X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhollander
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2006

Re: $1 aurasound drivers in an array?

Mike a simple two way for your desk top will get you hooked, a dipole array may make you curse the day…
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• r-carpenter
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Aug 2008

with a bit of help and explanation, it'll be much easier. Then I build my first array and started measuring, my jaw dropped. It would have been much easier with the help but I didn't ask anyone at the time.
      Which set up did you get Mike?
      http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• mikejennens
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by r-carpenter
        Which set up did you get Mike?
        I have the the EMM-6 mic, the ART Tube MP mic pre-amp, and some XLR cables. My computer is a typical Dell laptop (either an Inspiron E1505 or an Inspiron N7010). I am trying to use a Creative Labs X-Fi for input and output, but I don't really know that it's going to do the job. I built an ARTA jig and can't seem to get a decent trace. I also have an HRT Music Streamer II DAC that might work for an output. I haven't gotten as far as trying to use the measuring set-up; I was trying to get ARTA to work first. I'm curious as to whether the onboard "soundcard" is sufficient, if the X-Fi will do the job, or if I'm going to need to get an external/PCMCIA soundcard. Any ideas, suggestions????
        Thanks,
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

• r-carpenter
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Aug 2008

I don't know and don't want to make incorrect suggestions on the card. Probably you will need an outboard audio-card.
          I use this one in my desktop http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Audiop...6khz+soundcard
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

• jhollander
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Oct 2006

Unless your dell has separated headphone and mic input you’ll need an external sound card. Do you have a link for the Creative Labs X-Fi? I’m thinking that should work.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• mikejennens
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jhollander
              Unless your dell has separated headphone and mic input you’ll need an external sound card. Do you have a link for the Creative Labs X-Fi? I’m thinking that should work.
              Hi John,
              My laptop does have separate headphone and mic inputs. I can't find any Creative Labs support for the X-Fi, but it's a model number SB0720. Here's a review of it by PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2024336,00.asp
              EDIT: I just found this: http://support.creative.com/Products...ve+Xmod&page=0
              Thanks,
              Mike
              Bismarck, North Dakota
              My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers

Comment

• mikejennens
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Mar 2008

I got LIMP running, but I'm not sure it's running correctly. This is from an old speaker I have. I switched my left/right channels to see if that was the problem; nope. Things look similar when swapped. I changed right/left channels in Measurement Setup; got a pretty flat line. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but something doesn't seem right. My graph is a bit different than the graph in the user's manual. Any ideas???
                Thanks,
                Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	limp1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1146146

I've tried a number of drivers and the impedance peak is always in the same general area as this graph.
                Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

• Ron_E
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by mikejennens
                  I got LIMP running, but I'm not sure it's running correctly.

I've tried a number of drivers and the impedance peak is always in the same general area as this graph.
                  Try measuring a resistor. That will take the unknown out the equation when you're trying to figure out if your setup is working correctly.

I was going to recommend an external sound card but the one I use is no longer available.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Cherry π's

Comment

• mikejennens
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Ron_E
                    Try measuring a resistor. That will take the unknown out the equation when you're trying to figure out if your setup is working correctly.

I was going to recommend an external sound card but the one I use is no longer available.

Ron
                    Thanks Ron. I just got everything put away, so when I get it set up again, I'll check a resistor. Once I can wrap my mind around the concept of LIMP, I'll be able figure out a lot more on my own.
                    Question about a different subject: Do you recommend a Blue Icicle? I have an ART Tube MP mic pre-amp, but the Blue Icicle looks a lot simpler. I need to keep all things as simple as I can. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle.
                    Thanks again,
                    Mike
                    Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

• Ron_E
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2009

I don't have any experience with the Blue Icicle but others have recommended it. If you're using a laptop I'd be looking at something with both the input and output capabilities. Laptops are notorious for having inadequate audio for measurements. I've been using a Roland UA-1G USB audio interface. Unfortunately is no longer available. It's been useful for other things like dubbing vinyl to digital too.

Ron
                      C-Note Iron Driver Build
                      The Cherry π's

Comment

• jhollander
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2006

Mike the blue icicle should work for you. It did not work for me because of the combined laptop jacks. I'm using the M-audio Fast track 2.

Be your own engineer with this portable interface, featuring a convenient plug-and-play USB connection and Pro Tools M-Powered Essential software.

A smarter person than me could figure out how to use a mic and adapter and your mic amp.

IMO If your realy want simple save your money for an omni mic
                        John H

Comment

• MSaturn
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2009

The Global website of Roland Corporation, a leading manufacturer and distributor of electronic musical instruments, including keyboards and synthesizers, guitar products, electronic percussion, digital recording equipment, amplifiers, audio processors, and multimedia products.

I am trolling you.

Comment

• mikejennens
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Mar 2008

Well, I've got the arrays assembled and I'm listening to them right now. I only have a coat of primer on them and the tweeters are attached with clamps, but they're singing. I'm running the Auras wide open for now and I have the tweeter (RS28A-4) "crossed at 5K, 2nd order LR. This is only a starting point. I'll be working on measuring them next. I bought a Blue Icicle, so I'll be trying to get my mind wrapped around that aspect of speaker building soon. From what I've read, I'd like to go 3rd order on the tweeter eventually. I wired the Auras, which are 16 ohm nominal, in three series groups of three in parallel. That keeps me at 16 ohms.
                            When I do get around to measuring them, should I try to place the mic at ear level? And does the baffle size for the tweeter matter? I will flush mount it, but it will get its own baffle, so I'll need to figure the proper size, if it matters.

Mike

Name:	1photo.JPG
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1146584 Rough view of the front of the baffle

Name:	2photo.JPG
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	1146585 Rough view of the back side of the baffle

Name:	3photo.JPG
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	1146586 Closer view of the holes for the drivers. I used a 3" hole saw and a roundover bit in my router

Name:	4photo.JPG
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	1146587 Rear mounted drivers

Name:	5photo.JPG
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	1146588 Closer look at the drivers in their mounted state

I'll attach more pics in the next post...
                            Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

• mikejennens
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Mar 2008

... A few more pics.............

Name:	7photo.JPG
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	1146590 Wiring

Name:	6photo.JPG
Size:	631.8 KB
ID:	1146589 Closer view of the wiring

Name:	8photo.JPG
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	1146591 Assembled

Name:	9photo.JPG
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	1146592 Auditions are happening. The clamp style mounting thing will go away.

So far they sound pretty good. They definitely needed help on the high end, even for my ears which are not great up high. As they break in, they get better. So far, so good.

Mike
                              Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

• DarrenM
                                Midrange Member
                                • Dec 2012

Looking pretty good Sergeant first class

Comment

Working...