Finishing mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing mahogany

I'm building a small amp case and have a piece of mahogany I can use. Is there any neat ways to finish it? Unfinished it doesn't really have an interesting grain or pattern.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Re: Finishing mahogany

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I'm building a small amp case and have a piece of mahogany I can use. Is there any neat ways to finish it? Unfinished it doesn't really have an interesting grain or pattern.
    Mahogany is about the color, not the grain. Tung oil or oil based urethane is all it needs.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Not much without resorting to faux finishes or graining, things like that.

You can however make the most of what's there.
      Many mahoganies can have great depth and some interesting textures and patterns that can be emphasized through various finishes, most of which are simple and easy.
      The most complex would involve filling the grain with a contrasting or complementary filler color.

Otherwise..
      Water based dye (choose a color that is similar to the lighter areas of color present in the wood).
      Follow with an oil based medium, such as a straight linseed oil or oil based varnish. This will enhance the depth the most.
      One light coat is all it takes, more is a waste of time and money and will complicate further finishing.

Shellac over the dye is next best option. You can choose a dark shellac to enhance reds, or a blonde to preserve the color present.

Now you can apply your grain/pore filler if you desire. Apply seal coat of dewaxed, apply fiiler and another seal coat of dewaxed over the filler.

Top coat with whatever varnish or lacquer you like.

You can skip the dye but I find it usually adds a bit of extra depth and glow that is noticeable on most mahogany. Sometimes tho you get a stinker of a board and nothing will do much to enhance it.
      ~99%
      Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
      Make me a poster of an old rodeo
      Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
      To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Use Minwax natural stain and seal it with wipe on poly clear gloss. It will look like Tigers Eye, changing in the light.

Comment

Tru-Oil is another possibility.

Comment

Mahogany can be very contrasty and vibrant. It really depends on the board. Aside from Bob said, I will add Bichromate of Potash as a stain. If you are trying to get to a darker saturated color towards older Cuban Mahogany, that would be the way to go.
            Of cause, experimenting is the key.
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=swope

I started with tung oil followed by two coats of garnet shellac and then poly. The shellac brought out the red in the mahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbarkto View Post

The most complex would involve filling the grain with a contrasting or complementary filler color.

<snip>

Now you can apply your grain/pore filler if you desire. Apply seal coat of dewaxed, apply fiiler and another seal coat of dewaxed over the filler.
                +1 dark red filler. With no stain or dye is a great way to get familar with fillers.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                X