X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting amp on PE

Hi,

I think I want it. Any feedback?

It's described as class A, but I can definitely see 4 heatsinks. I'm guessing that this is push-pull class A with MOSFET or BJT outputs and a tube amplifier stage. I wonder how it would compare to my old Musical Fidelity V-CAN....

Regards,

Rob

Re: Interesting amp on PE

I was going to order one to play with, going to use it as a pre amp.

Comment

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
      Hi,

I think I want it. Any feedback?

It's described as class A, but I can definitely see 4 heatsinks. I'm guessing that this is push-pull class A with MOSFET or BJT outputs and a tube amplifier stage. I wonder how it would compare to my old Musical Fidelity V-CAN...

Regards,

Rob
      Link??

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
        Link??
        Click on "it" in the original post.

Comment

I bet this can be easily modded to sound even better. Higher quality tube for one, better caps and more precise resistors.

Comment

I don't believe the Bravo amp has pre-outs to feed an amp. I think it requires modification to get that. Bravo does make an enclosed tube headphone amp that has pre-outs to act as a pre-amp. I researched the Bravos and other brands when I was looking into low cost methods of introducing myself to the "tubey" sound. I found the Indeed brand to generally (almost everyone) be considered better built, made and used better components than the Bravos (from people that had both). The Indeeds tended to be more evenly biased between the 2 channels from the factory than the Bravos (people found some large bias differences in the Bravo units). I got the Indeed version that allows me to use both 12V and 6V tubes. I have the stock tube in it so far and thus far to really like it for easy listening, jazz and similar music. I prefer not to use it for rock, metal, alternative, punk type music that I also listen to though.
            Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
            Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
            Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
            Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
            Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
              I bet this can be easily modded to sound even better. Higher quality tube for one, better caps and more precise resistors.
              The open frame construction certainly helps the POOGE-ing. After a bit of thought though, the Starving Student amp might meet my needs better.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

I don't believe the Bravo amp has pre-outs to feed an amp. I think it requires modification to get that. Bravo does make an enclosed tube headphone amp that has pre-outs to act as a pre-amp. I researched the Bravos and other brands when I was looking into low cost methods of introducing myself to the "tubey" sound. I found the Indeed brand to generally (almost everyone) be considered better built, made and used better components than the Bravos (from people that had both). The Indeeds tended to be more evenly biased between the 2 channels from the factory than the Bravos (people found some large bias differences in the Bravo units). I got the Indeed version that allows me to use both 12V and 6V tubes. I have the stock tube in it so far and thus far to really like it for easy listening, jazz and similar music. I prefer not to use it for rock, metal, alternative, punk type music that I also listen to though.
                +1

These amps have been out on ebay 4-5 years now. Interesting PE is picking up on these and the sure/topping amps, and now even major audio companies (sony, etc) are coming out with tube preamps. That means a lot of these chinese ebay amps have been sold and now everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Too bad they have the Bravo and not the Indeed. Better late than never.

Comment

Go to Bottlehead Labs and look at their "budget" phono pre-amp. It's powered by 4-9volt batteries and two D-cells that will last and last and last....and there's no quieter power supply than batteries. 68 dB S/N ratio for a headphone amp stinks. Look at Bottlehead Labs' headphone amp. With good toobs and your good bias adjustments, it's S/N ratio beats any CD ever made. You can also lust over their power amps. No 500 WPC, but some goooood sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                    Go to Bottlehead Labs and look at their "budget" phono pre-amp. It's powered by 4-9volt batteries and two D-cells that will last and last and last....and there's no quieter power supply than batteries. 68 dB S/N ratio for a headphone amp stinks. Look at Bottlehead Labs' headphone amp. With good toobs and your good bias adjustments, it's S/N ratio beats any CD ever made. You can also lust over their power amps. No 500 WPC, but some goooood sound.
                    Their headphone amp looks interesting. I have lusted after Bottlehead tube amps for years but with their prices it aint going to happen anytime soon.

I have heard alot of good things about this kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROJECT-SUNR...item3cc3344f57
                    Also sold assembled for $44 more.

I was considering the above but ordered the tube headphone amp from PE and it is supposed to arrive today. Found this site where they mod the crap out of this unit. http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/inde...ay&thread=5297

Comment

Working...
                    X