A Proposal from Jeff - Need your feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Proposal from Jeff - Need your feedback

Being a sales rep and doing trainings and clinics on a regular basis, I know that capturing the event on tape would most likely ruin the experience of those attending the event. If Jeff decides to put that on video he should do it alone and talking to the camera directly without a bunch of people walking in front of the camera. It would be much easier too, because he could do a series of videos in a 'capsule' format (shorter videos) on different subjects. Also, if I am attending the event with Jeff (wait, I WILL!), maybe I am not interested to end up on YouTube. Just food for thought.

Comment

Great idea. But as others suggested... wouldn't a youtube instructional video sans the seminar be easier? It could be the beginning of a series.
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

knowing Jeff the way I do, I think his idea behind this is to help the beginner understand the process of speaker building from the initial thought to listening to the final product. I'm thinking a video series is probably the last thing on his mind. how many of you out there has he helped without expecting anything in return? He is much too humble for that. He just wants to share some of the knowledge he's aquired over the years. I'm sure not all his secrets though...lol. I think it's pretty safe to say he doesn't want to become the next you tube sensation.

Comment

I would have to agree that asking Jeff to do a video series is asking a lot. He gives a lot to this community and has yet again offered his expertise to us. There are undoubtedly others out there who enjoy making videos. Maybe someone else, possibly one who attends Jeff's workshop, could use the knowledge gained and do a video series. It might be best coming from one who is learning, so the videos are tailored to those at a similar knowledge level. Of course it would be wise to run them past Jeff or one of the other knowledgeable PETT members. I think we should see how the workshop goes, and build from there; a dedicated video effort would be more useful.
          Thanks for entertaining the idea of something like this for the PETT community Jeff!
          Mike
          "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
          Bismarck, North Dakota
          My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
          My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

I'm not speaking for others but I wasn't "suggesting" that he do a video series... only that he could if he wants to. For my part, I was only suggesting to do a single video rather than a conference because it's easier.
            "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
              I would have to agree that asking Jeff to do a video series is asking a lot.
              He doesn't have to do a video. Someone else who knows how, someone who attends the seminar could do it for him. Simple.

Comment

I agree that sticking a video camera in the back and taping Jeff talk from the back is probably less than ideal.

But the downside is that a lot of folks just won't come. So I guess it depends on the target audience.

My suggestion is to just record the audio alongside a screen capture program. If this is mostly pc based, then you just see what Jeff sees on his screen/the overhead, whether it's PCD or powerpoint and you listen to Jeff's voice. It requires virtually no disruption to the actual presentation. The only one being that Jeff has to wear a mic. Any questions that are asked need to be asked at the mic, or, Jeff needs to repeat the question so the mic picks it up. We do this all the time for conferences that I attend, or, rather can't attend, and imho it works very well.

Alternatively, Jeff could do an audio commentary/screen capture session apart from the conference, based loosely on his presentation.

To get what I mean, I had posted a bit earlier about free webdesign software that microsoft orphaned and said that you could "learn from youtube."

The link below shows what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDeB3FHQXU

You're not recording a conference room, watching the presenters lips move from the back of a poorly recorded room. So some of the objections previously noted in this thread don't apply. Most computer based presentations can easily be recorded in this fashion.

Yes, it's more work and I'm certainly not trying to twist Jeff into doing something he doesn't want to do and burdening him with extra work. But, the question is,

Do you want to do something that can benefit the entire diy community anywhere in the world with internet access, or do you just want to have a local get together?
                audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Jeff,
                  I think we discussed this idea at some point and I thought then and still do, that it is an excellent idea. I knew you would have a tremendous amount of interest. Don't feel obligated to do any more than you would like and as a result end up with something you are also not looking forward to.

As you know, I'm a SoundEasy user, but I will be there, if at all possible, as I know I will pick up something of value. If you want to consider more content (doubtful), there's always the Diffraction and Boundary Simulator.
                  Dan N.

Comment

Given there are probably several people who use Jeff's software proficiently, perhaps they would be willing to share their expertise in order to produce an instructional video/presentation separately from the workshop he has proposed. Perhaps they could take off from what transpires at the workshop to produce something better suited and structured to teaching and learning at a distance.

rpb's Holm Starter, as I recall Ryan Bouma contributed and perhaps others as well, is an example that might be used and enhanced:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t=Holm+Starter

If this approach were to work, it might be an example that can be repeated in the future to help others learn new software, design, testing & etc. approaches and even woodworking skills.

Comment

Count me in.

Comment

Not sure if this has been brought up (didn't read all posts) but you can make a PowerPoint presentation and then record a voiceover to make an effective presentation. I did this for our local DIY Audio group prior to our last meeting. It explained some theory, went in to measurement techniques that I use, how to blend data sets together, extract the minimum phase response, and then design a crossover using my Active Crossover Designer tools. The presentation was about 35 minutes in total and zipped came to about 18MB including a transcript of everything. In the end I was pretty satisfied by the process and I have been meaning to put it up on line but still have to get around to it.

The process of making the PP presentation definitely took some significant time (I was learning as I went along) but it allowed me to repeatedly edit and refine the presentation. When you present in person, unless you are very well prepared, I find that you can easily start to ramble, especially if there are many questions from the audience. If you are going to prepare something, why not record it as a learning tool?

Jeff, I'd be happy to send you what I put together if you want to take a look. Also, anyone else who is interested can drop me a line.

-Charlie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Splashscreen NCDIYAUDIO tech talk 2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1150670
                        Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I am interested in going. After reading the posts about video taping it, I think that it would be better to not video the seminar. Video would add stress to the whole thing. Making a walk through of Jeff's method would be of more beneficial, imho.

Comment

I agree Jeff you might want to do this more as a small group to start for a lot of reasons. At some point "go to meeting" is a great way to do large group presentations I do one every Friday with 23 people from 7 countries who attend.

I did something similar for the Hot Springs, AR DIY guys a few years ago. I can tell you it is hard to do a PCD tutorial in an hour. I would say that for the most part guys were like "what did he say" and "I have no idea what he is talking about". Problem is most guys are at a level where they don't grasp a lot of concepts that may seem elementary to someone like you. So you spend a lot of time getting past the basic concepts and theory. For it to be really good it should be Jeff B.'s how to do a crossover in a 12 part mini-series.

Face it a lot of guys come in with out basic electrical concepts/theory etc... Problem is now you need to do a few hundred hours of prep to do a how to series, I think that is where a lot of people lose sight about how much is being contributed here by guys like you especially. They are hoping for the "I know what Jeff B. knows" to occur in about 2 hours tops. You have been to enough get togethers to know that that is a tough one to figure out.

Good Luck, if I can help let me know. I never mentioned this to you buy my son is at U of Evansville (on a scholarship) he is a junior (EE major) he just got accepted to GA. Techs masters program in power engineering. One of these days we should get together for lunch or dinner.
                            Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                            If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Can someone set up a mailing list of interested people on a website/?
                              please put my email in there.... [email protected] in case this comes to fruition.

Very cool idea, although yes some time in advance would be good as the market is small to moderate and spread across the country... so lots of coordinating of a few people would be required so that you get a good turn out...

That being said, your off to Lake Michigan... do it here in Michigan! and make a vacation of it!

Comment

im in sydney, aust. ive emailed jeff few times, where he point it out how to use the PCD. Without Jeff, r-carpenter and pete's direct help and lots of reading i wont be able to use the PCD with omnimic and dats to create a reasonable high performance system.

I vote for video, or proper documentation on steps to use the PCD with success ( and willing to pay for it ).

cheers
                                henry

Comment

Working...
                                X