Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build thread: Fusion-12 Tempest (Jeff Bagby SEOS/Eminence design from Erich H)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build thread: Fusion-12 Tempest (Jeff Bagby SEOS/Eminence design from Erich H)

Hi All,

I'm slowly getting started on a pair of these Econowave-style speakers from the diysoundgroup site (I believe the parts are sourced from PE so hopefully I'm OK writing it up here -- http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion12-kit.html).

I got the parts Wednesday evening, and my first impression was "...um, WOW." I haven't held any pro audio components before, and the sheer mass of the Eminence woofers and compression drivers are just stunning. These things are going to be way, way, more than my house needs, but I will push on nonetheless. :D

I'm going to do towers that have plenty of bracing inside and a slightly shallower depth to keep spec cabinet volume. I plan to do a solid maple baffle on top of the the 3/4" MDF box. The MDF will be maple veneered. 3/4" roundovers all round and finish will probably be glossy oil-based poly.

A big thank-you to Erich H for putting these kits together. These things were packed so incredibly well that a pretty major shipping dent in the box had no effect at all on the parts. I have never seen so many layers of Styrofoam and peanuts in one box before. Erich's SEOS seems very sturdy and of a high-grade plastic. It's thicker and a lot more "finished" looking than I expected.

A few pictures of early progress below. I'm going to add more bracing, and am planning to build crossovers tomorrow. Really excited to take on this project. Thank you Jeff, for sharing your designs!

Colin

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2157057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1183435 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2157061.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1183434 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1287008.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1183433

Re: Build thread: Fusion-12 Tempest (Jeff Bagby SEOS/Eminence design from Erich H)

The overnight sensations are green with envy!

Comment

Re: Build thread: Fusion-12 Tempest (Jeff Bagby SEOS/Eminence design from Erich H)

Is that hickory on the TB fullrage? It's beautiful wood!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by GIS_PHAN View Post
        The overnight sensations are green with envy!
        Heh, I built those with my son when he was 6. He's 9 now and using some Nano Neos on his PC. The OSes are one of my favorite speakers.

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
        Is that hickory on the TB fullrage? It's beautiful wood!
        Looks like I mixed up some pictures. That's solid 4/4 maple - white on the edges and 3/4 maple ambrosia on the middle stripe. I'm trying to get familiar with solid wood. I know expansion may cause cracks over time, we'll see..

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2167062.jpg
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1146722 Click image for larger version

Name:	P2167063.jpg
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1146723Click image for larger version

Name:	P2037014.jpg
Size:	157.4 KB