Looking for a tweeter that can cross at 1k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tweeter that can cross at 1k

I think everyone is looking for such a thing, right? But really, what's the current state-of-the-art as far as dome tweeters go? I'd really like to do a 2-way system with an 8" woofer. I was looking at the Transducer Lab N26C-X and the Fostex FT48D. The N26C-X looks very nice and has a ridiculously low Fs. The Fostex has a fairly high Fs, but is one of the few 1.3" domes on the market. I know the Dayton Reference domes can go very low, but I'd like to try something different. I have really loved Paul K's RS Duet the couple times I've heard it, but the woofer I plan to use has perfectly flat response up to 1k, then falls off rapidly. Any suggestions?
    Eric L.

Re: Looking for a tweeter that can cross at 1k

CSS LD25X

For a bit of added output (and a dispersion pattern that will probably blend better with an 8" woofer over the crossover region), you can also put a waveguide on it.
    http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/waveguides.htm
    There's also the CSS Planar 2 and Beyma TPL-150H.

Which woofer do you plan to use?
    :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

+1 on the Planar CSS2. It has a large face plate horn loaded. About 9" long and 5" wide. I've used it and can say only good things about it.
      "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Projects:
      1. Melodious Monitors: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...DsO7QEFSodJMEk

Comment

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
        CSS LD25X

For a bit of added output (and a dispersion pattern that will probably blend better with an 8" woofer over the crossover region), you can also put a waveguide on it.
        http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/waveguides.htm
        There's also the CSS Planar 2 and Beyma TPL-150H.

Which woofer do you plan to use?
        Wow. I had somehow never run across that waveguide site before, but I've heard the LD25X in one of Jeff Bagby's designs. Great suggestions. The woofer in question is the 4ohm version of the Seas L22RN4X/P.
        Eric L.

Comment

Definitely this one

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-mid-tweeter/
          http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
            When the manufacturer lists the minimum crossover frequency of 1500Hz, I'd take them at their word.

Unless you're going for really large planar, the only good way to get a dome to play that low is with a waveguide. Audible strain at higher volumes will be an inevitability without one.

T-Labs or CSS in a guide!
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

oh yeah, I guess if I'm suggesting tweeters as pricey as the TPL-150H, I may as well point to the Beryllium Scanspeak Aircirc (6640).
              :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

I'm thinking this http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-dome-tweeter/ in a waveguide might work, and I've always admired the design of this particular tweeter.
                Eric L.

Comment

When the manufacturer lists the minimum crossover frequency of 1500Hz, I'd take them at their word.
                  Well, it has more then a 50% Sd advantage, and double the xmax of something like a 27TBFC/G, which is also listed as having a 1500 hz minimum crossover. Then there's also Troels high output distortion test

Click image for larger version

Name:	red-T35-dist+6dB.gif
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1150382

I'm feeling froggy about this one handling 1 khz.
                  http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Any thoughts on the Seas L22rn4 crossed over @ 1000hz? I had thought this woofer would need to be in a 3 Way crossed around 300-500hz?
                    Are you going active with this build. There is some major cone breakup higher up around 3-5K on the data sheet. I would think that could be trouble for a passive crossover build.

I will sit back and listen, I have no more input, just wanted to see what people thought.

Steve

Comment

Eric-
                      I'm going to advise you not to try to get the L22 to 1kHz. IMO, this entire L series of drivers is problematic in a 2-way, and using a metal cone (while doable, I've done it) really makes the curve to success more like a cliff.

If you are up for the challenge, and are stubborn enough to make this future arrangement blend, then I say go for it; but it won't be easy.

I didn't think the CSS LD25X could go that low even in a waveguide....
                      The TLabs might be capable, and sounds better too, IMO.

I'm of the opinion that trying to push a tweeter too low can be detrimental to the sound, whether in a waveguide or not. Seems too low to me at 1kHz.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Unless you're going for really large planar, the only good way to get a dome to play that low is with a waveguide. Audible strain at higher volumes will be an inevitability without one.

T-Labs or CSS in a guide!
                        The CSS has an Fs ranging from 940 -1100 Hz in the samples I have used. I would be pretty hesitant to push it that low for a crossover point, even with a waveguide. It may do OK, but I would want to take some distortion measurements down there first. My Usher 9930's have an Fs of 490-530 Hz and more surface area too, something like that might be a better choice. Unfortunatley, he's looking for something other than the Usher/RS28 series.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Please don't laugh.

Full range speaker

Comment

Agreed, I used the Fountek FE85s for tweeters and think Dan N did also.

I have plans to try the Vifa TC6.
                            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

The vintage Advent fried egg tweeter can be crossed at 1k Hz. Is there a modern version of it available?

Comment

Working...
                              X