No announcement yet.

Anybody remember the Recession Busters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember the Recession Busters?

About four years ago I made a pair of these in a small Quarter Cubic foot cabinet and gave them to some friends for their wedding anniversary. Yesterday their daughter was married in a Milwaukee park pavilion and they use the speakers there for the very first time. The speakers were placed on the concrete floor of the pavilion and filled the space with an amazing amount of sound. No side walls or back wall, yet even at the far end the sound was quite satisfying. BTW, these were powered with a cheap little karaoke machine - the kind with a cassette player and glorified Mr. Microphone hardwired into it.

Kudos to the Madisound people for a terrific little design.

M.

Re: Anybody remember the Recession Busters?

Agreed. I wish someone would put together another package like that. Tremendous bang for the buck!
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Yes! Recession Buster 1 are my Son's rear channels (sealed) and I use the IIs in the garage vented. They do a good job.
      Tim

Comment

I made a pair, gave them away. Do you remember the Reference Recession Busters?

Comment

I built some for my son. My first build.. two vented three sealed. I used fornication for the baffles.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

My brother still has a pair I built for him sealed. Amazing little speakers. I would love to steal them back.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              ... I used fornication for the baffles.
              :eek: I imagine that's a spell-check issue, but...

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                LOL. Not necessarily, he may be saying he used formica which in his opinion may be frowned upon?
                HAGD,
                Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

I built a pair; my first speaker build. I didn't recess the tweeters, so I pulled them out the other day and hope to get the recesses cut and the cabs veneered soon. Great bang for the buck!
                  Mike
                  "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                  Bismarck, North Dakota
                  My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                  My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                    yeah, not so smart phone. formica.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      I used fornication for the baffles.
                      You are going to have to give us a demonstration of this procedure one of these days! :D
                      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

In true recession style, I have two of these kits that a very generous TT forum member gave to me and my son (recession style, because I've been unemployed for 15 months now, and I was also laid off in 2010/2011 for 8 months). My son and I built enclosures together out of leftover MDF. It was a really fun time of showing him how to use a bandsaw, a borrowed router, and various other tools. Mine are completed (a faceted design with a front port, shown below). My son's enclosures (built following Madisound's specs) are complete, except for finishing (life got in the way...he doesn't have the spare time that I have). We are thinking about getting some Duratex to finish his this summer. He dreads finishing as much as I do. Duratex seems pretty simple, inexpensive (for the $20 sample kit) and foolproof. We like building the boxes best.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by john trials; 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM.
                        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

In the spirit of "where are they now?"...

One pair is still in Vermont, the other is moving to Baton Rouge next month. They go where my kids go, and the sound is better for it.

HAve fun,
                          Frank
                          Last edited by fbov; 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

fjuerta came up with a modification for the xover that IMO made a quite a difference.........more BSC..... http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ession+busters

BobC

Comment

Working...
                            X