RSS390HF-4 Croaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS390HF-4 Croaked

I came home one day and fired things up, my sub did not sound even close to right. I pulled the driver and ran it free air, it rattles pops and cracks but the cone does not move. I suspect the motor and cone somehow became unjoined,is this something that is repairable, or should I start looking at new drivers?

Re: RSS390HF-4 Croaked

If it came loose at the cone/spider joint, it should be repairable.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Is it within the 5 yr warranty? Give PE a call and they should be able to help you out, and they may want to examine the woofer.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        Is it within the 5 yr warranty? Give PE a call and they should be able to help you out, and they may want to examine the woofer.
        Later,
        Wolf
        I was not aware that they carried a warranty, I will call in the morning, I should still have a year or so left.

Comment

It's weird that it was that way when you came home. Do you recall what you were doing during the previous use? Maybe really cranking it? Maybe the heat spread to the adhesives sometime after shutoff and caused separation while the system was no longer even powered.

Maybe mice entered thru the port while you were gone and chewed things up.

Just brainstorming here, it's probably something else....

John

Comment

Sounds like the voice coil is cooked. Does the woofer push in/out freely? If the amp was on, it could be just DC voltage that cooked it.
            Brad
            piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
              Sounds like the voice coil is cooked. Does the woofer push in/out freely? If the amp was on, it could be just DC voltage that cooked it.
              It does move in and out, It is run by an O audio plate amp, which is suppose to turn itself on and off.

It sat for awhile before I turned the system on and noticed this, it is in a sealed box and I was not pushing it hard when it was shut off last.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Later,
                Wolf

Thanks for the tip Wolf, PE did warranty the woofer!

After 9 years of love the new one started doing the same thing, it buzzes and rattles, I cant tell what is loose, it appears the VC and cone are still attached. Has any one else has this issue? Any ideas what could be buzzing and if it is repairable?

Thanks!

Comment

It's likely the mass plug under the dust cap if there is one, or the spider is loose somewhere, or the suspension has given to where the coil now is rubbing.
                  Does the coil rub on one side or not at all? If not at all, it's likely a loose suspension component, the mass plug, or a leak around the dustcap.
                  Does it sound like a wire/spring? If so, it's toast.
                  Fixable? Your call.
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

That’s too bad. If you unhook the driver, check the impedance with a multimeter. I’ve seen voice coil wires come unglued which can make the wire spring sound and sometimes a popping noise. The wiring gets stuck in the gap and keeps the driver moving much. I’ve also seen the glue joint where the spider attaches to the cone/coil come undone and it made a bad thunk/pop; I’ve even had a few show up new out of the box like that. That’s easy to diagnose with the driver out of the box, gently pushing up on the cone while watching the spider joint.

Comment

I edited my post to show the sprung coil possibility, and it still shows when I hit edit. Not sure why it's not showing up when saved.
                      If it sounds springy or like a loose wire when pushed, adjacent to Blenton's note, then it's exceeded its thermal max and is toasted and done.

Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Houston we have separation... between the cone and voice coil. You can imagine how great it sounds when the voice coil jumps out and slaps an aluminum cone. It looks like the connection at the back of the cone is pretty battered, I swear everything was all together when I I checked the other day.

Wolf, great to see you are still around. I don't recognize anyone else from when I frequented here.

This is in a just shy of 5CF sealed box packed pretty good with sound dampening material, does anyone have any experience with the new Dayton high excursion reference series? I am looking at the RSS390HE-22 , Dayton is suggesting a box much smaller than I what I have.

Comment

• DSchreck
                          DSchreck commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You could port that box you have and it may work for the HE but sealed the box is pretty big for it.

I just got a pair of the RSS390HE-22 subs my self but these will be going in a SUV I'm leaning towards 5 cu tuned to 33hz for my pair.

Yep,still going....

The new HE are for a smaller ox for sure.

You could get an Ultimax in there though.....
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Sheesh, my RSS390HF-4s are pushing ten years. I hope they don't read this thread
                          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post
                            Sheesh, my RSS390HF-4s are pushing ten years. I hope they don't read this thread
                            If your woofers are reading tech-talk you have more expensive problems anyways, what happens when they find a pretty new girlfriend they want?!

Comment

• fpitas
                              fpitas commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That's why I never taught them to read. It can only end in trouble.
                          Working...
                          X