Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this 14.5 cubic foot subwoofer box adequately braced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this 14.5 cubic foot subwoofer box adequately braced?

Front angled view:

Backside straight view:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Projects:
    1. Melodious Monitors: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...DsO7QEFSodJMEk

Re: Is this 14.5 cubic foot subwoofer box adequately braced?

Definitely. You could even get rid of the outer framing braces.
    http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

I don't agree.

From what I can see, you have 5 panel sections of + 24" x 20" which are not braced. Your sub is at least 15", probably 18".

I assume that you intend to clad this structure with 3/4" MDF or plywood. With any substantial amount of power, these sections will vibrate. Continue the same method of bracing on those sections and increase the section on which the sub is mounted to at least twice the thickness.
      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Not yet.

I think you still need to add front to back braces on those panels to each side of the woofer.

Top to bottom braces on all the panels too. With as much push as that 18" woofer is going to have, I'd not leave more than 6" between braces on any surface.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I forgot to mention the top and bottom panels, but I see Pete already pointed that out.
          “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Not yet.

I think you still need to add front to back braces on those panels to each side of the woofer.

Top to bottom braces on all the panels too. With as much push as that 18" woofer is going to have, I'd not leave more than 6" between braces on any surface.
            I can't put more front to back bracing around the 18" sub. I could add more front to back braces every 6" just not in the middle. Currently the top to bottom braces are 6" top and bottom and 7" in the middle so I assume that part is good. I'll just add two more and keep them 8" apart instead of the 6" you recommended. I'll do some work and post it and then you can tell me how it looks then. Appreciate the good information. I would have never thought to make 6" apart. Guess that 18 will pump some air in that box.
            "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Projects:
            1. Melodious Monitors: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...DsO7QEFSodJMEk

Comment

Close, no cigar. IME using 3/4 inch thick panels you don't want more than 8 inch spacing between braces. OTOH you've got all those corner cleats, and they don't do anything positive, they just add weight and take up internal volume. The cabinet corners are the strongest/stiffest part of the cabinet, the last thing they need is bracing. The splines you have across the panel faces don't add much either, and that material would be better employed as panel to panel bracing. This picture, showing dowels rather than 1x1s, is how you get the maximum effect with minimum material:

BTW, 14.5 cubic foot for a sealed sub?
              www.billfitzmaurice.com
              www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

EXAMPLE: 18" subwoofer, one more brace is currently being built to go in between the two that are widely gapped. You can see the little slot it will slide into if you look close. Might be a bit overkill (1" panels and braces, largest unbrace section is 5.5"x13") but that's how I do. :D

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

It looks like you are planning to use 1"x2" and 2"x2" braces. You can reduce these to 1"x1" or 3/4" dowels and space them so you have a brace every 8" in all directions. Your construction method also wastes a bit of internal volume with unnecessary frame. You could just glue a bottom, side and back panel together then glue in all the braces directly to the panels like Bills illustration shows. Glue on the other side panel then the top and baffle.

Comment

Here's my next build, courtesy of Mr. Takitaj

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1149992

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                      here's my next build, courtesy of mr. Takitaj

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37137[/ATTACH]
                      beautius!
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                        Here's my next build, courtesy of Mr. Takitaj

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37137[/ATTACH]
                        What's the specs on that box? For what driver? Very nice!

Comment

It's for an RE audio RFX12D4, super High Qtc so it doesn't break xmax down to single digits, response f3 should be about 15Hz or lower with room gain and linkwitz transform

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

To the OP, ..
                            IMO, .. This is excessively large for a box sub . If you're going to build something that large, horn load the sucker.

In the end it's you choice though. Best of luck

Comment

Yeah, the framing thing... dude, you gotta let that go. And for that size, I'm with zobsky. Just build a THT.

Comment

Working...
                              X