Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight Sensation MTM, adding portability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight Sensation MTM, adding portability?

Hello All,

has one thought of turning the OS MTM sideways, throwing an handle on top, and throwing an amp in the enclosure?

How does the coverage change? I think it can be made to look very attractive as a small "ipod dock" sort of thing.

Re: Overnight Sensation MTM, adding portability?

or this

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/sprite

i think the problem would be it would have to be mono. if you built it from scratch you could divide the enclosure and add another tweeter. i'm looking at my kit set, and you might be able to squeeze one in on the "stock" size, but you'd have to cut your own face plate.also you'd need to refigure the ports. and the crossover. just my two cents.

the good news is, these things go loud even with fairly low power, so no problem there.
    Last edited by kanemack; 08-19-2013, 09:17 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
      or this

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/sprite

i think the problem would be it would have to be mono. if you built it from scratch you could divide the enclosure and add another tweeter. i'm looking at my kit set, and you might be able to squeeze one in on the "stock" size, but you'd have to cut your own face plate.also you'd need to refigure the ports. and the crossover. just my two cents.

the good news is, these things go loud even with fairly low power, so no problem there.

Would being mono really be a awful idea. With a box this small I wouldn't imagine getting amazing stereo imaging. The one tweeter would work well for me as long as the sound still remained somewhat balanced.

Regarding the ports. Where are they located normally? And how would positioning differer when using the box laying down horizontally?

I've thought about the sprite aswell. But I honestly can't find many build threads on the box. I plan on doing multiple projects in the future. So I'm taking my time making slit of these pre thought out boxes before graduating onto something of my own wacky designs.

Thanks for the help btw.

Comment

Not an MTM but OS's were used to make a portable system.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=444254

Building the sprite is pretty easy if you have access to the tools. I've been using mine for about a month and I love it.

Comment

I built the standard OS's into a boom box cabinet. They rock the yard fo shure!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	overnightsensation.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	743.0 KB
ID:	1151060

Comment

Originally posted by GIS_PHAN View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]39104[/ATTACH]
            sweeeeet!

to the op the Os have a single port. as for being mono, i guess it depends on what you listen to. i think you would lose stuff mixed to be either right or left, depending on which channel you used. i'm not an expert, but i think with 2 channels into one enclosure would tend to affect the way it sounds. in the end i guess try it, and if it doesn't sound good try another configuration. best part of diy- mdf isn't expensive.

Comment

WOW! Haven't seen that before! Great job!
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Do you have any build info?

I would love to see your build info if you have it.

Kevin
                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                OS MTM's
                Digger 8 sub
                Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                Sprite Build
                Wolf's PC Speakers
                Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

The box I picked up from mcmelectronics, its the Gem Sound - model TB58 (I believe its NLA). It had dual 5" openings so I hand cut the baffles to fit the front.

Standard crossovers and I used an patterned t-shirt to cover the baffle.

Comment

Working...
                  X