My Iowa project - teaser alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Iowa project - teaser alert

A big UPS box showed up at work today from PE. Along with a bunch of regular supplies and clearance junk it also included a pair of fairly hefty Dayton reference drivers slated for my latest project which hopefully will be done in time for DIYIOWA! They are humming at about 25 watts and 60 Hz free air right now. More to come :p
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Re: My Iowa project - teaser alert

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    A big UPS box showed up at work today from PE. Along with a bunch of regular supplies and clearance junk it also included a pair of fairly hefty Dayton reference drivers slated for my latest project which hopefully will be done in time for DIYIOWA! They are humming at about 25 watts and 60 Hz free air right now. More to come :p
    What a coincidence! A big UPS box arrived at the Ha-Ha Hotel today too! (FYI, the Ha-Ha Hotel is my house). Mine was a collection of crossover parts, cabinet hardware, and a delightful PE Flyer. There's also a big pile of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF at the top of the basement stairs, just begging for a transformational trip down to the workshop. The fine folks at Home Depot also supplied me with a new kerfing blade for the table saw and a 1/2" bit for the router...guess who's making some curved cabs??? That's right. This guy!

I've never been good at documenting my builds, so Craig if you do a good job documenting yours I promise to do the same.

See you in Grinnell!

Comment

wow. that's it?!?!?!?!
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        wow. that's it?!?!?!?!
        Okay okay... The bottom end of these 3 way floor standers will be RS225-8's. Paul K. is helping me out with the TL design. This will be my most complicated design/built yet.
        Craig

Comment

Sounds intriguing... My set of four all measured a little higher in Q than advertised, made them a little space hungry for what I wanted to with them.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Wow...exciting stuff!! Paul K. sure is a popular designer these days...and a helluva guy too.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

you will love them in the PK TL. Garrrroooonnteeeeeddddd.
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Lowell and Bryan, you're making me blush. :o But I surely appreciate the kind comments. The RS225-8 is a great driver in a TL and really easy to design with. It's also a great driver, period.
                Paul

Comment

Craig, I wish I would have known, I’ve got 4 -225s nicely broken in…
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Awe man!
                    Craig

Comment

word of caution. 25W steady can be dangerous to the driver. Go grab a 25W lightbulb after it's been on for a few hours. 5w, 10w MAX imo.

Comment

Sorry Marty, I got in a bit of a hurry as a big storm is predicted to hit here pretty soon, so the pictorial documentary is a bit lacking but here we go:

I decided I wanted to build a curved sided enclosure (my first). Paul K. designed the woofer alignment. It is a ML-TL. Big shout out to Paul K for all the help!!! You rock!

Ripped out the top, bottom, and window braces and then rough cut them slightly over sized with my saber saw

I built a template with 1/2" MDF so I could use my flush trim bit to make them all identical.

After flush timming:

Here are the window braces marked with a Sharpie:

Beat the storm and got the braces "windowed".

Tomorrow I can start to glue up the sub frame.
                        Craig

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          Sounds intriguing... My set of four all measured a little higher in Q than advertised, made them a little space hungry for what I wanted to with them.
                          When my friend and I had both the -4 and -8 models to evaluate we definitely preferred the -4 both for it's bass output (relative to the -8) and it's top end also seemed a little nicer to work with when trying for a simpler crossover.
                          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

how is this going? do you need some straps? I can get you some like in the pic below. no ends to connect. let me know.

Comment

C'mon tell us what the other drivers are!

Comment

Working...
                              X