Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basshead
    replied
    I currently have a Cerwin Vega surround system comprising of VE-8 fronts (and respective surrounds and centre) presently powered though a Yamaha RX-V481, and Cerwin Vega VE-28S powered subwoofer (2x 8inch), and hoping to build a pair of Amiga’s and possibly the sunflower centre and bookshelf versions of the Amiga as the surrounds (to keep matched drivers) for a second living room (proposed house renovation). The subwoofer will be an existing pair of (probably equally as ancient as the CV’s) G&S Designs Redline GE7012 (the first car audio subs I ever bought, and have replaced the foam surrounds) in ported enclosure tuned to 35Hz (if I remember correctly from all those decades ago) and powered through a Teac Reference A-H500i (2x 50w @8ohms). I plan to modify the existing subwoofer enclosure so it can be used as a coffee table (subs firing down to the floor). Will the subs be overkill? Probably for most people

I’m not specifically after SQ and the new system will be expected to be an upgrade for general TV-watching but primarily want the performance for watching action and Sci-Fi movies.

It’s probably an unanswerable question, but would the Amiga fronts be on-par with output (volume) as my present Cerwin Vegas? I’d be looking at a newer Yamaha RX-V4A (5.2ch) or V6A (7.2ch) for the new speakers.

Leave a comment:

• prighello
    replied
    Re: First speaker building project. Looking at Paul Carmody's Amiga Project

I'm no guru, but I'd advise you to stick with a proven design rather than trying to come up with something new right out of the gate. There's a lot that goes into designing a speaker system. That said for most any design you'll have to build the crossovers yourself (from a schematic) unless you buy a kit that has pre-built crossovers. If wood working is more your thing and you prefer a pre-built crossovers there at kits from PE, Madisound, and Meniscus Audio where you just build the cabs.

Leave a comment:

• Archer
    replied

I can build one, and am pretty good at soldering, but I kind of prefer not to. When I learned to solder and electric theory, I was somewhat blind and my hands have always shaken something fierce. Doing the work always set off a headache. I got an Iron a little while ago, and even though I don't have the vision problems anymore (Yay Lasik), I still get the headache. I don't mind doing it, but I'd definitely not complain about not having to.

I've not really been able to find out much on Line Array's that have been helpful to a neophyte like me. I've always been of the opinion that the smartest people that I know did not know all that much more than the average person, but were encyclopedia's of knowing where to find knowledge at. I've not gotten that skill, yet, but I'm trying

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Four "FR drivers thrown into a cab" will most likely be quite disappointing. Using 2 drivers above and below a tweeter is acceptable (in an MTM arrangement - USING a crossover), but more than that (unless specifically designed to work properly, like a proper array) will lead to issues with dropouts, lobing, and comb-filtering (Google is your friend).

If you absolutely can't build a crossover, a pair of good FR drivers and sub COULD work (but that's only ONE FR driver per cab).

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Archer
    replied

All right, I've got a question in a stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked kind of way. Is buying one of the dayton subs (the 1200 for $129) and then grabbing 4 full range drivers wired in series parallel thrown into a cab be a viable alternative?

The series/parallel alignment would keep impedance at 8 (whatever I have will be run with an old Yamaha CR-1020 and I want to keep the work it does light if possible), but gain the loudness boost from the parallel arrangement. Set would use no crossover, which to me is kind of a good thing cause I've got a mild case of soldering ironophobia. I could also tell the wife that I kept the speakers cheap ish, but tell her I need a sub (which I've already laid down plans for).

Full range driver something like http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-861

Sub http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-629

I'm I at least in a ballpark?

Leave a comment:

• Jay1
    replied

Paul's D3 Refried built as a tower would really be an excellent choice.

Leave a comment:

• Archer
    replied

I've thought about just grabbing the OS MTM kit off PE, cabs and all and just focusing on getting the finishing experience for my first build, and then working out a sub a bit later. I kind of like the thought of a tower speaker, though. Was semi consciously avoiding bookshelf types.

Leave a comment:

• kevin007
    replied

As a guy who has now built a pair of Classix II's, OS MTM, OS TM, and OS CC, I would say you cant go wrong with any of them.

I too am also fairly new to the wonderful world of speaker building and I would say you cannot go wrong with any of the above choices. The sound quality, definition, imaging, and etc, are far better then you could ever find at any of the big box stores. And to give you a recent example of the sound quality and SPL, I went to a friends house who has designed a pair of line arrays that too me sounded better then anything I had ever heard before. We were testing out my new OS MTM's and when my friends roommate came home and thought we were listening to the line arrays. When we showed him he was listening to the OS MTM's he flipped. We also thought that the OS MTM's had better bass response then the line arrays. The line arrays are no joke either. They are a b*tchin pair of speakers!

So if you want a pair of speakers that sound more "refined" the OS MTM's and the Amiga's would work for you. If you want a rock and roll speaker the Classix II's are it.

Any way you go you will not be disappointed!

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Dave Tenney had his own site, but it's gone the way of archives like Wayne's site. I did print out the pages for the D8 back when I first joined Tech Talk about 13 years ago. I haven't checked the archive website, but I could scan those pages for you and e-mail them to you. Paul did a XO re-design for the DIII/new tweeter and Chris did an updated one for the D8. Any driver substitution will require the XO to be re-designed from scratch, but there are a lot of generous guys here, so they might be willing to entertain your request. I wouldn't presume to speak for them though. Even being proficient with the design programs, it still needs a time commitment and some tweaking to the final topology. I liked your analogy of being good at baking leads to others wanting you to bake stuff for them. Actually, my experiences with speaker building are similar to being a good baker. Once friends/family heard those Speakerlab S2's I made back in 1977, that led me down a path of making many different cabinets for the various Speakerlab designs to replace their previously-loved name-brand speakers. And it continues to this day, except I'm now using the great DIY speaker designs that I've found through the guys here. I love it, but if I had more self control, I could say no and be happy enjoying my own personal speaker nirvana with the different DIY designs I've built in the past 13 years.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• Archer
    replied

Thanks Paul. My original plan (well, less a plan and more a thought exercise) was using two dc200's and a waveguide/driver as kind of an Econowave on crack type of thing. Good bass, really loud. As I said before, I am new to this adventure. How difficult would it be to model a crossover (for a newbie) for something like that? Or upgrading the D8 with the same tweeter that you used for the refried?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

If you want SPL, then the Dayton 8, or the D3 (or my D3 refried).

You want links? Sheesh. :p

http://web.archive.org/web/200512141...D3/dayton3.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200512162...ayton_8MTM.htm

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...RS28F-upgrade)

Leave a comment:

• ROTECH
    replied

The Amiga is a fine design and should do well with your music taste.
    However, nobody has mentioned that the Dayton RS woofer has an open pole gap around the phase plug. For garage duty, you will almost definitely get debris in there leading to problems. A few members here have already had that problem with the RS drivers, myself included.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

I wouldn't advise dying it. That may change it's acoustic properties, and warrant a redesign.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Archer
    replied

Originally posted by prighello View Post
    FYI, the HiVi M series used in the ZX isn't really a gold color but more light tan that looks almost off white in certain lighting. You may be able to use it with your color scheme. The B series is closer to a golden being a bronze or copper color depending upon lighting. I have both drivers just so you know.
    I wonder if I'd be able to dye it somehow.....

Leave a comment:

• prighello
    replied

FYI, the HiVi M series used in the ZX isn't really a gold color but more light tan that looks almost off white in certain lighting. You may be able to use it with your color scheme. The B series is closer to a golden being a bronze or copper color depending upon lighting. I have both drivers just so you know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X