Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disassemble and Mounting Dayton DTA-100 in Enclosure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ewgrosschris
    replied
    Re: Disassemble and Mounting Dayton DTA-100 in Enclosure.

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    When I was in High School, I lusted for the EICO 35 WPC stereo AMP kit from Bernstein-Appelby's or the Allied-Impex Kit from Allied Electronics, but the money I made went to paying my parents rent and to saving for school. It was MY money, but until I was 21, I was told how I could and could not spend it. I went to Viet Nam under those LAWS. 21 was the age of majority in 46 States until I turned 21. My Dad had to sign the papers for the first new car I bought (I paid in folding green hundred dollar bills for) because I wouldn't be 21 from September until December, so I couldn't enter into a legal contract. A year and a half later, I gave them that car, and five more, including a Fleetwood 85 sedan.

Hahahah what?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Originally posted by devinkato View Post
    Woah, you can't show us that huge capacitor to us without giving some details!
    can be seen here.
    http://s413.photobucket.com/user/arl...?sort=3&page=1
    and here
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=build

Leave a comment:

• mintos
    replied

, , ___
    __| _ |__ <--brace them with screws on bottom

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied

I'm still trying to brainstorm some way to clamp or squeeze the chassis of the amp to keep it in place. I haven't really sat down and thought it all the way through yet. Not that it's difficult... I've just been busy.

Leave a comment:

• scardeal
    replied

I'm doing something similar...
    How did you secure the DTA-100a there?

I haven't figured that part out yet.

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied

More pics to help get the idea across.

Initial concept:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marc Kaylor-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1151056

Test fit of flush mounted drivers:

Name:	Marc Kaylor-6.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1151057

Test fit of the amp:

Name:	Marc Kaylor-7.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1151058

I'm still figuring out the placement of the internal components and how to physically install the amp so that it doesn't move. Progress has been very slow, but I keep pushing forward. (Sorry Marc! You'll get these soon.)

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied

Originally posted by ewgrosschris View Post
    Is this even possible?

I was thinking if you could remove the casing, and mount the amp into an enclose to where the faceplate and volume knob is showing. Possibly open up the included power supply and wire it to a panel mount IEC?

Thoughts?
    It's like you're reading my mind dude. But I'm not removing the amp's casing. I simply made an opening in the front of the speaker. Voila!

My cell phone camera sucks but you can get the basic idea. Here's the left cabinet with some primer. (Right channel doesn't need the amp, only a "feed" from this speaker.)

Name:	MKaylor-1.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1151048

Now, painted satin black with the amp temporarily installed at the bottom. The grill will cover the woofer and tweeter but leave the volume knob accessible. The volume knob doubles as the on/off switch... perfect!

Name:	MKaylor-2.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1151049

This pair is for a friend of mine. I'm adding an Apple Airport Express to these so that it can receive music wirelessly. But it still has the input jack on the front if he wants to plug in a phone, mp3 player, or any other source.

The drivers and amp are all from PE/Dayton. RS180-8, ND28F-6, DTA-100a

Leave a comment:

• devinkato
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Woah, you can't show us that huge capacitor to us without giving some details!

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

the led's just take the proper resistors. the battery and charger thing is out of my league.

Leave a comment:

• ewgrosschris
    replied

Wow, that looks great. Very similar to the look I'm going for.

Just a few questions on the electronics side, How would I integrate a rechargeable battery in the box to be used when not plugged in via IEC, and to charge when plugged in? And if adding LED's to show when powered on, can I just run the power from the same power supply of the amp?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

Is this for portable use or home use. For home use, the sure amps are great.
    One of these
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-309
    With one of these
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-317
    make for a fine amp. You just need a volume pot.

and a few jacks, iec, plug

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Repackaging the power supply is the easy part. Removing the DTA-100(a) from it's case removes it from it's heatsink. If you provide enough cooling air (air volume, circulation, low ambient temperature air, fan cooling) the right combination of those can offset the heatsink case. The sound QUALITY of the DTA is light-years ahead of the Lepai's, and should be. Now having said all the nice things about the DTA-100a, driving a true 8 ohm load with the stock power supply, I rate it as about a 35 watt per channel amp at realistic distortion figures. That's not even 3 dB down from 50WPC. When I was in High School, I lusted for the EICO 35 WPC stereo AMP kit from Bernstein-Appelby's or the Allied-Impex Kit from Allied Electronics, but the money I made went to paying my parents rent and to saving for school. It was MY money, but until I was 21, I was told how I could and could not spend it. I went to Viet Nam under those LAWS. 21 was the age of majority in 46 States until I turned 21. My Dad had to sign the papers for the first new car I bought (I paid in folding green hundred dollar bills for) because I wouldn't be 21 from September until December, so I couldn't enter into a legal contract. A year and a half later, I gave them that car, and five more, including a Fleetwood 85 sedan.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

You'd need a heatsink without the chassis being used.
    I wouldn't advise it.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• ewgrosschris
    replied

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
    I was considering this with my little Lepai, so Im curious also. Make for and awfully nice set of portable speakers. What about this amp though?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-385

Not as much power but still probably enough for a portable pair or boombox type set up. What is the intended use?

Yea I've notice that that is extremely popular, but I'm not digging the 15w I'm looking for 50W per side min.
    And Considering that this would only be my second DIY I would like to keep the internals simple. And for my 3rd do all internals from scratch. Using the DTA would give me everything I need including LED's to show when powered on ect. I would just need to add an IEC to the back.

Portable Battery Power would be Ideal but I'm not that advanced with electricity to begin to plan that out.

Leave a comment:

• dustinbagby
    replied

I was considering this with my little Lepai, so Im curious also. Make for and awfully nice set of portable speakers. What about this amp though?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-385

Not as much power but still probably enough for a portable pair or boombox type set up. What is the intended use?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X