MegaCumLaude scaled with 10in drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MegaCumLaude scaled with 10in drivers

If I were to build a new set of speakers that I wanted to use just for music I would really lean towards the MegaCumLoudes that I saw on parts express speaker build projects. I like lots of bass in my music (rap techno progressive) and I feel that these would have the look I am going for and the value I want to say in. Only difference is I would want to use 10in woofers. I do not want to have a tall skinny speaker look. I am fine with a wide deep cabinet.

Can anyone help me with design for 10in woofers ???

Re: MegaCumLaude scaled with 10in drivers

Its an older design. The tweets and DVC subs are still available, but not the shielded versions, so the designed crossover might not be correct anymore.

Why would you want to use smaller drivers if you want lots of bass?

Comment

Well because of space available and cost of drivers parts etc. I also think it would be nice for others to take this design and use it. But I gotta think that 4 10in woofers is enough. ;)

Comment

It sounds like you are wanting something that you can play loudly. Is this correct? 2.1 is popular for a reason and your desire to have a smaller foot print is exactly why the monkey coffin is no longer being designed (well almost never).

You might want to consider something like this http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...s/mtg-kit.html or this http://speakerdesignworks.com/NS6project_1.html and then build a single sub.

Comment

Those design's are good but I just want to design 2 speakers that have great base and the monkey coffin look does not bother me.

I need help on deciding what woofers to use? Should the cabinet be ported or can I use a passive radiator? Are there advantages to doing passive radiator? Can I do one woofer facing front and one mounted on the side of the cabinet?

All design help and education I am needing is helpful. Please advise.

Comment

Do you already have a receiver or power amp that you are going to use? What is it rated at? You should be able to use passive radiators if you like. I've modeled a single Dayton (same series) 8" DVC and single 8" PR to not exceed xmas till 60 watts. Duel 10" should do better.

The advantage of using passive radiators is a smaller box. The disadvantage is, it cost more, and you will loose just a little low end(compared to ported), but not much.

If it was about cost though, the original design would be cheaper then the 10" woofers with PRs.

Comment

I do not have a receiver picked out yet. My onkyo is currently powering my HT. I wanted to pick out a new receiver after I had an idea on what speakers to use. Thoughts on what one to buy are open Do they make power amps that can play just speakers with a CD / MP3 player?

We should stick with the ports then after your comments. Do they need to be as big because the drivers are 10in? Is there a disadvantage/advantage to having one of the woofers mounted on the side of the cabinet?

Comment

Taking a quick look, the crossover point to the woofers is 400hz. Way too high for side firing woofers. Keep em front loaded. Maybe others can chime in, or you could talk with PE support, but the crossover for the woofers don't seem to be doing a whole lot. The 10" woofers might be a direct replacement, but you need to figure out the box size and port size/length.

Comment

Not sure what your budget really is, but reading your initial post, two designs came immediately to mind:

Paul Carmody's Tarkus
                  Jim Holtz' Ministatements

Comment

The Veritas were what i was thinking of since they are dual 10" woofers on the bottom. http://www.parts-express.com/project...roject=Veritas I was also thinking about the IRS as an option with smaller drivers but that was based on being tall and semi skinny. I'd wait to hear your LCRs if you haven't already.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                    Levitation TM
                    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Originally posted by MarkL View Post
                      Not sure what your budget really is, but reading your initial post, two designs came immediately to mind:

Paul Carmody's Tarkus
                      Jim Holtz' Ministatements
                      I feel the statement series would not fit this bill. Far too revealing a speaker for rocking out.
                      The tarkus is a lot closer but I have never gotten the dx25 to be all that friendly with odd recordings.
                      The OP is dead right on with taste and desire. If he is fixed on 10's, the design would be perfect. Wonder if somebody who knows better than me can help with the questions he actually asked, like if he could know what to change/redesign for the magna with dual 10's. Seemed like a very informed decision on which speakers needed!!!! When there is room for monkey coffins, do it whenever possible!!

Comment

Funny thing is, the 10" DVCs basically require the same size box as the 12"ers. I'd just build that design "as-is". OR, just go with a single 12" DVC - the box size could be halved and the low pass filter would need to be adjusted.

You MIGHT also look into the "Dayton 8's" (not in the showcase, but they still get posted on here every now and then). Dual 8" classics in a largish vented box, using the Dayton "Silky" tweeter.

Comment

Lets take a step back and try this again. Maybe it would help if I were to pick some drivers and then we can all go from there. The listed below is just a starting point based on cosmetics, size, and cost. Please understand I am not a crossover kinda guy. All that is still very new for me. So if the list below is way outta wack then please tell me why and bring me back to where I need to be.

tweeter HiVi RT2C-A
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...97-406&scqty=2

Mid range. HiVi F6
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-440

Woofer HiVi F10
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=297-450

Everything would look nice on the front . I wonder if the mid range would need to be an 8in?

Comment

I'm confused. Are you wanting to go 10" because of cost, or because of size?

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                              I'm confused. Are you wanting to go 10" because of cost, or because of size?
                              Both.... and 4 10's has got to be enough base NO????

Comment

Working...
                              X