No announcement yet.

Voxel - a mini-sub+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this is an older thread but I just built myself one of these. I wish I had done it years ago. I never really took it seriously as a 'real' subwoofer due to the size but it really performs nicely. I use it with a low powered tube amp for music in a decent sized room; it really adds the lower frequencies and blends easily with my speakers. I've tried 3 other subwoofers ($300 DIY to $700 factory built) in the same setup and this one sounds the best.

I'm going to build a second one for that room and then one more for my computer room setup.

Comment

• My second Voxel
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220625_111613886~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	353.4 KB ID:	1487662 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220625_111631112~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.7 KB ID:	1487663

Comment

• invaderzim
        invaderzim commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks! I still can't get over how much these add to the music. The big plus is they blend so nicely with the main speakers that I don't even notice what the Voxels is adding until I turn it off.

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice job, cherry(?) veneer.

• invaderzim
        invaderzim commented
        Editing a comment
        yes, cherry, peel and stick.
        I got it from a different source and the adhesive was a clear stretchy material rather than what I usually see for 3M. It was more of a pain to work with as the router blade would grab the adhesive and pull it off the edges of the veneer. I ended up pre-slicing the adhesive around the edges with a blade and that helped but it still doesn't grip anything like the other 3M stuff.
        Woodworking can be so frustrating and yet fulfilling at the same time. All the practice it takes to get better leads to a lot of projects that are 'almost' good enough up close. I've gotten better at convincing myself that nobody will ever be up that close so they aren't going to notice anyways.

• Nice job, looks really expensive. How much watt do you give it?

Comment

• thanks!

I use the Dayton SA100, I had it from using with a dayton 8" sub so it is probably overkill here as I don't think this would like that much power but I keep the gain fairly low. My listening levels are usually pretty low.

I'd love to find an amp for it that wouldn't thump when the power gets disconnected and reconnected. Not only could I make it switch off completely with the amp but when our power blinks it is an interesting sound in the middle of the night.

I'm planning to build one more of these.

Comment

• Scarface1
          Scarface1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I made a voxel years ago and used a tpa3116 2.1 amp and it popped like you said with your amp but i came across this amp board recently. It has 75 watt RMS at 4ohm for the subwoofer and 2 stereo channels. It have wifi and bluetooth and even dsp. The power supply is only 19V so not recommended but the remote is pretty cool. Just an idee but really cool amp boards at first look at it! BTW do you have port chuffing and wich diameter port do you use?

• Scarface1
          Scarface1 commented
          Editing a comment
          € 114,31 34%OFF | Wifi & Bluetooth 5.0 Hifi Stereo Klasse D Digitale Multiroom Audio Draadloze 2.1 Kanaals Stereo Versterker Board Up2stream Amp 2.1
          Last edited by TroyH; 06-30-2022, 08:11 AM. Reason: Links to competitors prohibited
      Working...
      X