it a challenge.
        Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
        Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
        Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
        Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
        Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Check out this thread (and perhaps contact the member bgarcia17):
          http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-amps-css.html

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
            It can be done if you are able to remove and re solder surface mount resistors. :-(

Sam
            PM me

Comment

Working...
            X