Zaph posted some new test data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaph posted some new test data

I went to Zaph's blog to check some old curves; and "discovered" a new posting.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

I'm liking the SB15MFC30-8

Re: Zaph posted some new test data

Originally posted by benchtester View Post

I'm glad he's not posting much anymore. Poor guy has been practically deified for years now. It's just a hobby after all. I'm surprised though that more people aren't trying to fill the measurement void given the Omnimics and free softwares available (aside from ErichH recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
      I'm glad he's not posting much anymore. Poor guy has been practically deified for years now. It's just a hobby after all. I'm surprised though that more people aren't trying to fill the measurement void given the Omnimics and free softwares available (aside from ErichH recently).

ErinH.

There is an ErichH, though. We're just not the same dudes. I get PMs intended for him ALL the time. :D

I, too, miss Zaph's postings but I understand entirely why he doesn't do it much anymore. I go through periods of a couple months at a time where the absolute last thing I want to do is touch a stupid speaker.
      ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
        ErinH.

There is an ErichH, though. We're just not the same dudes. I get PMs intended for him ALL the time. :D

I, too, miss Zaph's postings but I understand entirely why he doesn't do it much anymore. I go through periods of a couple months at a time where the absolute last thing I want to do is touch a stupid speaker.
        Darn it, sorry 'bout that. I had a feeling. I do get yous guys mixed up!

Comment

Sweet. I like his test/reviews/designs with write ups.

Comment

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Satori...36-DA00-HD.gif

Whoah Satori goodness... What does that driver cost, compared to say so many others tested on Zaphs site?
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Satori...36-DA00-HD.gif

Whoah Satori goodness... What does that driver cost, compared to say so many others tested on Zaphs site?
              I will have a linear phase kit posted using that driver soon - the "Kairos". I really like it alot. Truly splendid reproduction.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by benchtester View Post

I agree, for the money that poly coned SB 15 looks really nice. The Satori measures well too but at $290, it's not in the same ballpark value wise. Seems like the Scan Speak Illuminator midwoofers and their strikingly similar SB cousins all have the small energy storage issue at 1.2khz. With the Satori, because of the slightly floppier suspension, it looks like the effect is a little more pronounced in the decay plots but as Krutke says, it may not be very detectable.

Comment

Originally posted by peterlrabbit View Post
                  I agree, for the money that poly coned SB 15 looks really nice. The Satori measures well too but at $290, it's not in the same ballpark value wise. Seems like the Scan Speak Illuminator midwoofers and their strikingly similar SB cousins all have the small energy storage issue at 1.2khz. With the Satori, because of the slightly floppier suspension, it looks like the effect is a little more pronounced in the decay plots but as Krutke says, it may not be very detectable.
                  It's not really so much "energy storage", it's an edge resonance with the surround. It is really quite benign.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    It's not really so much "energy storage", it's an edge resonance with the surround. It is really quite benign.
                    Energy sensed at time zero ( first detected pulse) that is not detected at time zero but appears at time zero plus a time interval DEFINES energy storage.

Energy storage also shows up on the impedance plot as an increase in resistance - much like the driver's fundamental resonance is a measure of energy storage. But you already knew that, right? The resonance in question is benign if it's not audible under different power conditions. That would depend largely on the power input and who's listening.

Comment

Originally posted by peterlrabbit View Post
                      Energy sensed at time zero ( first detected pulse) that is not detected at time zero but appears at time zero plus a time interval DEFINES energy storage.

Energy storage also shows up on the impedance plot as an increase in resistance - much like the driver's fundamental resonance is a measure of energy storage. But you already knew that, right? The resonance in question is benign if it's not audible under different power conditions. That would depend largely on the power input and who's listening.
                      I was just describing what it was caused by.

It produces a narrow dip in response at 1.2khz - as you know, narrow band dips are extremely hard to hear, as opposed to peaks. However, my crossover point is at 1.9khz and the tweeter fills in fairly well in this region, so it hardly even shows up in my system measurements. Otherwise, this driver does everything else extremely well and it's wide bandwidth and low distortion allows me to arrive at a system with less time and phase error than almost anything out there apart from DSP control. Sure, it's expensive and not the best choice if you can acheive everything you need with a less costly driver, but in my case it's one of the few drivers I have found that can do what I needed a driver to do.

Comment

I was just describing what it was caused by.

It produces a narrow dip in response at 1.2khz - as you know, narrow band dips are extremely hard to hear, as opposed to peaks. However, my crossover point is at 1.9khz and the tweeter fills in fairly well in this region, so it hardly even shows up in my system measurements. Otherwise, this driver does everything else extremely well and it's wide bandwidth and low distortion allows me to arrive at a system with less time and phase error than almost anything out there apart from DSP control. Sure, it's expensive and not the best choice if you can acheive everything you need with a less costly driver, but in my case it's one of the few drivers I have found that can do what I needed a driver to do.
                        Yes, Jeff. We are talking about the same thing just using different words. And it most likely will be very inaudible for most people regardless of the power applied. I tend to lump everything that involves energy storage into the energy storage bin whether it's cone break up, a bell mode involving the suspension surround, or a radial mode. I agree with you, the SB Satori in your project is a fantastic driver based on measurements alone ( I haven't heard it yet) and is a welcome addition to the choices available particularly if it incites more competitive pricing from Scan Speak and SEAS in the upper market segment. I look forward to your published build details and thanks for all that you do for the DIY community.

;)

Comment

I will have a linear phase kit posted using that driver soon - the "Kairos". I really like it alot. Truly splendid reproduction.
                          Looking forward to it! I hope somebody that shows up to the DIY events I can go to can afford to build a set!
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Has anyone used the SS Iluminator, Vifa NE, and SB Satori? They all appear to stem from the same design team (possibly teh SB guys before they left Scanspeak and Vifa was split off). What are the real world differences, even if just subjective from those who have use them (or even just the SS and SB)?
                            ~Brandon 8O
                            Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                            Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                            DriverVault
                            Soma Sonus

Comment

Of those three, I've only used the Vifa 8" NE225W-04. Amazing midrange reproduction and a ruler flat impedance profile. And while some have slammed the bass performance due to the voice coil offset and loss of linear Xmax, bass performance under music conditions as a woofer in a two-way crossed around 1000Hz is very, very good. I just wish the 10 and 12 inch versions had a bit more sensitivity.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Working...
                              X