Linkwitz LX521 project finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkwitz LX521 project finished

I've passed voltage through them, and they make sound!

This was a seriously expensive undertaking for a man of my means, and it challenged my woodworking and finishing ability.

I have some initial listening impressions from my first few hours of listening...
    • These things can produce some SERIOUS bass. I have always taken claims of deep bass from dipoles with a grain of salt, but these do better in the depths than the two sealed 10" Pluto+ subs that I've been using until now.
    • Little details, like string harmonics, are resolved better than my Plutos could do.
    • The sweet spot is a little narrower than for my Plutos.

I was a little apprehensive about them because my listening room is narrow, and I'm up against the minimum space specifications set by Linkwitz for adequate reproduction. There may be still be some issues because of the room, but I'll never know in my current home. They sound very good to my ears.

I have a build log [a long one - you've been warned!] at http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/audio/lx521.html
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    www.afterness.com/audio

Re: Linkwitz LX521 project finished

Those are works of art!

Comment

I always love your work (woodworking, finishing, and photography). That's a nice set of speakers!!!!
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I can't design them, so I just try to make them look good. Someone else is responsible for the magic.
        Bill Schneider
        -+-+-+-+-
        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Incredible write up and beautiful speakers Bill.

Rich

Comment

Now I see where those beautiful cherry panels were going!
            Great WW as usual. Sort of disappointed that the sweet spot is narrow.
            Love to hear great dipole bass sometime.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Remember that I'm coming from omnidirectional Plutos where you could stand between the two speakers and still hear a soundstage. It's relative.

I don't know how they would compare to conventional speakers like the ZDT3.5 speakers I built a couple of years ago, or some of the others. It's been too long since I've had them hooked up to remember.
              Bill Schneider
              -+-+-+-+-
              www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Superb work, Bill. I am reminded of Crocodile Dundee...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLS3RGesIFQ

I'm the punk, brandishing my new speakers, then you respond with these!

Do you still have the ZDT3.5s? A comparison would be most interesting.

John

Comment

Wow, too bad they're so plain... ;)

Seriously, you do some of the best work I've seen. Just Beautiful.

How much of the electronics did you build? Just the XO, or the amps too?
                  Jay T
                  http://sites.google.com/site/lhwidgetssite/home

Comment

Bill,
                    As always, you do great work! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
                    Tim

Comment

Bill,
                      As always, you do great work! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
                      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                        I've passed voltage through them, and they make sound!
                        I cut a pair of baffles for one of those. Very nice project.

Tom
                        Tom

NEW CNC Site http://cnc.trbailey.net/
                        My Projects BLOG http://speakers.trbailey.net/

Comment

Jaw dropping. Simply gorgeous. Enjoy them
                          Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Thanks! I was going for a fairly high WAF - which I needed to do with unconventional speakers like these. She likes them and says they have personality.

Siggma: Did you use CNC to do it? A lot of the builders are going that route. I made a template, and used a router table to cut the odd shape.

Oldermongrel: I do still have the ZDT3.5 speakers. I doubt that a comparison is forthcoming anytime soon. I know which I prefer already. The money spent buys you something in return.

lhwidget: I did not build the amps. I have an ATI1806 (6 channels x 180w/channel) serving up volts. It is a robust amp, and has to be for this load. The two woofers on each side are paralleled, and the load drops to 2 ohms at some frequencies. That doesn't phase them. As a TV engineer friend put it, you could weld with them.

I did build the active crossover using the circuit boards that I ordered from Linkwitz. If you can solder, then use something like ARTA to test the electronics afterwards (software that I learned along the way on this project), it is simple.

There are also plans for a MiniDSP digital crossover for the LX521 that one of the users created. It is getting some attention with some builders who can't solder.

I still have a turntable for some of my older music collection, so the analogue crossover made sense for me.
                            Bill Schneider
                            -+-+-+-+-
                            www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I'm late to the party, but these look phenomenal. The woodworking and attention to detail are among the best I've seen in DIY.

I do wonder why Siegfried Linkwitz chose that 'mannequin' shape for the dipole baffle. (I call it that because to me it looks like a mannequin with no arms, or maybe a bust sculpture.) I think I'd be more excited about this design if the baffle shape made aesthetic sense to me.
                              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                              Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Working...
                              X