9.2 HT systems who has one? PiC's??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.2 HT systems who has one? PiC's??

Does anyone have or designing a 9.2 HT system? I know its kinda new and nothing is formatted to play 9.2 but it would be cool to see a guy who's basement is in the process of being built.

Please post pic's of the system.

Re: 9.2 HT systems who has one? PiC's??

Just getting the basement foundation fixed and floor finished, then I'm going to put in an 11.2. I am building Selah Audio kits with the XO adjusted for flush in-wall mounting. Decreased diffraction, increased sensitivity (no BSC) and out of the way.) These won't be wimpy "in-walls", all 3/4"-1" MDF surrounded by 2x4's and some are glued to the concrete foundation wall with silicone. They are not going anywhere. Then 2 infinite baffle subwoofers with 2 x 15" Fi subwoofers each (and building in mountings for 4 more just in case I "need" more). All of the speakers (except one) are in the recommended positions. Going with a Denon 4311 which has 9 amps and will probably add an old stereo amp for the front height speakers. There will be extra stereo speaker outputs up front for trialing other speakers. I was going to go with 9.2, but thought I might as well do the extra 2 as long as the walls are open.

The room is about 16' wide (varies from 15-17') by 24' long by 9' high. Seating about 9-10' from the front. More of a family room/bar room than a theater. Sound proofing with OSB and drywall with green glue in between. Room acoustic treatments tbd as needed.

Not sure how to post photos though. It will probably 4-6 months before it is finished.

Comment

Had mine in stages since I got my Denon AV-990 two years ago, but I don't have subs and I ain't paying Yahoo! to post photos! I have the front low mains and high mount "fills" a front center, side surrounds I keep changing, rear "mains" I keep changing, a center rear, but no subs, because there's furniture in the way! I have a tiny living room (13 1/2' x12 1/2'x 7 1/2' ceilings), so 110 WPC should blow out my windows. It will "create" 9.0,9.1,9.2 from 5.0, 5.1, 7.0, 7.1 sources and does it very well. The original "Star Wars" Blu-ray does the Imperial cruiser taking off the top of your head almost as well as the original THX movie version. The "blaster" scenes do justice to the side to side effects. Now when the Giga-plex channel systems come out...

Comment

Posting photos doesn't cost anything. Open a Photobucket account(for free), upload your photos to an album there, then copy and paste the [IMG] code to your post here. Done. For Free.

No pics, it didn't happen. Them's the rules.:D

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Mark, SBCglobal.net, don't play that game no more. I'm trying to set-up using G-mail for photo hosting, but until I get my desktop back running, my Fuji camera software won't fit on the laptop's HD. This is just a baby.

Comment

You can upload any pic on your computer as a clickable thumbnail without any photo hosting website involved. That's all I ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
              Mark, SBCglobal.net, don't play that game no more. I'm trying to set-up using G-mail for photo hosting, but until I get my desktop back running, my Fuji camera software won't fit on the laptop's HD. This is just a baby.
              picasaweb.google.com
              --
              "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by tomgardner View Post
                Just getting the basement foundation fixed and floor finished, then I'm going to put in an 11.2. I am building Selah Audio kits with the XO adjusted for flush in-wall mounting. Decreased diffraction, increased sensitivity (no BSC) and out of the way.) These won't be wimpy "in-walls", all 3/4"-1" MDF surrounded by 2x4's and some are glued to the concrete foundation wall with silicone. They are not going anywhere. Then 2 infinite baffle subwoofers with 2 x 15" Fi subwoofers each (and building in mountings for 4 more just in case I "need" more). All of the speakers (except one) are in the recommended positions. Going with a Denon 4311 which has 9 amps and will probably add an old stereo amp for the front height speakers. There will be extra stereo speaker outputs up front for trialing other speakers. I was going to go with 9.2, but thought I might as well do the extra 2 as long as the walls are open.

The room is about 16' wide (varies from 15-17') by 24' long by 9' high. Seating about 9-10' from the front. More of a family room/bar room than a theater. Sound proofing with OSB and drywall with green glue in between. Room acoustic treatments tbd as needed.

