Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Texas DIY Event??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Texas DIY Event??

    All,

    I've been contemplating starting up a Texas DIY event. I know that we have the Lone Star Audio Fest, but it's really quite commercialized. An absolutely fun venue to visit, but I'm thinking something more intimate, and specifically for DIYers to show off their designs, get feedback, and have a good time.

    I'm not aware of any Texas DIY event, so if there is one, let me know.

    Anyways, there's a lot of planning to be done, so this is just merely a query of interest.

    I'd be thinking to hold the even in Austin. Granted, if I'm planning the event that makes things easier on me, but it also is the central location of Texas. It's an easy(ish) drive from just about anywhere in the Lone Star State. I'd probably be willing to fly in one of the "experts" who normally wouldn't be able to geographically come (someone like Jeff or Ben or Roman or...) in order to speak and provide a good basis for how these Texas designs compare to those in the great DIY mecca of the midwest.

    There is no current concept on time, although I'd tend towards placing a Texas DIY event in the winter or spring to capitalize on the better weather in Texas (as versus Indiana in January/February).

    I'm hoping there's enough interest to pull something like this off, and maybe get an annual event going. Perhaps even design challenges, etc. At this point, I'm not even sure how many people it would take to make this worth it, but I want to help expand this great DIY hobby!

    Let me know your thoughts, opinions, and be sure to tell me to fly a kite if you think I'm insane ;).
    15
    Heck yeah! I'll be there with my boots on, no matter how many Lone Stars I drink!
    46.67%
    7
    I'd make it if the wife gives me a hall pass.
    46.67%
    7
    Sounds great, but can't we have it in a less WEIRD city?
    6.67%
    1
    Uhh, didn't you already know about that other event? Don't bother.
    0.00%
    0
    DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
    The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
    The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
    The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
    AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

  • #2
    Re: A Texas DIY Event??

    Leroy R and myself live in the Austin area and we both would love an event like this.

    So Austin it is!

    Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

    Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A Texas DIY Event??

      In Dallas, we used to hold DIY events about 5 times a year. That was before I had kids. I worked a lot with DThomas on coordination, and we typically had between 7-20 folks per meet. I don't have the time allocation to do this any longer, and Dave is relocating soon. I would certainly entertain a trip to Austin. It's not too bad for me, and a fun city.

      Could you wait until the heat index is below 120?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A Texas DIY Event??

        Man...... Do you even have to ask?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A Texas DIY Event??

          I'd be interested. We have relatives in Houston so it would be a convenient excuse to get down there to visit with the spousal unit.
          Bryan K.

          Midwest Audio Club

          Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A Texas DIY Event??

            Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
            All,

            I've been contemplating starting up a Texas DIY event. I know that we have the Lone Star Audio Fest, but it's really quite commercialized. An absolutely fun venue to visit, but I'm thinking something more intimate, and specifically for DIYers to show off their designs, get feedback, and have a good time.

            I'm not aware of any Texas DIY event, so if there is one, let me know.

            Anyways, there's a lot of planning to be done, so this is just merely a query of interest.

            I'd be thinking to hold the even in Austin. Granted, if I'm planning the event that makes things easier on me, but it also is the central location of Texas. It's an easy(ish) drive from just about anywhere in the Lone Star State. I'd probably be willing to fly in one of the "experts" who normally wouldn't be able to geographically come (someone like Jeff or Ben or Roman or...) in order to speak and provide a good basis for how these Texas designs compare to those in the great DIY mecca of the midwest.

            There is no current concept on time, although I'd tend towards placing a Texas DIY event in the winter or spring to capitalize on the better weather in Texas (as versus Indiana in January/February).

            I'm hoping there's enough interest to pull something like this off, and maybe get an annual event going. Perhaps even design challenges, etc. At this point, I'm not even sure how many people it would take to make this worth it, but I want to help expand this great DIY hobby!

            Let me know your thoughts, opinions, and be sure to tell me to fly a kite if you think I'm insane ;).
            Were still doing at least once a year but not as often as we used to. I am always up for it there are several guys around that still to Lonestar Audiofest. Let me know I will go to Austin or be glad to host here in Dallas. But as Blair said I am moving as soon as I sell my house, but that may be a while.
            Dave

            If you can read this, thank a teacher.
            If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran
            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A Texas DIY Event??

              I live in Houston so I would consider it. The Houston Audio Society used to have monthly meetings and may still do but I have not attended in some time. I met czag there as well as Rick Craig.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                There should be another option on the poll: Yes, I am willing to go assuming I can fight I-35 for 3.5 hours and still be civil enough once I arrive for the event......

                I'm in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                  It would most likely need to be on a Sunday though for me to attend, since I work every Saturday. Haven't evolved to designing my own other than the minions, but could bring some of what I've built of others designs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                    Let's face it, 90% of these meets are to drink beer and get away from life for a few minutes. You can bring a power cord and I will have a beer and talk to you about it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                      Originally posted by blair View Post
                      Let's face it, 90% of these meets are to drink beer and get away from life for a few minutes. You can bring a power cord and I will have a beer and talk to you about it.


                      They can be quite fun, and if I could make a Texas event I would be there.
                      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                        Originally posted by blair View Post
                        Let's face it, 90% of these meets are to drink beer and get away from life for a few minutes. You can bring a power cord and I will have a beer and talk to you about it.
                        You'd be talking about the beer, the power cord or both? This Texas DIY might be better than I thought. Must. Buy. Plane. Ticket.
                        Bryan K.

                        Midwest Audio Club

                        Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                          We all used to joke about killing Dave's mini fridge in two hours. By the time they were over, everything sounded good It is tons of fun! If we actually schedule something, maybe it will motivate me to finish the dipole project using only PE parts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                            Originally posted by blair View Post
                            Let's face it, 90% of these meets are to drink beer and get away from life for a few minutes. You can bring a power cord and I will have a beer and talk to you about it.
                            With a response like this I'm ready to go back to Austin, this time I'll rent a room vs. sleeping in the park by the river. Ah the good ole days going to Austin after getting out of the motor pool in Ft. Hood.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A Texas DIY Event??

                              Originally posted by hdben View Post
                              With a response like this I'm ready to go back to Austin, this time I'll rent a room vs. sleeping in the park by the river. Ah the good ole days going to Austin after getting out of the motor pool in Ft. Hood.
                              Proof that you have been to Austin. 6th street...to be exact

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X