Interested in building Econowaves from scratch, anyone familiar?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smokarz
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jun 2011

Re: Interested in building Econowaves from scratch, anyone familiar?

Originally posted by Sonic Temple
    Ooooooooo....

Sweet :thumbup:

Subscribed

I suggest you take it slow, or you might end up being extremely addicted to the SEOS projects....

;)

Comment

• Sonic Temple
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by smokarz
      I suggest you take it slow, or you might end up being extremely addicted to the SEOS projects....

;)
      Might be too late for that

Comment

• foxfire3
        • Jun 2008

Jeff, did you miss my post asking what the "Classic Jeff Bagby Voicing" sounds like?

Thanks...

Comment

• GranteedEV
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by foxfire3
          Jeff, did you miss my post asking what the "Classic Jeff Bagby Voicing" sounds like?

Thanks...
          I suggest googling various reviews of Jeff's designs - The Galileo /the Salk Archos, The Salk Pharos, Salk HTS, The Piccolo and Mandolin, The Kairos, the RS 180 MTM, and of course the continuum. It's tough for someone to describe their own voicing after all.
          :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

• ligs
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Aug 2009

I expect SOTA(state of the art) reproduction of human voices in all Jeff's speakers and this impression is from reading descriptions

Comment

• foxfire3
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by GranteedEV
              I suggest googling various reviews of Jeff's designs - The Galileo /the Salk Archos, The Salk Pharos, Salk HTS, The Piccolo and Mandolin, The Kairos, the RS 180 MTM, and of course the continuum. It's tough for someone to describe their own voicing after all.
              Granteed, thanks for the reply, but I'm sure I could sit and read endless reviews on those speakers and still not understand what his "voicing" is like.

Perhaps Jeff can chime in sometime.

Comment

• Mark65
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jul 2007

I believe, from what I've read (and by all means, Jeff or anyone who has actually heard his designs correct me if I'm off base here), that Jeff generally goes for (and achieves) articulate, without being clinical, and I don't believe that he is really ever after squeezing that last bit of extension out a design; rather, he lets the driver do what it will, comfortably. And accurate mids are paramount.

Jeff, have I got that about right?;)

Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• Jeff B.
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mark65
                  I believe, from what I've read (and by all means, Jeff or anyone who has actually heard his designs correct me if I'm off base here), that Jeff generally goes for (and achieves) articulate, without being clinical, and I don't believe that he is really ever after squeezing that last bit of extension out a design; rather, he lets the driver do what it will, comfortably. And accurate mids are paramount.

Jeff, have I got that about right?;)

Mark
                  My voicing is easy to describe - in the end, it sounds right to me. ;)

Actually I think the question is a bit paradoxical and one that I would generally attempt to avoid answering and allow a third party to answer instead. My point above was that I am usually pretty consistent in what sounds correct to my ear in a speaker's balance, so most of my designs tend to have similar balance to them as a result. (As would be the case with most designers - I have noticed that Wolf's designs all sound similar too, which is a good thing, since they all sound pretty good to me.)

If I were to attempt to describe my "voicing", I would say that my design process is one that involves a combination of measurements and personal listening to a lot material that I familiar with. The measurements get me 95-99 % of the way there.

I tend to target a flat response. However, as anyone else who have been doing this for a while will tell you, flat still involves some small variations and those translate into some small changes in the sound of the speaker. In other words, within a fairly tight tolerance not all "flat" sounds alike. The polar response, power response, crossover point and slopes, all contribute to the sound too, so no single axial response tells the whole story of how a speaker sounds.

Because of this, I first focus on getting the midrange, and most importantly vocals to sound as "correct" and as natural as possible - sometimes with some very small changes until I am satisified that I can't get them any better. Then I attempt to balance the high frequencies to be flat with the vocal range, so the overall response from the upper bass through the top-end usually measures very flat, with on some very precise vartiations based on my "voicing".

Also, my speakers, have usually not been accused of being light or lean in the bass. I don't personally care for thin sounding speakers because they don't sound natural to me. I listen to a lot of live music (every week) and it doesn't sound thin to me either. I don't attempt to target the most extended bass possible for a driver, but sometimes I may have a very small emphasis in the upper to mid bass range in some designs (not all) if this makes the speaker sound more naturally balanced to me (like the Continuum or Piccolo, for example).

Beyond all of this I guess I would have to say that my "voicing" just ends up with a speaker that sounds right to me.

Jeff
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• foxfire3
                    • Jun 2008

Jeff, thank you for the explanation.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the new Econowave designs you've been working on.

Comment

• badman
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jul 2008

It'll be interesting to see this when all's said and done!

Comment

• kaidomac
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Jeff B.
                        I am currently working on a kit using the SEOS 12 waveguide. It is a 95dB two-way with a real crossover, flat response, and correct phase / time alignment. It will be available soon.

Jeff
                        Any update on these guys? Tax return season is upon us :D

Comment

• Face
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kaidomac
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• Jeff B.
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by kaidomac
                            There's also information in this thread:
                            Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
                            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• kaidomac
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • May 2006

LOL @ the required "Anticipation Level" :D

What kind of amp do these puppies like? I pretty much only have low-end stuff like the Lepai TA2020+.

Comment

• DaveFred
                                Been Around Awhile
                                • Jan 2018

Anyone here build these with the Eminence Definimax 4012HO?

Comment

Working...