Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Wicked this Way Comes (RSS460HO-4 18" Subwoofer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something Wicked this Way Comes (RSS460HO-18)

Subscribed - nice build!

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
      I've been doing Bondo, Glaze, sanding, rinse, repeat. I did about 6 rounds of bondo or/ glaze.

Now that it's started to warm up I hit it up with 6 coats of primer. I have determined that the Rustoleum "Painters Touch" Gray Primer is my favorite by far. I used 3 cans of primer. Sanded it between every 2 coats.

And now paint. I am using the darkest black color of Rustoleum Hammertone. I really like how this stuff goes on and what it looks like. Exceeding my expectations. I already drained 2 cans dry and I'm about to buy 2 more.

Amazing it looks this good considering what it looked like about a month ago with all those screws.

ETA: You may notice I put a thick layer of bondo on the inside of the cutout. This was to help plug the holes in that crappy HD plywood, which is full of voids.
      Great looking cabinet. I am a fan of the Rustoleum Hammered finishes and have used that same color, but
      I dont know why they call it black. Maybe charcoal or dark grey but it does not come close to being black.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
        Great looking cabinet. I am a fan of the Rustoleum Hammered finishes and have used that same color, but
        I dont know why they call it black. Maybe charcoal or dark grey but it does not come close to being black.
        Yeah, it's not really black, but it IS very dark. In a dimly lit room it looks black. I do like this paint, although to get the "hammered" effect you have to lay it on thick! It's tough paint and it's also got a nice metallic sheen to it.

I was going to drag it outside a couple days ago to take some pics in the sunlight, but was having a hard time lifting it by myself. Not only is it ~109 lbs but it's somewhat large. I'll have my friend help me out one of these days. And actually the weight isn't the problem, it's the weight combined with the size, and a slick outside surface with no natural handholds.
        Last edited by djkest; 12-29-2014, 09:26 PM.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Quick update since there seems to be more interest in this.
          I am currently running this off my iNuke 3000 DSP amplifier. Since I have only 1 18" sub, I decided to screw around the the settings. I bridged my amp so that instead of getting ~600 watts it's more like 2000 watts. I also added some more filters. I put a parametric EQ on at 25Hz with a 3 dB boost. The idea is to lower the F3 from 35 Hz to about 22 Hz. I need to mess around in my other simulation software to nail down the Q and boost. (I should also measure it, actually). I also changed the low pass filters. I am doing 80 Hz with my AVR, and 120 Hz LR2 with the iNuke. This should really squash down the upper frequencies.

But anyway, with all this headroom and the new filters, it sounds fantastic. Before, I was able to get amp clipping when I really cranked Tron Legacy, but not anymore. The excursion is crazy, but I don't hear any mechanical noise from the sub. It handles the power with poise. Which makes me think I probably have the wrong amp for the job. I should have gotten 2 of the iNuke 1000 DSP amps, for one of the 4-channel iNuke 6000 amps and bridged it to 2 channels for my planned system of 2 of these badboys. But I am still pleased with this sub. I do need to tear into it one of these days and adjust the fiberglass "stuffing" as it is stuffed too tightly ATM.

It's really an amp issue though. 2000 watts bridged into 4 ohms, or 1000 watts per channel into 2 ohms x 2. With 4 ohms on each channel, I'm only going to get about 600 watts, and with PEQ that really starts to cut into my headroom. This seems like a lot of power, but my current room is very open with high ceilings which gives me no pressurization
          -Dan
          Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Working...
          X