Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Wicked this Way Comes (RSS460HO-4 18" Subwoofer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• djkest
    replied
    Re: Something Wicked this Way Comes (RSS460HO-18)

Quick update since there seems to be more interest in this.
    I am currently running this off my iNuke 3000 DSP amplifier. Since I have only 1 18" sub, I decided to screw around the the settings. I bridged my amp so that instead of getting ~600 watts it's more like 2000 watts. I also added some more filters. I put a parametric EQ on at 25Hz with a 3 dB boost. The idea is to lower the F3 from 35 Hz to about 22 Hz. I need to mess around in my other simulation software to nail down the Q and boost. (I should also measure it, actually). I also changed the low pass filters. I am doing 80 Hz with my AVR, and 120 Hz LR2 with the iNuke. This should really squash down the upper frequencies.

But anyway, with all this headroom and the new filters, it sounds fantastic. Before, I was able to get amp clipping when I really cranked Tron Legacy, but not anymore. The excursion is crazy, but I don't hear any mechanical noise from the sub. It handles the power with poise. Which makes me think I probably have the wrong amp for the job. I should have gotten 2 of the iNuke 1000 DSP amps, for one of the 4-channel iNuke 6000 amps and bridged it to 2 channels for my planned system of 2 of these badboys. But I am still pleased with this sub. I do need to tear into it one of these days and adjust the fiberglass "stuffing" as it is stuffed too tightly ATM.

It's really an amp issue though. 2000 watts bridged into 4 ohms, or 1000 watts per channel into 2 ohms x 2. With 4 ohms on each channel, I'm only going to get about 600 watts, and with PEQ that really starts to cut into my headroom. This seems like a lot of power, but my current room is very open with high ceilings which gives me no pressurization

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
    Great looking cabinet. I am a fan of the Rustoleum Hammered finishes and have used that same color, but
    I dont know why they call it black. Maybe charcoal or dark grey but it does not come close to being black.
    Yeah, it's not really black, but it IS very dark. In a dimly lit room it looks black. I do like this paint, although to get the "hammered" effect you have to lay it on thick! It's tough paint and it's also got a nice metallic sheen to it.

I was going to drag it outside a couple days ago to take some pics in the sunlight, but was having a hard time lifting it by myself. Not only is it ~109 lbs but it's somewhat large. I'll have my friend help me out one of these days. And actually the weight isn't the problem, it's the weight combined with the size, and a slick outside surface with no natural handholds.
    Last edited by djkest; 12-29-2014, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Squidspeak
    replied

Originally posted by djkest View Post
    I've been doing Bondo, Glaze, sanding, rinse, repeat. I did about 6 rounds of bondo or/ glaze.

Now that it's started to warm up I hit it up with 6 coats of primer. I have determined that the Rustoleum "Painters Touch" Gray Primer is my favorite by far. I used 3 cans of primer. Sanded it between every 2 coats.

And now paint. I am using the darkest black color of Rustoleum Hammertone. I really like how this stuff goes on and what it looks like. Exceeding my expectations. I already drained 2 cans dry and I'm about to buy 2 more.

Amazing it looks this good considering what it looked like about a month ago with all those screws.

ETA: You may notice I put a thick layer of bondo on the inside of the cutout. This was to help plug the holes in that crappy HD plywood, which is full of voids.
    Great looking cabinet. I am a fan of the Rustoleum Hammered finishes and have used that same color, but
    I dont know why they call it black. Maybe charcoal or dark grey but it does not come close to being black.

Leave a comment:

• superspeeder
    replied

Subscribed - nice build!

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Wow, the Dayton looks like an 8" next the the big one.

Glad you are happy with the sound

How's the MSII?

Robert

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Okay, so it's done now. Or is it? I buttoned it up. I did notice that the left side is a little rough, I think it needs another layer of paint. And I'm seriously wondering if I should do some Laquer on top. It's pretty shiny and the finish is durable, but it could be- more glossy? How durable is lacquer? Anyway, here are my preliminary finished pics. Poor lighting in the basement, I might take it out to the yard to get some better shots of it.

Speakon connector, air tight, with optional rubber gasket. Thing is tiny.

2 pieces of R13 fiberglass. 16" x 24" rolled up and stuffed in the back half. It makes a huge difference.

Next to the 12" Dayton Reference... which I have a feeling is going to get an overhaul soon.

I compared it to the Dayton 12, and it seems to have a much DIFFERENT sound. I think it is due to stuffing. The 12" has very little stuffing in it (as Zaph recommended). The 18" has the back half completely stuffed with fiberglass (and I'm thinking about putting some more in). The 12 sounds like it has a much higher pitch, almost sounds "hollow" but also with more harmonics. The 18" sounds very solid and deeper, with less resonance. Almost "dry".

