CNC baffle for SB13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC baffle for SB13

Just thought I would show these to those interested. One is for a DaveP waveguide for the OX20 the other is a buyout Infinity ceramic dome tweeter. The wg will probably get painted as it has overspray. The other I'll probably veneer over the holes after some fill, not sure.
    He get a really great job. The drivers fit perfect.
    I'll let the maker chime in if he chooses.

" To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Re: CNC baffle for SB13

Hello Arlis,

It looks like you have a good uniform fit around the drivers, I'm curious though, why not mount the Infinity from the back?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Just thought I would show these to those interested. One is for a DaveP waveguide for the OX20 the other is a buyout Infinity ceramic dome tweeter. The wg will probably get painted as it has overspray. The other I'll probably veneer over the holes after some fill, not sure.
      He get a really great job. The drivers fit perfect.
      I'll let the maker chime in if he chooses.

Are those projects heading to Brooklyn?

Comment

Arlis,

Do you have a link for the Infinity buyout? Thanks

Comment

Arlis, is that Infinity tweeter the same as discussed in
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...argain-Tweeter

My 11-old grandson and a couple of my friends thought the Infinity tweeter was just as clear sounding as a Raal ribbon.

Comment

TN. I guess we didn't think of that. they don't seem to be available at this time.
            Ligs, yes it is.
            all the links for it are at the link in post #5
            These will not go to Brooklyn. shipping would just be a killer.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Nice fit on the SB13s! A bit better than I was able to get using a template.
              Bet the WG version sounds real nice.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                He did a good job for his first try. I hope he chimes in.
                The WG was one of the first DaveP did. It make the Vifa ox20 very low distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                  I was able to get pretty good lines from the driver's spec sheet. I had to clean it up a bit, but the proportions were all correct. First try was a success, at least for the profile. I think I made the first one a hair too shallow.

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                  Hello Arlis,

...I'm curious though, why not mount the Infinity from the back?
                  Mounting from the back did seem like the right way to go with that tweeter. However, it did have a preinstalled gasket, which suggests it was intended for traditional mounting.
                  L&R BuildSub Build

Comment

I suspect there may be people who would like a template to follow with a router bit that has the bearing at the top of the flutes, on the shank rather than at the end of the cutter. That may be another benefit of doing CNC work.

Comment

Originally posted by bendaniels View Post
                      I was able to get pretty good lines from the driver's spec sheet. I had to clean it up a bit, but the proportions were all correct. First try was a success, at least for the profile. I think I made the first one a hair too shallow.

Mounting from the back did seem like the right way to go with that tweeter. However, it did have a preinstalled gasket, which suggests it was intended for traditional mounting.
                      Ben, I think it proves your pretty smart. really nice job, I think.
                      I also think your the only one in the heartland doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
                        I suspect there may be people who would like a template to follow with a router bit that has the bearing at the top of the flutes, on the shank rather than at the end of the cutter. That may be another benefit of doing CNC work.
                        TN,very good idea.All of us would like to have the CNC option but it is impractible for a one-off build for
                        most diy'ers. If CNC'd patterns were available for these irregular shape or round drivers, that
                        would help. I can make a pattern to route any profile driver but the time involved is not cost
                        effecient, however once I have a pattern I can mass produce perfect copies. So maybe CNC'd
                        patterns that someone with a flush trim bit (upper/lower) could copy is something that would
                        help.

Comment

If you think it makes sense, the next time I mill a baffle, I'll mill a template(s) and send it/them to you. You can then mill as many as you like and distribute them to whomever. How much clearance would you suggest for the drivers, I find some tweeter face plates vary, but only have a few to measure.

While on the subject, the same can be done for substitute tweeter face plates to use for mounting to waveguides. These are simple, just a 1-1.6" round hole surrounded by 3-4 smaller screw holes. I've used 1/16" Aluminum, as well as 1/4" Corian where I want to blend the waveguide throat to the tweeter mouth diameter. I'd be happy to provide a similar template if you or anyone else wants to distribute face plates.

Comment

Working...
                          X