Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$500 for my first DIY speaker project..........help and questions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 for my first DIY speaker project..........help and questions!!

I was all set to pull the trigget on buying and building the Idunn...........after a few comments from forum members, I'm not so sure the Idunn is for me. I've been hearing that the speakers are fatiguing, lack low end, and have some issues with vocals. I will add a sub later for sure, so the lack of bass doesn't bother me. I already have MDF and tools at the house (I'm a woodworker). I need to keep the budget for the 2 speakers to $500.

The W.A.F. is huge for this build, so I'm limited to a small area for the speakers to go. My available space for each speaker is to the right and left of the TV. I end up with 10" wide x 45" high x 19" deep. Here is a picture of the TV area:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker placement.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	1183271

The speakers will be on top of the TV stand that is already 19" high and the speakers will be close to the wall.

Questions:
    • What are some suggestions for my $500 budget?
    • Can the Idunn kit be tweaked (box and/or crossover) to improve the vocals?

I'm ready to order my parts next week. Since this is my first build, I was trying to stick to a kit the first time out. Thanks in advance!

Re: $500 for my first DIY speaker project..........help and questions!!

I'll start off the suggestions with "buy a kit from Madisound". The SR71 kit plus the cost of MDF and finishing supplies put you around $500.

Comment

How about the MMTMM version of this built without the dead space at the bottom of the tower: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-2.5-way-pair/

Do you intend to add center and surround speakers latter too? If so, the ZA line of kits will make it easy for you.

Comment

Things to think about: Using up all your space would give you a 3.75 cf box - which is really quite large. How about some "Dayton 8's"?

You'd like to have your tweeters near seated ear level (assuming you sit down) - maybe 38" high max? So . . . that'd be a design with the tweeters up 19" from the cab bottom (given the 19" "stands"). My "ntns" have the tweeter at about 17"

Stereo effects won't be very pronounced with that small of a spacing between your speakers - guess there's not much you can do about that.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by tf1216 View Post
          I'll start off the suggestions with "buy a kit from Madisound". The SR71 kit plus the cost of MDF and finishing supplies put you around $500.
          Thanks, I was already considering this one............reviews sound like it does a better job than the Idunns.

Comment

Not that I want to take business away from PE, but Meniscus has several speaker kits that might be what you're looking for. I've heard the Speedsters, Stances, and Continuums; they are all excellent speakers. I'm putting together an order for parts for the Speedsters that I need within a week or two. The other two I mentioned are outstanding speakers as well. The Swopes are said to be great speakers too, but I haven't heard them, so I can't speak from experience. However, the designer puts out some great speakers, so there's no reason to think these would be anything but excellent. An advantage to the first three I mentioned, at least in your case, is thay are small; thus, WAF is probably higher. Plus, they come in well below your budget.
            Mike

http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html?page=1&sort=3a
            "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
            Bismarck, North Dakota
            My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
            My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Vifa DQ25 = PTUI!

Both the 'ZX Spectrum' and 'Swope Tower' kits by Paul Carmody at Meniscus are within your budget.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by MagicO309d View Post
                How about the MMTMM version of this built without the dead space at the bottom of the tower: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-2.5-way-pair/

Do you intend to add center and surround speakers latter too? If so, the ZA line of kits will make it easy for you.
                I am likely to add a center channel.......possibly surrounds later. I like the MMTMM version of the ZA5, but I was concerned about my placement. Looks like rear firing ports and a 12" deep cabinet. Since I only have 19" of depth, would this be an issue?
                Last edited by Jetfire; 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  Things to think about: Using up all your space would give you a 3.75 cf box - which is really quite large. How about some "Dayton 8's"?

You'd like to have your tweeters near seated ear level (assuming you sit down) - maybe 38" high max? So . . . that'd be a design with the tweeters up 19" from the cab bottom (given the 19" "stands"). My "ntns" have the tweeter at about 17"

Stereo effects won't be very pronounced with that small of a spacing between your speakers - guess there's not much you can do about that.

Chris
                  I would be fine with using up all/most of my available space. Adding 8's would be cool too......do you have any designs in mind that inlcude 8's?

Most of the time we will be seated at the couch, I'll aim for the 38" ballpark for the tweets.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Vifa DQ25 = PTUI!

Both the 'ZX Spectrum' and 'Swope Tower' kits by Paul Carmody at Meniscus are within your budget.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    I take it you don't like the Vifa DQ25? I'm looking at the Swope Tower too...........tough to decide.

Comment

No Ben dont like the dq25, not one bit!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Google "Dayton 8's". They were designed by a Dave Tenney (< spelling?).

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                          No Ben dont like the dq25, not one bit!
                          Is it bright or ..........

Comment

It has this 'glare' in sound quality that I cannot stand. It's better xover'd above 3kHz, but it still sounds glary to me.

It's not a brightness. It's not a sssibilance. It's not something that sounds like an emphasis or breakup either. It just has this
                            artificial, cheap, and annoying 'glare' quality that makes it sound like utter garbage to me. I know I'm not the only one, but others
                            also really like it. YMMV. Rory called it a possible 'broadband distortion' that has not been measured well, and he hears it too.

I recommend something other than the DQ25, but it is ultimately your call.
                            Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel about 'em, Wolfy!;) Now I've been burned by a tweeter, so I unnerstan', I unnerstan'.

Comment

Working...
                              X