Need advice on Pioneer CS-44 Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Pioneer CS-44 Woofer

The guys over at audiokarma sent me this way for some advice. I am looking to replace the woofers in a pair of Pioneer CS-44's. The tweeter's are in good shape and I would keep the crossover the same. Any suggestions on what woofer would work well in these speakers? Thanks for your help!

Re: Need advice on Pioneer CS-44 Woofer

It appears someone has undertaken this journey:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...472#post576472
    I am trolling you.

Comment

I saw that thread, but it looks like the speakers he ended up going with have been discontinued... I have little experience so I really do not want to rework, bypass, or replace the crossover, instead I am just looking for a good woofer that I can use with the original speaker configuration.

Comment

You might try the GRS options, or the current buyout 8" ribbed paper woofer. It is unlikely anything will be a DOWNgrade.

It also appears the crossover is a very simple two-piece unit; it will provide some baffle step compensation and increased high-end rolloff. Considering the high Qts of cheap woofers, that might actually be bad for the sound. You might try removing the inductor.

The tweeter's capacitor should be replaced. They are at least 40 years old by now.
        I am trolling you.

Comment

This is one of those "is there anything much you can do bad to it" threads. Throw the inside (or outside) dimensions at me with the wall thickness so I can figure the volume of the enclosure, and any port size, and I think I can "shoot from the hip" with a copy of a workable design for you. It won't be the last word in "hi-fi" speaker design, but if my mind is working right, it'll blow the OEM outta the water for a doable price. Not "dirt cheap", but very very reasonable.
          Danger: Ricky-Pooh has an idea!

Comment

Originally posted by aarthur66 View Post
            The guys over at audiokarma sent me this way for some advice. I am looking to replace the woofers in a pair of Pioneer CS-44's. The tweeter's are in good shape and I would keep the crossover the same. Any suggestions on what woofer would work well in these speakers? Thanks for your help!
            Oh wow - I was just talking about these speakers a few days ago on another thread! My dad had a pair of them. They had a really nice sound if I remember correctly, though I was a teenager at the time. Are the cabinets themselves in very good condition? Are the bass units actually blown? From what I remember, their cones were a bit soft, and it's possible that the tinsel leads are just broken and and can be repaired with a soldering iron.

Really nice - I'm envious! And I wouldn't toss any old woofer in them either!
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

What was the outcome of this thread? I have the exact same issue. Recently found a pair of CS-44s but the woofers are no good (voice coil blown). I, too, found the audiokarma discussion of these speakers from 2006 but the replacement speakers referred to can not be found.

any suggestions on replacing these woofers?

Comment

The GRS 8FR-8 (aka BOFU) (part # 292-430) isn't a terrible starting point. The original Radio Shack Nova 6 speakers are so nearly identical in every way from drivers to cross-over pieces, size and grille design, I've always wondered about "cross-pollination", if you will. (At least). I've never found a paper cone 8" flat woofer (25 watt RMS/40 watt peak) anything quite like both speakers use in the last decade. For a while, some surplus places had some with the "30-3000 Hz" FR markings you could pick-up for under a 10-spot. Everybody said they were "for sealed speaker use only", which is about true. IF you can find either with good woofers, re-working the XO-s and moving the tweeter MUCH closer to the woofer (seal up the old tweeter opening) is worth the effort. If your cabinets are as pretty as my Dad's RS Nova's walnut cabs are, cut out most of the recessed baffle, bring it out flush or beyond the edge taper with a new baffle and start over with modern drivers. Something between a 6" and 7" (180mm) woofer should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post

The GRS 8FR-8 (aka BOFU) (part # 292-430) isn't a terrible starting point. The original Radio Shack Nova 6 speakers are so nearly identical in every way from drivers to cross-over pieces, size and grille design, I've always wondered about "cross-pollination", if you will. (At least). I've never found a paper cone 8" flat woofer (25 watt RMS/40 watt peak) anything quite like both speakers use in the last decade. For a while, some surplus places had some with the "30-3000 Hz" FR markings you could pick-up for under a 10-spot. Everybody said they were "for sealed speaker use only", which is about true. IF you can find either with good woofers, re-working the XO-s and moving the tweeter MUCH closer to the woofer (seal up the old tweeter opening) is worth the effort. If your cabinets are as pretty as my Dad's RS Nova's walnut cabs are, cut out most of the recessed baffle, bring it out flush or beyond the edge taper with a new baffle and start over with modern drivers. Something between a 6" and 7" (180mm) woofer should work.
                  Whitneyville1 - I was searching the forum about this GRS 8FR speaker and saw you had made a comment I think as far back as 2012. Your comments have generally been it "isn't terrible" and such but I think you did build something with it way back. I'm thinking of a really cheap GRS 3-way...this driver looks pretty cool and wouldn't need to go below 300-400Hz or above 2.5-3.0 Khz. Is it simply "not terrible" or is it "pretty good for the cheap price"?

Comment

Woooo, this is ooooold. The two way GRS is "not terrible" and the three way is "pretty good for the cheap price" and I have to give some credit to several others on the three-way including Johnny Richards. I stole the ideas on the two-way from Johnny's Cabrini's I guess. A basic concept that works gets re-done several ways, usually not as well, and often without due credit.

Ricky-Pooh

Comment

Working...
                    X