• Show
Clear All

• Danley DTS-10 subwoofer kit build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0811.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1182913
    Friend of mine asked me to put a kit subwoofer together. So, I said: "sure, no problem".
    Little did I know..................:D

Actually, this would be the biggest subwoofer I'd be building or just assembling and with the lowest Hz highest SPL so far. Should be very interesting listen. I'll stick a mic in it too. Almost 400lbs packed......
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Re: Danley DTS-10 subwoofer kit build.

I'll be watching with interest.

For anyone else interested, there are plans available (and free) for this guy's little brother. It uses 2x Tang Band w8-740p. The drivers in the DTS-10 are proprietary (I think) so even if you had the plans (which are not available) you couldn't build it exactly the same.

BTW is that pic inside your shop? That's huge (for the big city). You could split that into apartments and retire as a landlord.
    Don't even try
    to sort out the lies
    it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by diy speaker guy View Post

BTW is that pic inside your shop? That's huge (for the big city). You could split that into apartments and retire as a landlord.
      It's outside my shop.
      I was thinking about building up in the Yard but it's strictly commercial zoning. Other wise it would become like Dambo and all us artists and makers would be priced out by wealthy Manhattan folks.

Comment

Do you have some horn mains to go along with them, something like
        Econowave or ....?

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
          Other wise it would become like Dambo and all us artists and makers would be priced out by wealthy Manhattan folks.
          Thought it was called Dumbo? ( or is that a local joke? )
          A friend in Brooklyn used to rent a rehearsal space ( for his band ) under the bridge and showed me the ongoing gentrification there.
          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Damn that's a big subwoofer! Also, what do you take pictures with? They always look nice

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
              Do you have some horn mains to go along with them, something like
              Econowave or ....?
              My friend has 2 sets of line array, Murphy corner arrays as well.
              If I like the results, I may build a copy for the shop and use it with another line array I have. Been toying with the idea of array HT for a wile too.
              In general I do not like horns and this kit sparks interest because it's such a low playing one, so I am a bit cautious but optimistic too.

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
              Thought it was called Dumbo? ( or is that a local joke? )
              A friend in Brooklyn used to rent a rehearsal space ( for his band ) under the bridge and showed me the ongoing gentrification there.
              Sorta kinda.........
              But loft apartments there sold close to a million $. It's a very nice neighborhood now.

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
              Damn that's a big subwoofer! Also, what do you take pictures with? They always look nice
              Nikon D50 which has as much megapixels as modern I-phone. But I do have a collection of lenses. This shot was done with 70-210mm AF Nikkor. Not that it's a beautiful shot anyway but I do like tripod for most situations (not this one ).

Comment

I'm sure you're going to be impressed with these. I have two tapped horns with a 12" in each and they play deep, musical and tight bass (-3dB at 17hz in room).

How much is this kit?
                "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by jonasz View Post
                  I'm sure you're going to be impressed with these. I have two tapped horns with a 12" in each and they play deep, musical and tight bass (-3dB at 17hz in room).

How much is this kit?
                  I don't think this kit is available anymore, but as I mentioned, the plans and drivers for this guy's little brother (using dual 8 inch drivers) are available.

This kit will have impressive performance but it WILL need eq or dsp, the frequency response isn't pretty. Link provided below.

Don't even try
                  to sort out the lies

Comment

This kit will have impressive performance but it WILL need eq or dsp,
                    As do all subs, unless you've got a room that has no room modes. But that would mean it has no walls or ceiling, so it wouldn't be a room. :rolleyes:
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      As do all subs, unless you've got a room that has no room modes. But that would mean it has no walls or ceiling, so it wouldn't be a room. :rolleyes:
                      Thanks for making that painfully clear Captain Obvious, but I was referring to the big ugly 10 db bump at 65 hz. Unless your room has a big suckout at 65 hz or you cross over below that bump, that's going to have to be dealt with.
                      Don't even try
                      to sort out the lies

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        You're a real winner, Bill.

Comment

Thanks for making that painfully clear Captain Obvious...
                          On second thought I'm going to apologize for the rudeness of this comment (even though you rolled your eyes at me) but I'm not going to delete it.

Over the last 4 days, people are showing up out of the blue to comment on my work, argue the smallest of details that have no bearing on the subject matter, and even question the validity of the entirety of my contributions. These are people that didn't bother to even read the threads to find out the actual topic being discussed, people that don't understand the subject matter at all (just casting votes like a popularity contest in educational threads), and people just showing up to say "you are wrong" but refusing to add any further details despite the barrage of evidence that I provided. This has happened here in several different threads and in another different forum at an unprecedented rate this week.

I think I'm going to have to consider taking a break from the forums again before I get myself in trouble. I've had enough and trouble is soon to follow if I don't shut up and go away for awhile.
                          Don't even try
                          to sort out the lies

Comment

...I think I'm going to have to consider taking a break from the forums again before I get myself in trouble. I've had enough and trouble is soon to follow if I don't shut up and go away for awhile.
                            Eh Ferget About It.
                            Perhaps you will get put on ignore lists - Sometimes "an ignore list is bliss" :D
                            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Thanks for making that painfully clear Captain Obvious, but I was referring to the big ugly 10 db bump at 65 hz. Unless your room has a big suckout at 65 hz or you cross over below that bump, that's going to have to be dealt with.
                              So? It's no more an issue that all the other peaks and valleys that will be present when you put it in a room, and shouldn't influence anyone's decision on whether to get one of these. Those who already have are enjoying the party, a party to which this forum is a very late arrival.
                              DANLEY DTS-10 "SUPER SPUD DIY KIT THE SALE IS BACK ON!!! Back by extremely popular demand, the DTS-10 is available again for a limited time. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well guys, those of you who caught the hint from Ivan a few days...
                              www.billfitzmaurice.com
                              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                              X