Cornscala Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornscala Build

My JBL's lost the foam surrounds last year and I had them rebuilt, plus paid to upgrade the crossovers. After about 6 months of use they died. Weird, both of them lost the woofers at almost the same time. Anyway, I decided it was time for a change. I have never owned horns and I've often wondered about Klipsch, so I looked into a couple of pair. I also looked at Zaph's 12.3 and was almost ready to start cutting the cabinets when I went off on a tangent and ended up with Cornscala's instead.

I wanted to modify the design some to allow for a split cabinet. After talking to Bob Crites on the phone he gave me some ideas and I went back to draw some more. I loaded everything into CutList and checked design for precuts at the yard and for an idea how much these things would cost.

Attached Files

Re: Cornscala Build

I struggled with whether or not to build a set of prototypes from MDF. I had a friend who wanted a pair, but in the end I wanted them quick so I went off the deep end and milled the real stuff first. I wanted to pay homage to the Klipsch heritage, but I could not stomach bare edged plywood. Since I build guitar cabinets I relate to resonance, and in fact I mill my solid wood cabs to 5/8" to cater to it. But for me, I want my hifi cabs to be MDF. All of the internal parts are MDF, motor board is MDF and some external parts are raw MDF. For cabinetry I took a while to think about what I wanted. I decided I wanted the **** joints similar to the old Klipsch, but with edge banding. There were some options in veneer core ply, but I chose A1 cherry over 3/4 MDF. With a little design tweaking I kept it down to 2 sheets of cherry, and 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF. Total for wood was $260.

I chopped up the raw MDF parts first, and then went to the lumber yard and picked up 2 sheets of cherry. Pulled them onto my workbench and started the rough breakdown, then final dimensions on the table saw.

Comment

I use a Festool Domino for my quick and dirty joinery. I still have a biscuit joiner, and I use it when I need something sloppy and moveable, but the Domino rules for strength and precision. All MDF faces get a double coat of Titebond III, mortises are filled and 8x40MM dominos are used. Clamped under pressure for 4 hours each. You really only need 2, but there was other things to do anyway, so why not.

Comment

Here is a shot of the coffee table I am trying to match. There are a few other cherry pieces in this room too, but the walnut strips in this will be close to where the speakers are.

Comment

I like the coffee table, can't wait to see what these look like!
          Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
          Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

+1 Dragon's Milk.

Comment

Further progress fueled by Dragon's Milk... bass cabinets are clamped and the shells done. Prebuilt some bracing and they will get sanded for some preliminary finishing. Backs are done and the access hole for the cross over is done. Finishing started on those today.

Comment

Worked on a finish that I have used before and it seems nice on the backs. Boiled linseed oil that sits for 24 hours. Then 3 coats of hand rubbed General Finish Arm-R-Seal gloss, steel wool between each coat. Then sand with 320 and apply 2 more coats of Arm-R-Seal semi-gloss. Accompanied by a Pipeworks Hyperdog.

The bottom cabinets have the ports to the upper chamber cut, as well as the middle piece. A template was made from mdf and then the final dimension was cut with a pattern bit. I truly hate mdf, it is a complete mess. I have not done a project with it in a long time, and I had forgotten how much I hated it. I had to wear a respirator to mill this stuff, and once this project is done it will take a full day to clean out the shop.

Comment

The lower enclosures were dampened with carpet padding and automotive headliner fabric. Just some minor dampening to breakup any resonance that might happen, and help to clean up things for a little more clarity. Final sanding prep using 400 grit and these cabinets are really looking great. I did a quick stacking of the components to check proportions and get some idea as to what they will look like complete. The most noteworthy part of the evening was the Goose Island Night Stalker. I've never seen this one before, and it was incredible.

Comment

I've been waiting on my order from Parts Express for over a week. I finally checked tonight and it shows delivered on 11/28, which didn't happen. I had wire and gasket material in there that I need to finish this up, so that won't get taken care of until Monday at least, and thats if I can get Parts Express to either find or replace my order.

Comment

Usually if you call them, it can/will be straightened up asap, they have an awesome customer service dept.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                      return to the source
                      leviathan system thread
                      deadhorse thread
                      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Yah, its not critical at the moment, still plenty left to do.

Comment

Turns out I am an idiot... not that this is a news flash. The box was mixed in with the other boxes from Crites.

Comment

lol sh!t happens

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Incredible woodwork artistry, and I am seriously digging those dark stouts. Local standard for me is Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, but the ultimate is Le Cocq Russian Imperial Stout.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                              X