New Markaudio Alpair 10.2 Full Range Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Markaudio Alpair 10.2 Full Range Speakers

I ordered these Saturday and got home from work today just as the FedEx guy was dropping these off at my house. I have a pair of MA CHR-70's that I really like, so I figured I'd give these a try, especially since they're on sale for $30 off each speaker. I think I'm either going to put them in a pencil or order a set of plans from Bob Brines. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing them. First things first though; I guess it's very important to break these in per the manufacturer's instructions.
    Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	MA A10-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	1183028 Click image for larger version

Name:	MA A10-2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	1183029
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Re: New Markaudio Alpair 10.2 Full Range Speakers

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
    I ordered these Saturday and got home from work today just as the FedEx guy was dropping these off at my house. I have a pair of MA CHR-70's that I really like, so I figured I'd give these a try, especially since they're on sale for $30 off each speaker. I think I'm either going to put them in a pencil or order a set of plans from Bob Brines. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing them. First things first though; I guess it's very important to break these in per the manufacturer's instructions.
    Mike

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31732[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31733[/ATTACH]
    I built a set of CHR-70 Gen 3 also for my desktop at work. I liked them so much I gave them to my good friend for Christmas a couple weeks ago. He was so happy and His wife, even can't believe how they sound. She said she can't listen to music the same way, lol. I did this to make someone happy and I had a pair of scrappy's and lil sub I made for my daughter to replace them. Long story short, I loved the scrappy's in a small room, but not on a desk, and I ordered another set. I made them larger this time and tuned to around 52 hz. I have a small office and they won't be played more than a few watts I'm sure, but to make a short story longer I love how clear they are, and how they look, so did everyone else. So, I've read your other posts on diyF and all, but can you hurry up and build them and let us know how they sound before the sale ends? ;) I've had my finger on the buy botton everyday, but it's Christmas time, and I've bought myself enough lol, but I'm ready! Thanks Mike for posting, I'm hoping by the time that I talk myself into buying a pair, they won't be sold.
    Tim

Comment

I guess it's very important to break these in
      I would have never guessed that. :p

Looks like a fine pair of speakers. I shied away from markaudio after reading a post by Mark about how well the aluminum drivers handle overload conditions. Basically, they don't, so make sure they don't see a very large signal, apparently the very thin aluminum diaphragm will easily deform under stress. It broke the deal for me, since I think any speaker should be able to handle overload for at least a short period of time.
      "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
      exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Enjoy mike. I have a pair of alpair10s and really like them. I believe that they can benefit from a bit of filtering but they are a very wide band driver. Mine are in about .6 cubes ported to about 40hz. Soon they will become the mids in my Intrepid 3way build.
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I have used the Alpair 10.2 in a MLTL design and an active DSP crossover open baffle design with a Eminence 3015LF woofer. The latter design won the open unlimited class at the Dayton MWAF in 2011. Very nice driver.
          Last edited by Jim Griffin; 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
            Enjoy mike. I have a pair of alpair10s and really like them. I believe that they can benefit from a bit of filtering but they are a very wide band driver. Mine are in about .6 cubes ported to about 40hz. Soon they will become the mids in my Intrepid 3way build.
            Hey Chuck,
            What filtering do they need? If I read it correctly, according to the MA website, they were designed with no filtering in mind.

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
            I have used the Alpair 10.2 in a MLTL design and an active DSP crossover open baffle design with a Eminence 3015LF woofer. The latter design won the open unlimited class at the Dayton MWAF in 2011. Very nice driver.
            Hi Jim,
            Do you have any filtering on them in the MLTL? I didn't realize your design is similar in size to Bob Brines' design. I see a 2.375" port on the back of yours, but no length. Am I missing it or is it simply the length of the thickness of the rear baffle? Can the port go on the front? And, how far do you recommend they sit from the wall? I like the looks and simplicity of your design. Any other tips you'd be willing to share?
            Thanks,
            Mike
            Bismarck, North Dakota
            My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers

Comment

To me the top end is s bit shouty. One of the downfalls of a wide range driver. It maybe a ringing due to the aluminum cone. I haven't measured it yet so this is just my opinion. I dislike the full-range moniker given to any driver. To me wide range is a much better description.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Mike,

No filtering, i.e., baffle step comp other than via placement in room. To answer your port questions, the design uses a 2 1/16" diameter and 5 inches long (P-E #260-322) tube. You can place the port on the front if you wish. My placement testing indicate that close to a wall (2' or so) works well. Out in the room may indicate the need for BSC according to your situation and need for bass. This design originated with the Alpair 10 and I've verified functionality with the 10.2 both via simulations and actual performance in enclosure.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
                  Mike,

No filtering, i.e., baffle step comp other than via placement in room. To answer your port questions, the design uses a 2 1/16" diameter and 5 inches long (P-E #260-322) tube. You can place the port on the front if you wish. My placement testing indicate that close to a wall (2' or so) works well. Out in the room may indicate the need for BSC according to your situation and need for bass. This design originated with the Alpair 10 and I've verified functionality with the 10.2 both via simulations and actual performance in enclosure.

Jim
                  Thanks Jim,
                  One more question about the port... These will be within 2 feet of a wall and one will be close to a corner. Do these considerations lend themselves more to a front port or a rear port?
                  Thanks again for your design and advice,
                  Mike
                  Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

My amp really liked the Zobel I put on my full rangers and my ears really liked the contour circuit I added to the cabs . Those few caps, coils and resistor tamed the rising top end.
                    Don't know if the Alpairs would benefit from these options though

Comment

Mike,

My MLTLs were 18 inches (between the rear of enclosure and the wall) away from the front wall. I haven't tried a corner placement as my listening room does not lend itself to such. I like rear porting in that you don't have the port in view nor if you get a funny radiation does it localize the speaker as it might in a front ported box.

In theory while front or rear porting should not matter as the port radiation is pretty much omnidirectional. The only exception would be in the limit when you push a rear ported box back so that the front wall blocks free radiation from the rear would I worry.

Jim

Comment

It's been close to 48 hours since I put these in boxes and hooked them up to a receiver playing a local radio station. I turned them up a little more. More to follow Sunday evening...
                        Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

I have these in a pair of Jim Griffin's MLTLs and playing at this very moment. I want to give them some more break-in time, so I can't really give an opinion on them yet. The boxes are unfinished, but that will change if I like them. I found out the hard way that when the cut out holes are cut in the baffle, they must be pretty close to an EXACT fit. The way the frame is designed and I notched out for the spokes, I didn't leave enough room for the screws to grab. I cut an insert and installed it. It works well; I'll just have to be a little creative to get them flush mounted. I already know what I'll do. I'm hoping it will actually add some more character to the cabinets.
                          Mike
                          Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

I have these in a pair of Jim Griffin's MLTLs and playing at this very moment. I want to give them some more break-in time, so I can't really give an opinion on them yet. The boxes are unfinished, but that will change if I like them. I found out the hard way that when the cut out holes are cut in the baffle, they must be pretty close to an EXACT fit. The way the frame is designed and I notched out for the spokes, I didn't leave enough room for the screws to grab. I cut an insert and installed it. It works well; I'll just have to be a little creative to get them flush mounted. I already know what I'll do. I'm hoping it will actually add some more character to the cabinets.
                            Mike
                            Just be careful. Those drivers are veeery delicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
                              Just be careful. Those drivers are veeery delicate.
                              That's what I've read. In what way are you referring to being careful with them? Physically touching them, applying too much power? Are you speaking from experience?
                              Thanks,
                              Mike
                              Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X