X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WernerM
    replied
    Re: CC Conceptualizing

Okay I have to ask since I was dumb enough not to in my build. When I try to model the TC9, I can't get a Qtc of .707, because the Qts is too high ( according to Unibox ). In my build I used a volume of 15L sealed for a Qtc of around 1. Is this an issue? Would someone with more experience be willing to model a suitable midrange enclosure for this driver?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

i have to admit, i was conceptalizing a sound bar for my son that would be one beg box. maybe 36 wide by just 7 high and maybe 20 or so deep.

i like your idea. its purpose driven.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
    @Don: I have built the maurbacs for a friend, which is why I like the NS6, but I felt the vocals weren't exactly what I'm looking for in a CC. For music they're great, but I'm looking for a little more in the spoken word clarity for tv/movie use.
    I understand - while I have not found the Maurbacs lacking, I wanted to explore how much better (if any) a small 3 way would sound.
    I know now how dificult a good 3 way design can be. I suspect with WernerM's help and others you may find it easier. If so, I've got a bunch of the TC9 mids I'd like to use.....

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Be careful that the screen is not straight in line with your baffle because if it is you're basically extending your baffle to include the TV screen. Also if you do have an open chamber in the back you could always put your crossover there.

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied

It's simple enough I thought, you build a wooden box to set your TV on, it just happens to have some speakers in the front... The speakers don't want a box that big on the inside, you cut the volume down. The outside dimensions are set to look good. It's furniture + speaker. Just like Sidi said. If it ever came down to it I could realistically cut the extra chamber in the back off if I ever wall-mounted the TV, but seeing as I rent the house it's doubtful that I would do that in the near future.
    Last edited by Adam_G; 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sidi
    replied

I don't see any problem with people building speakers into their room as furniture. People make decorative end table subs, coffee table subs, etc.

Leave a comment:

• RoryB@daytonaudio.com
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is quite *** backwards.
    I think what Johnny means to say to the OP is, "Why build a speaker box larger than it needs to be with an empty chamber at the back, when you could eliminate the extra empty chamber and just build a shelf above the CC speaker to hold the TV?" Building a separate shelf above the center channel speaker to hold the TV would be my favored approach, since that way you'll have a speaker enclosure that is compact enough to use in other applications, not just for holding up the TV without a shelf.

$.02

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Johnny,
    Could you elaborate a little? This is an area that I need more clarification as well.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

My plan is to have the mid in its own chamber, but I haven't modeled how much volume that particular mid would like quite yet. I figure it won't be too much, and I will still need to limit how much volume the NS6 has in order to increase the power handling. I've got ~3cf total, I figure the mid won't take much, and if the two NS6 take around 1.3cf that'll leave me with an extra chamber in the rear with no speakers just to leave enough box to support the TV.

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied

My plan is to have the mid in its own chamber, but I haven't modeled how much volume that particular mid would like quite yet. I figure it won't be too much, and I will still need to limit how much volume the NS6 has in order to increase the power handling. I've got ~3cf total, I figure the mid won't take much, and if the two NS6 take around 1.3cf that'll leave me with an extra chamber in the rear with no speakers just to leave enough box to support the TV.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Several schools of midrange thought here:
    -largest midrange enclosure possible to allow the driver to naturally emit midrange uninhibited, up to and including open/TL/dipole.
    -Use the optimal sealed box alignment for 0.707 Qtc, even though it won't be reaching low.
    -Use the box rolloff in conjunction with the highpass to get the rolloff you want.
    -Use 'what fits' and compromise or adapt the design to suit this compromise.
    -use a dome-mid, sealed-back mid, or chambered mid and go with the flow.

Those really are your only options.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

IIRC I read some where that the box size for the mid chamber should be tuned for 1 octave lower than the crossover. I may be mistaken though. If I'm not, then I would model it in Unibox for a sealed alignment tuned to 250Hz (if shooting for a XO of 500Hz). Someone please correct me if that is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• WernerM
    replied

@ Werner: That's very doable. I wanted to keep it below the lower male voice reaches, but I was worried about the low end on the mid, so thanks for the heads up!
    @ Arlis: If it's too big I can reduce the chamber size by putting in a false back or something. The dimensions I was guestimating with were 8" tall, 24" wide, 18" deep external, figured 3/4 material, separate volume for the mid/tweet and woofers. When I looked at it in unibox the NS6 had very low power handling in the 2cf, around 15w, so it's probably better to go with the false back.
    The nice thing about your choice of drivers is that the NS-6 doesn't sound bad in the mid range frequencies. You need to take into consideration the TC9 needs its own space when thinking about the box dimensions. IOW that box may be okay once you add a separate internal chamber for the TC9. Once you figure out how much space to give the TC9, subtract that volume from your overall box, and that is the volume for the woofers.

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied

@Don: I have built the maurbacs for a friend, which is why I like the NS6, but I felt the vocals weren't exactly what I'm looking for in a CC. For music they're great, but I'm looking for a little more in the spoken word clarity for tv/movie use.

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied

@ Werner: That's very doable. I wanted to keep it below the lower male voice reaches, but I was worried about the low end on the mid, so thanks for the heads up!
    @ Arlis: If it's too big I can reduce the chamber size by putting in a false back or something. The dimensions I was guestimating with were 8" tall, 24" wide, 18" deep external, figured 3/4 material, separate volume for the mid/tweet and woofers. When I looked at it in unibox the NS6 had very low power handling in the 2cf, around 15w, so it's probably better to go with the false back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X