Minidsp vs Behringer DCX2496

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minidsp vs Behringer DCX2496

The new Minidsp 4x10 in a case looks pretty darned good for $499! How do you Minidsp users think it will perform vs. the Behringer DCX 2496?

http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...inidsp-4x10-hd

Re: Minidsp vs Behringer DCX2496

MiniDSP 4x10 is WAYYYYYYY more capable than the DCX2496, if you know how to take advantage of it.

Another good option is buying TWO MiniDSP 2x4, which still comes to less than the DCX2496...

-Charlie
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

+ 10
      John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

I haven't seen a Minidsp yet but the build quality of the Behringer DCX2496 gives me no confidence of long term reliability once your initial return period or warranty expire.

Comment

Potential problem with buying 2 MiniDSP 2x4 : Do you have to plug / unplug them separately to adjust or can they both be adjusted concurrently?
          FWIW, I couldn't be happier with my 2x4 , but then again - it's just enough for a 2 way.
          The 2 x 8 seems a bit overpriced

Comment

You can only control a single MiniDSP at a time, but with their software, it would only take a minute or two to program the second one after you've done the first. The software is great.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by zobsky View Post
              Potential problem with buying 2 MiniDSP 2x4 : Do you have to plug / unplug them separately to adjust or can they both be adjusted concurrently?
              FWIW, I couldn't be happier with my 2x4 , but then again - it's just enough for a 2 way.
              I have this exact set up in my "development" room and yes, you do have to plug/unplug as you can only program one at a time. You can not make on the fly adjustments in stereo, even with the 4x10 because you can still only change one control at a time... but I don't find this to be very limiting. I connect the USB cable to the first 2x4, load the changes, unplug the cable and move it to the second 2x4 and then load the changes there. Takes about 1 minute total. No big deal in my mind, and well worth the flexibility of the MiniDSP.

Maybe Neil Davis could design concurrent on-the-fly control of more than one MiniDSP (or similar platform he might be developing) from the same GUI part of his smart new software and hardware...

-Charlie
              Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
                I haven't seen a Minidsp yet but the build quality of the Behringer DCX2496 gives me no confidence of long term reliability once your initial return period or warranty expire.
                Just wondering..... what is the issue you are concerned with specifically?

I have two units (on two systems), one I have used for 5 years, the other 4 years(and it has never been turned off in all this time excepting a couple of times when the main house power went out for a few hours) and have not had any issues as of yet. I have disassembled these units and I do not see any obvious concerns; in fact most of the parts used are of very good reputation and performance.

Perhaps concern is with regular movement and physical shock to the unit if used in a professional capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                  Maybe Neil Davis could design concurrent on-the-fly control of more than one MiniDSP (or similar platform he might be developing) from the same GUI part of his smart new software and hardware...

-Charlie
                  Nah...this is too hard. It would be easier if each miniDSP could be configured with a unique I2C address, but that's not a simple mod given the miniDSP board layout. My software addresses the DSP as an object, and treating it as two objects would require some major changes that I'm not not planning to make.

I would prefer spending the time on a lower cost version of the 4x10 with real-time control. I've got the tools to develop with the ADAU1445 and I've code for the CS42528, so the 4x10 functionality would be easy to do. It's just a matter of priorities and getting some help in productionizing...

Actually, controlling my DCX2496 is probably my next priority. I bought it over a year ago and still haven't taken it out of the box :o
                  Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

I have a DCX2496 and wouldn't mind stepping up to something better. Couple questions for you guys.

My main use would be for prototyping and for instant A/B comparisons of different crossovers. Would the 4x10 allow this once? I see it has some config tabs, I'm assuming these are the presets I'd be A/Bing. I only see 4 tabs, is that all the presets you can load?

Also it appears you can only have one HP or LP per channel, so no cascading of two LP filters. Is this correct? I think the DCX is the same way, one HP or LP, than I use BD (notch) filters for final contouring of the response, so I'm used to this limitation but it would be nice to be able to cascade HP/LP filters.

Are there off-the-shelf connectors for the balanced terminal strips to connect to a normal balanced cable? OR do I have to splice some cables?
                    ~Brandon 8O
                    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                    DriverVault
                    Soma Sonus

Comment

Mini DSP 2 x 8 product platform;

http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...%20plug-in.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by zobsky View Post
                        Considering how much pro processors with matrix routing cost (e.g. Ashly 4.8SP, ) the miniDSP is a screamingly good deal.

Originally posted by augerpro View Post
                        ***My main use would be for prototyping and for instant A/B comparisons of different crossovers. Would the 4x10 allow this once? I see it has some config tabs, I'm assuming these are the presets I'd be A/Bing. I only see 4 tabs, is that all the presets you can load?

Also it appears you can only have one HP or LP per channel, so no cascading of two LP filters. Is this correct?***

Are there off-the-shelf connectors for the balanced terminal strips to connect to a normal balanced cable?***
                        1) Yes, you can only (to my knowledge) load four presets for almost instant comparison. There is a little bit of lag in switching presets, at least on my relatively old at this point MacBook. I don't know if that's from to the Mac or the miniDSP. It's not quite an instantaneous switch.

2) If you use the GUI, I don't think you can cascade filters. If you do biquad programming instead, I think you have a lot more flexibility. But I defer to people who actually understand that stuff (Charlie, Neil, John K, Deward, etc.), so if one of them says I'm wrong, he's right.

3) Yes.
                        --
                        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I understand the draw of the miidsp, but for the 4x10 at $499 why would I pick that over say the dbx Driverack?

Comment

He He, sorry newbie here.
                            What minidsp is used for?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnycat View Post
                              I understand the draw of the miidsp, but for the 4x10 at $499 why would I pick that over say the dbx Driverack?
                              Doesn't the Driverack have 6 outputs rather than 8? (Though if one needs only 6, then that's not an issue.)

One other thing is that the nx8 miniDSP boards are less of a hassle to use with consumer gear, because it offers unbalanced I/O as well as balanced.

Also, does the Driverack have Mac-compatible software?

Lastly, and FWIW, if one doesn't need/want the digital I/O board or IR remote thingy up front, one can buy the miniDSP board and box separately from them, for some savings. (One does need to be competent enough to screw the board into the box, but that is literally all that is required.) They will include the volume knob for free, if you ask. (Or at least they did for me, because I didn't want that hole in the front of my box.)
                              --
                              "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Working...
                              X