OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OS MTM Build (And So It Begins...)

Looking good. You might have tried automotive urethane primer. When I strip a plastic bumper, it looks fuzzy when I prime it, but it smooths out when the primer cures and is sanded with 400.
    Anywhoo, how hard was it to do the laminate. Im wanting to give that a try if its not any harder than tinting a window

Comment

Darren, change your mind much?

J

Comment

When we were applying your veneer and I saw your baffles I was a bit concerned for two reasons. The first being that they were cut too small. We discussed that when you were here. How did you wind up fixing that? The second was the mdf seemed defective. It was not as heavy as mdf of that thickness typically is and even the face surface was fuzzy. I hoped a couple coats of primer would seal the surface and allow it to be sanded smooth, but I guess that didn't work out. Normal mdf is not that difficult to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenM View Post
          Looking good. You might have tried automotive urethane primer. When I strip a plastic bumper, it looks fuzzy when I prime it, but it smooths out when the primer cures and is sanded with 400.
          Anywhoo, how hard was it to do the laminate. Im wanting to give that a try if its not any harder than tinting a window
          I am not a cabinet maker. That said the process of veneering isn't difficult to say in the forum, but it does take a long time.

The worst part of it is the prep work. Sanding each face of the cabinet just perfect to make sure you get a perfect flat defect free surface to glue your venneer on. That took 4-5 hours easy. Since I had raw veneer we used the following method to apply the veneer.

When we veneered the cabinets we cut each piece of veneer a 1/4 inch larger then the surface of the cabinet. We then painted up the cabinet and the veneer with the contact cement. We waited for it to become just slightly tacky dry, about 20-30 mins and then applied a second coat. Afterwords we used pencils and placed them on the cabinet and placed the veneer on top. We got it centered up and then started pulling the pencils out one by one starting in the middle. Once the veneer touched that was all she wrote. We got it down and smoothed it out and used a J-Roller to further smooth out. We then trimmed each side of the veneer with a razor knife taking small shallow cuts to avoid it ripping out the veneer. When all the sides were done I let the cement cure for a week before using the wipe on poly. I took me an entire Saturday to apply the poly. Wipe on a coat, wait an hour, sand and apply again. Currently it has 7 coats of poly.

So it is not a complicated process. It just takes a long time to complete that process.

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers
          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

I just got done having a listening session with the OS MTM's and I would have to say that they are impressive. The person who's house I went to had many other speakers that he had built and we were able to put the OS MTM's and the OS CC through their paces. I think the clincher for me was when the roommate came home and thought that we were listening to music through his 6'2" line arrays. He was clueless that he was listening to the OS MTM's and was completely blown away when we showed him.

I am astonished at the big sound and detail that come out of such small unassuming MTM's. Thank you Mr. Carmody for designing such wonderful speakers!

Kevin
            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
            OS MTM's
            Digger 8 sub
            Sprite Build
            Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Wow, that's quite a compliment.

Great-looking veneer, by the way. My only words of advice on the "flaky" baffle would be to use a skim coat of bondo on just about the whole thing (it's time-consuming, but it works REALLY well), and/or covering the whole thing with "glue size" (50/50 wood glue and water) a few times, and sanding that flat. Again, laborious.

Otherwise, congrats. And enjoy!
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                Wow, that's quite a compliment.

Great-looking veneer, by the way. My only words of advice on the "flaky" baffle would be to use a skim coat of bondo on just about the whole thing (it's time-consuming, but it works REALLY well), and/or covering the whole thing with "glue size" (50/50 wood glue and water) a few times, and sanding that flat. Again, laborious.

Otherwise, congrats. And enjoy!
                Paul,

I from the start had wished I could had got the veneer to have made the "bend" over the round overs. When we tried it started to break. Since I now have the MTM's with the vinyl face I will make the OS CC and TM's the same way. I just ordered more Bubinga veneer to finish them off.

Once again Paul thank you for such a wonderful designed speaker! I know we will enjoy them for years to come.

Kevin
                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                OS MTM's
                Digger 8 sub
                Sprite Build
                Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Working...
                X