Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

    They have some audio grade caps in addition to their extensive guitar cap line. The HT Flat Audio grade caps are constructed with a beeswax/paper dielectric. Very vintage looking stuff.

    http://www.soniccraft.com/products/c...ter_htflat.htm
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

  • #2
    Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

    Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    They have some audio grade caps in addition to their extensive guitar cap line. The HT Flat Audio grade caps are constructed with a beeswax/paper dielectric. Very vintage looking stuff.

    http://www.soniccraft.com/products/c...ter_htflat.htm
    $199 for a 15uf capacitor:eek:.......:D

    This is a very short subject... don't spend you money on snake oil. Unless it makes you feel better.
    Dave

    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
    .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

      Originally posted by dthomas View Post
      $199 for a 15uf capacitor:eek:.......:D
      Hell, that ain't noth'n. Have you priced Duelund VSF copper foil caps? :eek: :eek:
      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

        Boutique crossover components hold very little allure unless of proven benefit. High quality Erse, Jensen and Dayton polypropylene capacitors sound about the same as the Mundorf and Auracap capacitors that I've used in a number of builds done for other audiophiles. The differences between drivers are hundreds or thousands of times greater and probably swamp whatever differences there are between capactitors, resistors and hook-up wire. Coils can have a much greater influence than capacitors because of the differences in resistance and, for ferrite core coils, saturation effects. It would be great if you would test these new HT Flat Audio capacitors and post your impressions, but I wouldn't be surprised if your conclusions matched mine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

          Originally posted by rkeman View Post
          It would be great if you would test these new HT Flat Audio capacitors and post your impressions, but I wouldn't be surprised if your conclusions matched mine.
          I'll probably be buying them but for a crossover upgrade job (no speaker to make subjective assessments with). They'll end up in an Alon speaker owned by someone else. When I get them I will be doing imp./phase elect. testing on them. It will be interesting to see the ESR and D.F. numbers vs freq.
          Last edited by carlspeak; 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM.
          Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

            Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
            They have some audio grade caps in addition to their extensive guitar cap line. The HT Flat Audio grade caps are constructed with a beeswax/paper dielectric. Very vintage looking stuff.

            http://www.soniccraft.com/products/c...ter_htflat.htm
            How does beeswax handle heat? I think I'll stick with poly for a dielectric.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

              Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              How does beeswax handle heat? I think I'll stick with poly for a dielectric.
              I don't know about heat but I am concerned as to who is making sure the Bees get their fair share of the profits they are after all supplying the wax.
              Dave

              If you can read this, thank a teacher.
              If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
              .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                Nothing beats the Dueland pure silver foil cast caps. :eek:

                We actually had a customer specifically request these in pure silver. Unreal.

                I suppose when you're out to brag about your system . . .

                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

                95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                  Nothing beats the Dueland pure silver foil cast caps. :eek:

                  We actually had a customer specifically request these in pure silver. Unreal.

                  I suppose when you're out to brag about your system . . .

                  ever taken one apart? :rolleyes:
                  Must be a very dedicated customer.
                  http://www.diy-ny.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                    Originally posted by rkeman View Post
                    Boutique crossover components hold very little allure unless of proven benefit. High quality Erse, Jensen and Dayton polypropylene capacitors sound about the same as the Mundorf and Auracap capacitors that I've used in a number of builds done for other audiophiles. The differences between drivers are hundreds or thousands of times greater and probably swamp whatever differences there are between capactitors, resistors and hook-up wire. Coils can have a much greater influence than capacitors because of the differences in resistance and, for ferrite core coils, saturation effects. It would be great if you would test these new HT Flat Audio capacitors and post your impressions, but I wouldn't be surprised if your conclusions matched mine.
                    That's because Mundorf and Auracap aren't anything special either...including the Silver in Oil line too...

                    Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    How does beeswax handle heat? I think I'll stick with poly for a dielectric.
                    They're fine as long as you don't use them in a Class A or tube amp.

                    Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                    ever taken one apart? :rolleyes:
                    Must be a very dedicated customer.
                    I have, it's a whole lot of silver or copper foil encapsulated in resin at high pressure.
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

                    http://www.diy-ny.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                      I heard the buzz ;) sorry couldn't pass it up.:D

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                        I've always thought Jupiter to be something interesting to try, but I cannot considering the prices.

                        However, Bryan and I may have something down the road to vouch for...
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                        *InDIYana event website*

                        Photobucket pages:
                        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                        My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                          Did somebody say my name? :rolleyes:
                          Bryan K.

                          Midwest Audio Club

                          Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                            Evidently, Tony Gee has evaluated the Jupiter cap and rated it a very high 11.5.
                            http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html
                            His comments include saying the Jupiter almost as good as the Duelund VSF's and on equal par with the highest level of Mundorfs.
                            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Anybody tried Jupiter caps?

                              I love his colorful discriptions of how each capacitor sounds :p
                              Craig

                              I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X