X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathtub
    replied
    Re: A Proposal from Jeff - Need your feedback

Hi Jeff, I would be very much interested in this. I am trying to learn about the process of building a speaker. I have your design software but I really don't know how to use it. A video would be awesome too !

Leave a comment:

• gowa
    replied

Maybe take another Poll;
    How much would you pay for a video tutorial from Jeff Bagby?

LOL!

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I would likely attend as well.

Regarding video taping it, from personal experience that really ruins the presentation. The whole vibe changes and for the video to be effective the cameras are in the way, time is needed to change up the setup, etc. I used to present seminars fairly frequently and I found the recording process extremely disruptive. Sure someone can set up a camera in the back of the room but those recordings are generally painful to watch.
    I would think one camera from audience veiwpoint and one aimed at the computer screen. I don't think it would be painful to watch for those that want to learn. Of course a video could lead to even more questions as I doubt Jeff could cover much more than the basics in one day. If Jeff doesn't do a video we'll just pressure PE to make a series of video tutorials. Crutchfield has installation videos maybe it is time for PE to use a new marketing tactic ;)

Leave a comment:

• TN Allen
    replied

It might be wiser and much more effective to do a multi-media presentation using illustrations, video and voice overs. This can be done much more effectively, and allows for an incremental approach to assembling and editing rather than recording a presentation. It takes pressure off the presenter, allows a person to think through what is to be taught and learned, and how to do these most effectively. It also provides an opportunity for modifying parts as better ideas occur or questions that need answers are asked by those using the multi-media presentation. It's still a great amount of work, but usually much more successful.

Although over used and frequently badly done, Power Point is an excellent way to do multi-media. It provides an easy way to assemble a skeleton that can then be "fleshed out" with illustrations, video, photos and voice over to produce a logical learning tool complete with short quizzes. It's also a good way to send out parts of the presentation to be looked over by others, criticized and modified for improvements.

All of this is however a lot of work, but perhaps various people would take on parts of it. Producing this sort of thing is a great way to learn the material oneself.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I would likely attend as well.

Regarding video taping it, from personal experience that really ruins the presentation. The whole vibe changes and for the video to be effective the cameras are in the way, time is needed to change up the setup, etc. I used to present seminars fairly frequently and I found the recording process extremely disruptive. Sure someone can set up a camera in the back of the room but those recordings are generally painful to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied

I too would be in, providing life didn't get in the way!

Just to throw this out there,,,,, when I taught SCUBA, we video taped our lectures so if a student missed a class they could watch the tape. Nothing fancy, and the students that needed to watch it said it helped.

Hope this comes together, Mark

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

guys I do understand the desire for video and hope that can be worked out. But let's not put so much pressure on Jeff that it becomes an absolute requirement for him to do it. Jeff is a wonderful orrator and I could easily listen to him for hours but that is a lot of pressure to put on anyone especially for one that had not been videoed before and over the course of a full day. editing the content and putting it together for online or DVD distribution would also require many hours of his (and others) personal time of which there would probably be little if any compensation.

From personal experience I know that when was part of a series of aikido training techniques we shot somewhere around 40hrs of film that edited down to about 6 hrs and the editing took 6
    months easily. We were professional by no means and our final product showed it but production costs and time were substantial.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by andy19191 View Post
    If you intend to perform an exercise like this more than once then don't video it. A video of a normal person (i.e. not a professional presenter) talking for hours to an interested audience doesn't work well on video compared to being in the audience. You can see this in many recordings of presentations on you-tube. But it is a cheap way to reach a larger audience. If you wish to use non-interactive video well then use its strengths which generally involves a lot of preparation, a small amount of talking heads, largely self contained navigable chunks, video clips, slides, animations,...

Teaching material with a significant interactive component generally takes 2 or 3 iterations before the presenter feels it is working as it should. It can be surprisingly difficult to work out beforehand how long it might take to get something across and whether it is worth the time. It is common to pick up during the teaching that you are using a bit of knowledge that the students don't have and you need to bring in. Similarly it can become clear that an item of two is of little to no interest.
    Your comments echo my thoughts on the matter. Still, I will give it some consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Geniuss_dad
    replied

Would i love to attend? YES. but life and distance say no. However I would definitely be all in for video or dvd.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Must be put on video. Folks sometimes underestimate the value in preserving knowledge. For all any
    of us know, this kind of thing might never happen again. I don't know how it could be structured,
    but I like the idea of basic and advanced sessions. Maybe a quick run through (1 hour?) - then go
    back and do it again while delving into all of the choices, possibilities and assumptions.
    ("We imported the mid-woofer like this - if you had a MTM design with that woofer, you'd now do "this"
    in this application")

Doesn't need to be perfect. I'd imagine the steps in the process would lend themselves to breaking up
    the video into 10-20 minute chunks.

Leave a comment:

• andy19191
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Fifth, I am not sure I am sold on the video recording and live streaming. This is all new to me (doing the seminar) and those things take some of the casualness out of it and leave little room for error. I will have to think about that. I would be more comfortable if the first time is a bit more intimate of an experience. We will see, like I said, still thinking....
    If you intend to perform an exercise like this more than once then don't video it. A video of a normal person (i.e. not a professional presenter) talking for hours to an interested audience doesn't work well on video compared to being in the audience. You can see this in many recordings of presentations on you-tube. But it is a cheap way to reach a larger audience. If you wish to use non-interactive video well then use its strengths which generally involves a lot of preparation, a small amount of talking heads, largely self contained navigable chunks, video clips, slides, animations,...

Teaching material with a significant interactive component generally takes 2 or 3 iterations before the presenter feels it is working as it should. It can be surprisingly difficult to work out beforehand how long it might take to get something across and whether it is worth the time. It is common to pick up during the teaching that you are using a bit of knowledge that the students don't have and you need to bring in. Similarly it can become clear that an item of two is of little to no interest.

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Fifth, I am not sure I am sold on the video recording and live streaming. This is all new to me (doing the seminar) and those things take some of the casualness out of it and leave little room for error. I will have to think about that. I would be more comfortable if the first time is a bit more intimate of an experience. We will see, like I said, still thinking....

Jeff
    I think you're right and although i'd very much like to see a video, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do one (I'd hate the thought of doing a seminar, let alone the extra pressure of it being on video).

How about a separate video with the camera pointed at the computer screen, with you explaining how to use your software? If it doesn't work out, just delete it and forget it ever happened.
    I'd be more than happy to pay for a video tutorial (I tried to use PCD but must of done something wrong :( ). As i'm sure loads of other people would too.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hey guys,

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied

Jeff
    Jeff I hope you reconsider this - streaming and online video is such an integral and effective part of learning/dissemination of information these days. Certainly one could say that before TT and other forums such education was also more intimate. Of course an attendee could just as well make their own video of what they learn but then we head off into a game of telephone and secondhand informrtion, which the internet is NOT good at - so I hope you will be open to the possibility of streaming; perhaps as a compromise if there is someone who has the savvy, your seminar can be converted to an online presentation with focus just on slides and your voice for audio only, etc. Lots of possibilities.

just my .02

Leave a comment:

• markk
    replied

Other options along the "record the video" line
    (sorry if these have been mentioned-it's late, I rapidly looked at the replies)

--YouTube videos. Less formal. Can't make much money but more internet fame...
    --Do an audio recording with a screen capture program and post that on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X