InDIYana Black Box competition comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDIYana Black Box competition comments

Hi all. I *really* enjoyed this year's black box competition, and thought all the entries were pretty good. I took a couple notes during listening, so I thought I'd share some of them.

#1 great, but lacking in the lowest bass, good balance, tweeter level maybe 1dB too high
    #2 good, but sounds a tad "congested"
    #3 smooth and relaxed, but not as resolving as #1, good bass, slight midbass bump
    #4 balanced, natural voices, a little light on bass, but nice imaging
    #5 rolled off a bit on top, some conjestion in female voices
    #6 great female vocals, deep bass, balanced and fun
    #7 a little "shouty", almost like a horn-type coloration, about average for the group (it's quite possible I don't know what I'm talking about, because most of the crowd loved it)
    #8 wow, nice vocals, good bass, great imaging, etc, etc...
    #9 lots of bass, decent female voices, slightly bright
    #10 bass-heavy, congested, dull-sounding overall
    #11 recessed lower end, but seems balanced throughout midrange
    #12 sounds amazingly similar to #1 (jk)

I know these notes aren't very complete, but it's just what I jotted down as I listened. Are there any thoughts for next year? All I could think about after this competition was doing a black box comp for full-range drivers. I think it'd be really interesting to hear the various <$150 full-rangers in a "blind" setting. Just an idea.
    Eric L.

Re: InDIYana Black Box competition comments

Originally posted by brkitup View Post
    All I could think about after this competition was doing a black box comp for full-range drivers. I think it'd be really interesting to hear the various <$150 full-rangers in a "blind" setting. Just an idea.
    I think that would be REALLY cool.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

eric,

not to hijack the thread, but did you decide on a midrange ?
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
        eric,

not to hijack the thread, but did you decide on a midrange ?
        Nope. After I found that one of my HiVi tweeters was damaged, I put the project on hold and started focusing on getting a new version of my Retro Passives ready for MWAF. Been a really busy guy lately with church, work, etc.
        Eric L.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
          I think that would be REALLY cool.
          In all reality, Wolf could limit the entries to only Tang-Band drivers, and there would be limitless possibilities. :D
          Eric L.

Comment

my thought was more along the lines of iron driver. Using say a midgrade tweet ($60-75?) and choice of woofer, limits on enclosure (just so we can make things easy to switch out), and blind of course. Depending on the driver chosen and where it is purchased, we may be able to get a group discount.

Eric, nice writeup by the way.
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Seems like a wonderful concept that was executed well.

Maybe a few tweeks, with blind judging maybe grills or a black color aren’t required. Maybe 3 minutes of music to get the top 3 then head to head with 3 more minutes of a different track
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

How about a 3 way under $150 for next year? Bryan could enter his Oversights and rename them the Foresights!
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by E Biddy View Post
                  How about a 3 way under $150 for next year? Bryan could enter his Oversights and rename them the Foresights!
                  Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
                    LOL!!!
                    DITTO!

Okay- since there is some conjecture-
                    I've thought of a few things that I COULD do...

-high-sensitivity theme, no contest.
                    -use a single cabinet and drivers, make the attendees build xovers, contest for certain, possibly blind. This was done for DC 2001, and has not been since- Jeff B won.
                    -full-range/single-driver contest less than $250 for drivers yields lots of options, and let anyone do what they want with xovers. No blind judging, but contest would happen. Any driver applies, not limited to just widebanders.
                    -an uber-stand-mount contest. Drivers required would be over a threshold in price, and box size would be limited. This would be adverse or inverse of this year's contest.
                    -Ludicosity- Build something abnormal, no square boxes allowed, weird combinations of drivers is encouraged. Price limit for drivers only, as xovers would likely get $alty with this one. Vote for most 'askew' design.

So- what do you think?
                    I can start a preliminary thread...
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

+1 Price limit lowish
                      +1 Blind
                      Open to any else. Iron tweeter?
                      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Wolf how about this idea...

Everyone uses the same 2 drivers, set a budget for the crossover, but everything else design wise is open. Must be able to be duplicated. Blind Judging would still take effect.

I kind of like this idea, because then it lets everyone get creative in the design part, and can help see what is possible with the same drivers.
                        HAGD,
                        Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

i like the single driver idea
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Ludicosity without a doubt. Make it three way with 175 limit on drivers. I really think people like the idea of bang for the buck being part of the rules and it opens it up to more people. I like the fact that every body seemed to have designed their own with a wide variety of driver choices. Bryan's BB 3 way showed there is interest in a budget three way which is what I am working on for Lonestar audio fest. The choice of inexpensive 4 inch to 2 inch wideband drivers include several from Dayton Audio, Vifa, TangBand, and Fountek. A good three way would be even easier to design than a two way.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                              i like the single driver idea
                              It has been done to death already and I don't think you will see any new drivers or any real new approaches to frequency shaping networks.

Comment

Working...
                              X