Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in building Econowaves from scratch, anyone familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in building Econowaves from scratch, anyone familiar?

I've been reading through the threads at Audiokarma & here at PETT on the Econowaves and think I'd like to try a set. However, I'm completely overwhelmed by the options and need some advice on which version to build. It seems like there's about a thousand iterations of the design. Is there a good starter model I can try from scratch?

Re: Interested in building Econowaves from scratch, anyone familiar?

Originally posted by kaidomac View Post
    I've been reading through the threads at Audiokarma & here at PETT on the Econowaves and think I'd like to try a set. However, I'm completely overwhelmed by the options and need some advice on which version to build. It seems like there's about a thousand iterations of the design. Is there a good starter model I can try from scratch?
    Go for the gusto and build the Econowave Deluxe.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I am currently working on a kit using the SEOS 12 waveguide. It is a 95dB two-way with a real crossover, flat response, and correct phase / time alignment. It will be available soon.

Jeff
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Jeff B's kit may be your best bet. I haven't been impressed with the woofer/wg crossover performance I've had personally (KLH 17 EW project per Zilch) and others at AK.org.
        There's been lots of data published on the performance of the WG but seemingly, a derth of data that includes the transition from the woofer to the WG. I suspect Jeff B. has found a good solution.
        Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          I am currently working on a kit using the SEOS 12 waveguide. It is a 95dB two-way with a real crossover, flat response, and correct phase / time alignment. It will be available soon.

Jeff
          Sweet! Looking forward to it.

Comment

Got a link to a set of detailed build instructions by any chance? (if they exist)

Comment

Jeff
              Awesome! How soon is soon, may i ask? Will this design be available as a kit from meniscus too? Any hints on the woofer and tweeter used? Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by sorue View Post
                Awesome! How soon is soon, may i ask? Will this design be available as a kit from meniscus too? Any hints on the woofer and tweeter used? Hehe
                No, this one won't be through Meniscus, although I will have a new one there too - a tiny HT speaker. This one will be on DIYsoundgroup.org with a knock-down cabinets too. I am also planning a larger version and a subwoofer for the system too. I will post details on my SEOS waveguide project in a few days. Here's a teaser pic of the prototype though:

Comment

No, this one won't be through Meniscus, although I will have a new one there too - a tiny HT speaker. This one will be on DIYsoundgroup.org with a knock-down cabinets too. I am also planning a larger version and a subwoofer for the system too. I will post details on my SEOS waveguide project in a few days. Here's a teaser pic of the prototype though:
                  I think that's dot com, not dot org. :D

Comment

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                      I think that's dot com, not dot org. :D
                      Well that's your fault..... for asking a mentally challenged person to help you. ;)

I'm not as young as I used to be.

Comment

Dang! I just ordered a similar but smaller kit. That speaker is going to be a monster. How low will it go? I would guess 40 to 50hz. Nevermind you can ignore my impatience lol.

Comment

I'm sitting on 3 of the SEOS waveguides, waiting to see what designs develop.

To the OP, I built a pair of the original Econowaves with the 12" Dayton woofer. I used some old Pioneer cabs, in the spirit of the Econowave movement. These were budget designs, they sound surprisingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                            Dang! I just ordered a similar but smaller kit. That speaker is going to be a monster. How low will it go? I would guess 40 to 50hz. Nevermind you can ignore my impatience lol.
                            Yes, I targeted 40Hz. The speaker has an F3 of 40 and an F6 of 38Hz. It uses the Eminence Definimax 4012HO. I chose this woofer over several others that are very popular because I wanted at least 40hz extension so the speaker could be used as a relatively full-range design if someone wanted to use it that way.

I may do a more efficient version too, but it won't extend as deep - that whole Iron Law thingy. There may be a 15" version coming too.

I am presently tweaking the crossover for the one pictured. Erich will have the details soon.

Jeff

Comment

Yes, I targeted 40Hz. The speaker has an F3 of 40 and an F6 of 38Hz. It uses the Eminence Definimax 4012HO. I chose this woofer over several others that are very popular because I wanted at least 40hz extension so the speaker could be used as a relatively full-range design if someone wanted to use it that way.

I may do a more efficient version too, but it won't extend as deep - that whole Iron Law thingy. There may be a 15" version coming too.

I am presently tweaking the crossover for the one pictured. Erich will have the details soon.

Jeff
                              If only I had more room :( Oh and just realized that Jeff, you are entering monkey coffin territory :D

Comment

Working...
                              X