Cheaper Router Bit Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaper Router Bit Source

Just sharing.... I haven't used these guys before: mlcswoodworking.com.

I ordered a 1/2" shank, 1/2" diameter, 1 1/2" CL, two-flute, carbide-tipped bit late last Thursday night. It arrived today (Monday).

Total was $8.95. No shipping, no handling, no tax. My regular sources are typically around $15 BEFORE shipping and handling. Of course, it's only a bargain if the quality is the same. I won't know until the next project.

Anyone else using this source?

Re: Cheaper Router Bit Source

Yeah I got a 1.25" roundover from them for $45 or so shipped

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
      Yeah I got a 1.25" roundover from them for $45 or so shipped
      1.25"??? I get nervous using a 3/4 round-over bit (which, BTW, I spent at least $45 for from Woodcraft long ago). Why so large?

Comment

I got a bunch of bits from MLCS. Great prices and service. I was totally pleased.
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

I am going to order a couple odds and ends, I think. They have a bit I have wanted forever - a 1/2" roundunder bit...
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            I am going to order a couple odds and ends, I think. They have a bit I have wanted forever - a 1/2" roundunder bit...
            That's a VERY handy bit!
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dunn View Post
              1.25"??? I get nervous using a 3/4 round-over bit (which, BTW, I spent at least $45 for from Woodcraft long ago). Why so large?
              It didn't really work out... it was scary to use, lol.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

Comment

I have used several of the Katana premium bits and have no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  It didn't really work out... it was scary to use, lol.
                  You weren't trying to make the whole cut in one pass, were you? You do have a router somewhat bigger than a PC 690, don't you? You were using a table and not trying to free-hand it, right?

Hint: When using a large round-over bit, put a 45* chamfer on the edge at the table saw before attempting the router.

Bob

Comment

I did it in several passes, by hand with my 3.25hp Bosch 1617, I probably should have done the 45* chamfer thing. in the end I burned the boxes because I completely fubar'd the pain on them, haha.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

Comment

I got a coupon from them and kinda "stocked-up". They aren't Amana's and they sure aren't Mitsubistshi's, but if you're like me and like 1/2" shank bits and solid carbide up or down spirals for hole cutting, and can live with their limited profiles, for the average Joe, they're a good value. If I was using some $600 a bd/Ft exotic woods, especially the hard ones, Well...

Comment

I've used several of their bits. Their cheaper spiral upcut bits have proven the most durable for me. I have the 1.375" chamfer bit and successfully used it freehand on the back of driver cutouts. Their Katana bits are also very nice. They ship very fast, usually at my door in 48 hours or less.

Comment

I've also used their Forstner driver set and have no complaints.
                          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

I bought this router bit set (1/2") from them and LOVE it. It has a few bits I've never used and maybe never will, but having them on hand is fantastic!! Very pleased w/ the quality, I would stack them against my Freud bits for sure.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ges/set66.html
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

I've bought several bits from them. In general I'm satisfied with them, but I've managed to snap a couple of them during use. It might have been my fault for pushing too fast or trying to take too much material off in one pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X