OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

Yea, that was another thing. The vinyl is so thin every imperfection shows through. I also thought I had the edges of the wood pretty smooth, but it still shows a little.
    My RSS390HO 15" sub build

Comment

Just for those who would like a size comparison I took some pictures of my Classix II's side by side with the OS MTM cabinet. I just assembled the cabinet and it is being held together by tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_001 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1146524Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_002 (2).jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1146525Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_004 (1).jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1146526

The OS MTM is a tall, skinny dude compared to his fatter cousin. It will be interesting to see and hear how they turn out. My son and myself will work on the cabinets tomorrow and hopefully have them glued up. I still need to order the parts, but I should get them in the next week or so.

Stay tuned...

Kevin
      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
      OS MTM's
      Digger 8 sub
      Overnight Sensations Center Channel
      Sprite Build
      Wolf's PC Speakers
      Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Anything that seals the wood and creates a smooth surface will help the vinyl stick. The shellac based products are great because they dry fast and are thin. Water based Poly would work. The cure time is a bit longer and the build is thicker so runs can be an issue
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Well now speaker number two is built (except baffle). And I am not liking the laminate. I may pull the laminate off, sand, use some of my polyurethane, and use some body filler and try again on one of them. The larger flat pieces aren't so bad. Its the small strips I have on the edges like edge banding that are the problem. To be honest, I think it was easier making the cabinet from a good furniture grade plywood and finishing it then it has been using the laminate. The laminate goes on easy, but if it peels up on the edges then it isn't worth it.

So I will try your guys suggestions above on one of them and see how it goes.

Wish me luck...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

How much could one possibly save by using laminate. sheesh. I think furniture grade plywood, what my baffles are made of, showing no edges, is the way to go. Otherwise Id duraflex the MDF. Just my $.02

Comment

Actually my Son and myself are new to cabinet making. I used to be a framer and roofer 25 years ago, but cabinets are a new thing for us. So when PE had a sale on the vinyl black ash stuff I thought we would give it a try. I am thinking of giving the Band-IT veneer a try next to try our hand at it, as I am building the OS CC next.
              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Well its official. I just bought some Bubinga veneer off of ebay for 22.00 and free shipping. I guess we will strip the vinyl off and make the speakers ready for the veneer.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom in regards to working with raw veneer? I have never used it before.

Thanks,

Kevin
                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                OS MTM's
                Digger 8 sub
                Sprite Build
                Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Today I got the crossovers finished and I mounted the drivers in the baffle. I used clamps to hold the baffle on since the cabinets are not finished and played some music through one of them. I did a side by side comparison between the OS MTM and my Classix II's.

Listening Impressions:
                  The OS MTM had a lot of detail and was just as loud as the Classix II. I did notice that the Classix II went lower then the OS MTM could. I beleive setting the MTM up as a "small" speaker would be advantageous and let everything south of 80Hz come through the sub. I really felt where the OS MTM shined was in detail. You could hear things that my Classix II would kind of "wash out". I still prefer the Classix II for rock/metal type recordings. But if you want to hear more details the OS MTM is your guy. I do say they are worth every penny that I spent for them and more. I would not be afraid to use these as mains and/or surrounds in a HT system at all. You just want to make sure you have a good sub for the low end.

Another great aspect was that they do blend well with the Classic II's. My idea was that I would use the OS MTM as surround speakers, and I think they will do nicely!

Now all I have to do is veneer the cabinets, time to get back to work... ;)
                  Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                  OS MTM's
                  Digger 8 sub
                  Sprite Build
                  Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Don't use contact cement. Coldpress w/ titebond will work, but a specific coldpress glues will be better. www.veneersupplies.com can help.

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
                    Well its official. I just bought some Bubinga veneer off of ebay for 22.00 and free shipping. I guess we will strip the vinyl off and make the speakers ready for the veneer.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom in regards to working with raw veneer? I have never used it before.

Thanks,

Kevin
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

First I would like to thank Leroy R for all his help. Lee lives in my area ad offered to help me out a while back. Lee was able to show me how he veneers and how to finish the speakers. The results that we got I think are amazing. Below you can see some pics of the cabinets that were veneered a week ago. the last photo is a side with the first coat of wipe on poly.

Name:	rsz_001 (3).jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1147063Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_003.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1147064Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1002.jpg
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	1147065

Name:	rsz_005.jpg
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	1147066

I do not think I could be happier with the results. Thank you Leroy R for all your help!
                      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                      OS MTM's
                      Digger 8 sub
                      Sprite Build
                      Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

I'd say some happiness is in order. Nicely done!
                        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

I just applied the 6th coat of wipe on poly. The cabinets just keep looking better and better with each coat. My wife came home last night and was very impressed. She wants me to build some more now for our bedroom because of how beautiful these are.

I will post some more pics as soon as they are complete.

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                            I'd say some happiness is in order. Nicely done!
                            Thanks bro. Thanks to Leroy R these are turning out very nice.

Kevin
                            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                            OS MTM's
                            Digger 8 sub
                            Sprite Build
                            Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Glad I could help. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the final product.

Comment

Well we are down to the home stretch now. We have certainly learned some leasons doing this pair of speakers. I will outline some of them below and then include some pics of them.

1. I hate MDF! The cabinets were ok but the baffle sucked. I was going to paint the baffle, back of speaker, and the bottom black. I sanded smooth with 220 and put a coat of primer. Sanded again, repeat. I got to 7 coats and they looked hideous. The round overs kept looking and feeling fuzzy. I would sand smooth, prime, and when dry it looked and felt fuzzy. I asked those I knew who were in the know and got some advise but it didnt work. So I sanded them down smooth, sprayed some 3M glue on and laminated the baffles with that Dayton black ash vinyl. Now they look nice and the laminate is sticking.
                                2.I love plywood. The first pair of DIY speakers I ever built were Paul Carmody's Classix II's. They were easy by comparison. I sanded, stained, repeat. They look awesome. No sweat, no problems.

Name:	rsz_1001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1147420Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1002.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1147421Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1003.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1147422

I think they came out looking fantastic. Leroy R had a lot to do with that. He helped me out in the veneering and the Bubinga I got from ebay looks beautiful. When my wife saw them she was flabbergasted. Many hard long hours went into making these puppies. Hopefully they will last us a long time.
                                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                                OS MTM's
                                Digger 8 sub
                                Sprite Build
                                Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Working...
                                X