• Show
Clear All

• Anybody else seen these before?

I have.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-968

Re: Anybody else seen these before?

Nht?
    --
    "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Yes, NHT buyout. Zaph has measurements on his blog. They look like good woofers.
      -Kerry

Comment

The CSX stuff was always excellent. Those are a very good deal. The frames are a bit on the flimsy side, but the motor and cone produce the smooth response with low distortion akin to the HDS line.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The CSX stuff was always excellent. Those are a very good deal. The frames are a bit on the flimsy side, but the motor and cone produce the smooth response with low distortion akin to the HDS line.
          Because the HDS are not too far removed from "CSX guts in nicer frame."
          --
          "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Not the one on Zaph's blog. This is from the NHT Super Audio series. Specifically the dual 5-1/4" MTM center channel. I have a pair out in the garage I scavenged from that center channel. Both of mine measured closer to 0.6 Q, though. The center was a sealed design. Nice woofers, with the exception that the frames and the shielding cup are very, very, very, very ringy and it showed up in my impedance sweep. The ones Zaph tested had an o-ring on the shielding cup, so I grabbed one at work that would fit on the cup, and it still rings. This will need to be addressed to make sure it can be used to it's full potential.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

If you look at the larger picture of the back of the driver PE just got in the numbers are 850443 and 1-11-081-1. I think they are the same drivers I sent to Zaph to test.
              PE's QTS looks a little different though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                Not the one on Zaph's blog. This is from the NHT Super Audio series. Specifically the dual 5-1/4" MTM center channel. I have a pair out in the garage I scavenged from that center channel. Both of mine measured closer to 0.6 Q, though. The center was a sealed design. Nice woofers, with the exception that the frames and the shielding cup are very, very, very, very ringy and it showed up in my impedance sweep. The ones Zaph tested had an o-ring on the shielding cup, so I grabbed one at work that would fit on the cup, and it still rings. This will need to be addressed to make sure it can be used to it's full potential.
                They are the same model number that Zaph lists on his website. I did see the thing about the rubber O-ring on the shielding cup. Kind of interesting. Maybe you could just take the shielding cup off if you don't need it?
                -Kerry

Comment

Yes you are correct, I apologize. I have a pair of those as well and they were sitting next to my other pair :S
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I've been trying to sell my pair but no takers, and mine have the o-rings.

No need to apologize. Any build plans for your pair Johnny?

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                      I've been trying to sell my pair but no takers, and mine have the o-rings.

No need to apologize. Any build plans for your pair Johnny?
                      What are you sellin them for? Are they used or new?
                      -Kerry

Comment

One has been mounted. The other one I am listening to now. A design by Jeff B. and Mark K. using the Vifa DQ25 tweeter. Wolf has a design for that driver pair too, I wanted to give a listen. I bought them from the NHT clearance page years ago. Very lightly used. $30 for the pair plus shipping. See my moving sale in the classifieds here at PETT.
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...69-Moving-Sale

Comment

Can you take the shield off?
                          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

I don't think I would try too hard. A person could bend the frame or chip the magnet. The o-ring on mine does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
                              Can you take the shield off?
                              If they are anything like these, the shield comes off very easily. I bought some of these during a PE buyout a few years ago and a number of them had the shield and bucking magnet fall off during shipping.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-244
                              “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X