Bracing vs mass loading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing vs mass loading?

So I finally ordered my drivers for InDIYana. While I can't talk about them until after the show, I wanted to ask about box damping in general. I don't think this will be a issue with the contest rules as it is a theoretical conversation. However we can use the limit of 12L bookshelf box size in this discussion. I have seen a very good example of a mass loaded box in Wolf's Stance speaker last year. And we all had heard about the importance of bracing. My thoughts for this design are drawn in each of these directions. For mass loading i would like to build a box and then line the inside with non shrinking concrete. Going the other direction is to use interlocking 1/4" bracing at 3-4" spacing. These would be laser cut. Which would be better? Or is this just over kill and a single brace tying the sides together will be fine? What are your thoughts?
    Mass loaded.
    6.25%
    Many thin interlocking braces.
    37.50%
    Simple cross bracing - the other options won't be any better
    56.25%
    Last edited by duanebro; 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM. Reason: correcting terms

Re: Bracing vs mass loading?

I am a recent convert to the "impossible to overkill" camp, so both.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
      I am a recent convert to the "impossible to overkill" camp, so both.
      While I agree with you Johnny, I would think that it would be very difficult to do both at the same time.

Comment

Has anyone built 2 or 3 identical speakers with the differences being only bracing and/or mass loading to see what the subjective difference is? I'm neither rich nor overburned with too much free time. But if I were I'd do it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by duanebro View Post
          What are your thoughts?
          Look at this picture, a representation of panel to panel braces, viewed end on:

Adding the red brace gives the same stiffening effect as doubling the panel thickness. Adding the blue braces gives the same effect as quadrupling the panel thickness. Either is a lot easier than using concrete.

As for polling, this is engineering fact that isn't influenced by opinion.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

It would if you mass-load on the exterior, as I did. Damping (notice no 'en' there, no wet boxes apply) is one thing, typically of the absorbant variety. Mass-loading make the panel have a higher potential energy, and harder to resonate due to it being heavier. Bracing makes breaks the panels up into smaller sections between bracing parts, and shifts the resonant frequency into a high range where it won't interfere with the midbass region. All three together would be the trifecta.
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by duanebro View Post
              While I agree with you Johnny, I would think that it would be very difficult to do both at the same time.
              As easy as using two thinner walls with space between, backfill with something.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

My brain says there is a "better than brute force" solution here, probably a finite element design using materials and methods we don't have access to, but in the real world, mass and bracing may be all we can do.

Comment

Instead of just adding mass, why not be more sophisticated about it and use CLD? David Smith (Snell, PSB, KEF, McIntosh, JBL, etc.) mentioned on DIYA that the cabinets for his big Snell XA Reference speakers used two layers of MDF with car-fi noisekiller spray between them.

As for bracing, in KEF's LS50 "whitepaper" marketing doc they discuss mounting the cross-bracing to the cabinet via some sort of mastic rather than a rigid mounting system. No idea if that's more a marketing point than a substantive one, admittedly.
                  --
                  "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Here is a link to a wiki that you might find interesting though the link to Tolvan seems to be dead http://www.diyaudio.com/oldwiki/inde...abinet+Bracing. Moriyasu did some actual testing and published in AES around a decade ago, if you can find the article. Here is another that also references the article: http://bellsouthpwp.net/l/j/ljfrank/Bracing.html. And finally, another discussion: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...materials.html
                    Jay
                    Jay
                    Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall.

Comment

What about stiffening ribs on the side panels. If placed assymetrically they spread the resonances, and they can be crosstied with bracing too.

Comment

Simple crossbracing with appropriate internal fill seems to produce good results in most situations. Shelf braces can yield particularly rigid and well damped larger cabinets and can be easy to implement. Mass loading of panels seems of more limited application and much more expensive if commercial products are employed over large surfaces.

Comment

didn't answer the poll as I've only done shelf bracing, but I did a little experiment with 3 pieces of wood about 6"x12" one 3/4 mdf, one 3/4 H.D. plywood, one piece was two 1/2" pieces with a ~3/16 layer of urethane rubber between, the rubber won, so my next project will be that combo with bracing. though I should glue two pieces of 3/4 mdf together to compare.
                          David

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                            What about stiffening ribs on the side panels. If placed assymetrically they spread the resonances, and they can be crosstied with bracing too.
                            This strategy plus fill or wall lining seems to make good sense to me and to be supported by some studies I have seen. I'm going to use hardwood ribs plus some crossbraces and then line walls with roxul on my current project.
                            Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
                              This strategy plus fill or wall lining seems to make good sense to me and to be supported by some studies I have seen. I'm going to use hardwood ribs plus some crossbraces and then line walls with roxul on my current project.
                              Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Working...
                              X