I know that stuffing can smooth response and that it makes it seem like a "bigger" box, but is there such a thing as too much stuffing, or can fiberglass be stuffed too densely?
    Last edited by djkest; 12-29-2014, 09:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Here's some more house-wrecking bass, I'll admit, my subwoofer is junk, and probably only reaches about 30Hz... I shall be building monsters.

Dirtyphonics - DIRTY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6RxKIh5B6Hk

Xilent - Boss Wave (coolest damn video ever, especially for old school gamers)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4wTLjEqj5Xk

Example - Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OCmO-C9D3zE

Modestep - Sunlight (is that grandma in a bong-gasmask? :D)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bparw9Jo3dk

The Bloody Beetroots - WARP (ft. Steve Aoki) (Dirtyphonics Remix)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IozRIe6A46E

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Originally posted by tobis View Post
    That looks great. Understated, yet frightening.
    Yeah, it IS an 18" sub that can take almost 1,000 watts. I just realized that I am spending ($4 x 3) + ($5 x 4) almost $35 on rattlecans. When all said and done, Almost 4 lbs of paint and primer. I can weigh it when I'm done to see if that is right. It's kind of hard to move now, lol. Not only will it be over 110 lbs when fully loaded, but the size (20.75 x 19 x 27.125") makes it difficult to get a good grip on it. Downside to all this surface area is 7 cans of paint and primer. The hammertone likes to go on thick...

ETA: Wife likes the paint so much I might be painting "the Raven" 12" reference sub with the black Hammertone stuff so they match.

And it's time for some BASS:

Leave a comment:

• tobis
    replied

That looks great. Understated, yet frightening.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Looking good, one day I'll get a pair of Ultimax 15s in

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

I've been doing Bondo, Glaze, sanding, rinse, repeat. I did about 6 rounds of bondo or/ glaze.

Now that it's started to warm up I hit it up with 6 coats of primer. I have determined that the Rustoleum "Painters Touch" Gray Primer is my favorite by far. I used 3 cans of primer. Sanded it between every 2 coats.

And now paint. I am using the darkest black color of Rustoleum Hammertone. I really like how this stuff goes on and what it looks like. Exceeding my expectations. I already drained 2 cans dry and I'm about to buy 2 more.

Amazing it looks this good considering what it looked like about a month ago with all those screws.

ETA: You may notice I put a thick layer of bondo on the inside of the cutout. This was to help plug the holes in that crappy HD plywood, which is full of voids.
    Last edited by djkest; 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

You don't have to go the disposable route. Just get a couple packages of THESE. They are flexible so that when the bondo slop dries on the spreader, you can just bend and break the bondo off of it. I use mine many times over.

I also use a metal spackle knife for more precision spreading. On the metal knife, I just use a chisel to get the dried bondo off.

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Looks great. Yup Bondo spot putty is good for the very minor imperfections. Takes longer to dry but it fills pinholes and such really nice and it sands like drywall spackle. What will the final finish on the sub be??

I am going to get a quart of black acrylic, maybe semi-gloss. Spray it with an HVLP gun at my dad's place. It will have to be 100% ready for paint when I take it there, so it will have a chance to dry before I haul it back home. I will probably use a coat of sanding sealer, then several coats of Rustoleum gray primer first. I should probably also put some clear laquer on it. This will basically be a trial run for when I do the Mandolins later.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a marble or granite top for it.

ETA: Anyone have any tips for cheap/disposable spreaders to use for applying bondo? It's a little messy.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Looks great. Yup Bondo spot putty is good for the very minor imperfections. Takes longer to dry but it fills pinholes and such really nice and it sands like drywall spackle. What will the final finish on the sub be??

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
    Dan,

Put a finish on those Mandolin's! No wonder your wife goes to bed early when you start playing around with naked enclosures like a five year old kid with a bar of soap in the tub... :p
    Oh, I will! That is next on the agenda after I got this fully prepped for spraying. I hope to get it ready for spraying by June. And I have a surprise in store...

Speaking of prepping, I've been working on the sub. It was hard to take it apart, but progress must be made.
    I skinned the top and back with 1/8" HDF (hardboard). I was able to flush the top with the front baffle, so it was pretty seemless.

The purpose of this was to cover up seams and screw holes more completely, and to add just a touch more mass to the top and back panels.

I did put a heavy layer of bondo on the inside of the woofer cutout. This is because there were several voids, one of which actually leaked out the side!

Top top edges are chamfered, the front sides are 3/4" roundover, and all other seams will be 3/8" roundover. I have had some problems with the cheap plywood. The thin outer ply splinters easily and I've had some big voids right on the edge. I've used quite a bit of bondo and I have probably 2 more "coats" before I am fully satisfied. I wish there was a "thinning agent" for Bondo. Maybe I will have to get the "glaze".

Just weighed it: 62.4 lbs completely empty.
    Last edited by djkest; 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X