Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

... Because I Know You Guys Like Speaker Cable Threads ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... Because I Know You Guys Like Speaker Cable Threads ...

Here are my latest. I call these the Mulders. :D I need to solder some spades on one end and bananas on the other. This is a 6 wire braid using military spec 14 gauge silver plated Teflon coated copper wire. The jumpers are for my Def Tech BP2000s. I need to make 2 more.

Some of you may recall the Skinners, which I'd posted about a while back. They are currently hooked up in my living room system. These are a 4 wire braid using military spec 12 gauge red and black silver plated Teflon coated wire. The camera's flash makes the red look orange.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs

Re: ... Because I Know You Guys Like Speaker Cable Threads ...

Should resist corrosion for quite some time, and you won't have much issue with voltage drop. They look cool too, thanks for sharing.

Comment

very nice, they look great. :p
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Thanks guys!
        1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs

Comment

Your cables look great -- I like 'em!

Comment

can we market the "meanie greenie" for $ 125.00 a foot, and the "orangie" I do not know what since nothing rhymes with orange, but we will sale these for $ 200.00 a foot. the way things are going i am going to need a new friend to associate with. :D
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I like the names. My cats would love those wires, they look tastier than the optical cable they've been playing with:/

Comment

Thanks guys!

CraigK, They're actually red. The camera's flash just makes them appear orange. So it'll be much easier to find a word that rhymes with red.

ChrisN, I don't let my cats in the living room where I have my good gear. They get to chew on the Belden 6100UE that I normally use. :D

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                  can we market the "meanie greenie" for $ 125.00 a foot, and the "orangie" I do not know what since nothing rhymes with orange, but we will sale these for $ 200.00 a foot. the way things are going i am going to need a new friend to associate with. :D
                  I remember a Koolaid type drink called Funny Face that had a flavor called Orange Orange.:D

ooops I lied. It was Jolly Olly Orange. I could have sworn it was orange orange. I sware it was before my tokin days.

Comment

Originally posted by richard t View Post
                    I remember a Koolaid type drink called Funny Face that had a flavor called Orange Orange.:D

ooops I lied. It was Jolly Olly Orange. I could have sworn it was orange orange. I sware it was before my tokin days.
                    Orange Orange was from Trix cereal - "Lemon yellow, raspberry red and orange orange".

Comment

Got any photos of the braiding process?

Comment

Originally posted by clydethecat View Post
                        Got any photos of the braiding process?
                        That is what I was just thinking - would like to see the pattern for the braid.
                        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

How about a video explaining a 6-wire round braiding process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=186mcycMcA4

Comment

Very nice, my main speakers are sitting out from the wall so the wires are exposed, it would be nice to dress them up I am sure the sound would be exponentially better also ;)
                            More details please - like where do you get your wire?

Comment

The video that MGrant1957 linked is the same one I used to learn how to do the braid. It's pretty frustrating at first, but after a few practice runs with some cheap wire it will go smoothly.

I buy my wire from some bloke called NitroPower2000 on ebay. Looks like Apex Jr. actually sells the stuff for less than what I paid. http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

When I do my braids I put all black wire on one side and whatever color I'm going to use on the other. I tried alternating colors, but the final result didn't turn out right.

Also, I've tried doing an 8 wire braid and a 12 wire braid, but they didn't turn out very nice. I may have to experiment around with those a bit over the cold Indiana winter months.

I can't make any promises as to how your speakers will sound using this type of braided silver plated wire, but my speakers sound one million times better! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X