Not sure how to post photos though. It will probably 4-6 months before it is finished.
                do you have a link or photo's of these speakers you talk about?? or how about a design of your room lay out??

Comment

Two RC3Rs as R and L and a horizontal center channel version WT/MW. http://www.selahaudio.com/id15.html

The surrounds are all SA-2s. http://www.selahaudio.com/id189.html All sealed.

Then I am using Fi IB woofers for the infinite baffle subwoofers. They will be positioned close to the R and L speakers. I have been getting help from the Infinitely Baffled http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi?

I'll get a room layout up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                    Had mine in stages since I got my Denon AV-990 two years ago, but I don't have subs and I ain't paying Yahoo! to post photos! I have the front low mains and high mount "fills" a front center, side surrounds I keep changing, rear "mains" I keep changing, a center rear, but no subs, because there's furniture in the way! I have a tiny living room (13 1/2' x12 1/2'x 7 1/2' ceilings), so 110 WPC should blow out my windows.
                    As other have said, there are plenty of free methods to post photos for free. I'd would really like to see this room. I would have guessed a 13x12x7 room wouldn't have room for 9 speakers being properly placed. I struggled with a 7.2 setup in my dedicated room that is 13x20x8. Or perhaps I am not understanding your setup. Also, the 110 WPC is not all channels driven at the same time. So blowing out windows won't be happening.

My personal feeling is that anything past 7.2 is a waste, even if you have a large room. With a normal sized room and that many channels it is very difficult to setup proper channel separation. Second, there is no material out there. Most movies have 5.1 or maybe 7.1 soundtracks. Why pay extra for amps and speakers to hear matrixed sound the sound engineers didn't record?
                    My Home Theater Build thread
                    My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
                    Emotiva XMC-1
                    Emotiva XPR-2
                    Emotiva XPA-5
                    Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
                    Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
                    Oppo 103D
                    Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
                    Marantz CD-5004
                    AppleTV
                    JVC RS-4910 Projector
                    100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
                    APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
                    iRule controlling it all....

Comment

all speakers are within the dolby digital recommended angles for a 7 channel setup.

(front stage with front heights)

(this is a pic of the side and rear surrounds just after the carpet went in)

Comment

Let's see if this plan shows up. Red blocks are speakers, blue subwoofers.

Studies by Toole in Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms show an increase in envelopment with more speakers as well as Audyssey http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx . I'm willing to give it a try.
                        Attached Files

Comment

We've got 9.2 channels in our HT. I've got an Onkyo PR-SC5508 configured to put out LCR, height, front wide, and surround channels. One of the .2 channels goes to the subwoofers, the other goes to the Buttkickers. The LCRs are my homebrew MTMWW speakers with active crossovers. Wiring is a nightmare, but thankfully that part is all done. However, if anything breaks after I develop Alzheimer's, no-one else will ever be able to figure out how to fix it :p.

The front wide and height channels generated by Audyssey contribute a lot more to the experience than I originally expected. I highly recommend them. I bought a couple of multichannel SACDs to try out and was blown away. Now I own nearly all the pop/rock SACD and DVD-A discs still in print. Music is so much better in that room than the family room stereo.
                          Last edited by Jonathan Anspach; 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
                          "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
                          –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Audessey corrects for my small room size (mostly). The 9.2 wasn't why I bought the Denon, it was because with the little $40 box, it will play discreet 4 channel. I have a 4' shelf of 1/4" R-T-R 4 channel tapes on 10 1/2" reels and 2 more 4' shelves of 7" reels. Pretty important to me, plus my Quad LP's. I thought I'd run the maze of wires since I had the source, and some speakers good enough for surrounds and play with it. I got some used SACD's for $5. Some are pretty good, some are like the old QUAD, pretty gimmicky.

Comment

great response guys!!! Looks great. Tom Gardner that basement you are making is going to be sweeeeet.

Comment

Working...
                              X