Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board vs 2 Lepai 2020A+ amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board vs 2 Lepai 2020A+ amps

any thoughts on which would sound better and have more power? i have the power supplies for either set up, im using this to build a left and right speaker for my tv and a sub with 2 8 inch woofers. the price is about the same, the lepai is already in a case and has the bass and treble controls and volume on it, which offers benefits, im curious if the sound quality on the TK2050 is better or equal to the lepai, you wouldnt think it from reading the reviews, but spec wise it seems it should be alot better.

Re: 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board vs 2 Lepai 2020A+ amp

If your source is the earphone, then the TV's tone controls will be available. Are the speakers bi-ampable?
    If not, what would you do with the other two channels?
    that said, I have the sure 2x300 and really like it. Yes, you do have to make a case.
    I think the Lepai would be fine for a bedroom, maybe not in a large room.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Re: 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board vs 2 Lepai 2020A+ amp

the samsung hd tv has a 3.5 stereo output and a fiber out, i would use the 3.5 out to a rca cables, then splitters to make 2 sets of left and 2 sets of right. the first set would drive a left and right speaker with 2(3.5 inch woofers) and a tweeter, 4 ohm load, passive xover from a car stereo component set, that filters out 120 and down, 12 db. the second set would power either 2 eight inch woofers in a ported box or 2 6.5 in woofers( not sure yet on which subs im getting but they are all very inexpensive and efficient. ill prob combine the left and right rca channels into one, and feed that into the left and right and then use a 120 hz and down passive filter for the subs. the sure amp has no gain so its a gamble, the tv does have a 5 band eq on it, im not sure if it effects the output, the entire system is hooked up to a htpc with a blu ray player in it, so i can control the tvs volume by either the computer, or the tv itself. usually leave the tv volume alone and turn it up and down with the pc. its not a high end sound card just the hd audio chip on the mother board. i was thinking it would be easier to get a custom sound having two lepai amps so i could turn them up and down individually, but i have a 20 volt 6 amp beefy gaming laptop power supply im not using anymore and it seems like the tk2050 chips would put out more power. the new lepai amps are stable to 2 ohms, which is better for the subs, and the you tube videos keep showing them sounding great according to the reviewers, yet i see no glowing raves about the sure amps or tk2050, but spec wise it seems alot more powerful and cleaner sound. but the price is basically the same. this would be a mini system just built for fun. it doesnt need to be louder that 95 db, infact, i never turn my 2000 dollar receiver up much more than that, which recently crossed my mind lol.

Comment

Whatever you decide, don't use the Lepai amp. It may be good for very low volume or for headphone use, but anything louder than that produces lots of distortion. I have one, and I fail to see the excitement that many members here have expressed about this amp. May be if you dump more money in to mod the amp, you'll end up with better sound, but to me, it's not a good value if your music listening is critical. I'm in the process of building a sound bar, and already bought the Lepai amp, but I may substitute a LM1875 board instead.

Hong
        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
        Sonata Soundbar Project
        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
          Whatever you decide, don't use the Lepai amp. It may be good for very low volume or for headphone use, but anything louder than that produces lots of distortion. I have one, and I fail to see the excitement that many members here have expressed about this amp. May be if you dump more money in to mod the amp, you'll end up with better sound, but to me, it's not a good value if your music listening is critical. I'm in the process of building a sound bar, and already bought the Lepai amp, but I may substitute a LM1875 board instead.

Hong
          +1

The Lepai amp misses the very bottom end and in unaltered form is mediocre at best.
          “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

which version do you guys have the new ones or the old ones? the new one is 2 ohm stereo stable which would help for what im trying with the subs, did you use a decent 12volt 5 amp power supply? it doesnt have a headphone output so im not sure how it can be used as a headphone amp. having said that, the 2050 board specs look alot better, too bad it doesnt have gain controls on it like some of the other ones. its almost cheaper to buy a dayton audio 8 inch sub for 89 with the box and amp but then i wouldnt have any fun building the thing which is the whole point. if i go with the 100x4 im gonna use a old pioneer crossover thats 150 and down at 8 ohms, but im running the subs at 4 ohms so that will lower it to like 125 i think, gotta look at the chart, im just worried the mtm style left and right with 3.5 mid woofers and tweeters will distort before any bass comes out of the sub since i cant turn one side up more than the other, i suppose i could build 8 ohm left and right and 4 ohm subs so they would be quieter and the subs would get more juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay36sub View Post
              which version do you guys have the new ones or the old ones? the new one is 2 ohm stereo stable which would help for what im trying with the subs, did you use a decent 12volt 5 amp power supply? it doesnt have a headphone output so im not sure how it can be used as a headphone amp. having said that, the 2050 board specs look alot better, too bad it doesnt have gain controls on it like some of the other ones. its almost cheaper to buy a dayton audio 8 inch sub for 89 with the box and amp but then i wouldnt have any fun building the thing which is the whole point. if i go with the 100x4 im gonna use a old pioneer crossover thats 150 and down at 8 ohms, but im running the subs at 4 ohms so that will lower it to like 125 i think, gotta look at the chart, im just worried the mtm style left and right with 3.5 mid woofers and tweeters will distort before any bass comes out of the sub since i cant turn one side up more than the other, i suppose i could build 8 ohm left and right and 4 ohm subs so they would be quieter and the subs would get more juice.
              The values for the 8 ohm crossover will not work well 4 ohm woofers. First if the crossover is a 2nd order electrical high pass then value of the inductor will 2x larger than you need but the capacitor will be barely half the value you need so the slope will be rather unpredictable. You for sure can expect the sub to start to roll off at around 60 Hz but probably not at a 12db per octave rate. Best way to do bass management would be with a dsp device like the minidsp. At least then you would know what frequency your sub and mains would be really crossing at.

The headphone reference is that you will be using the headphone output on your TV. You can use a potenitometer to control gain on each channel of the 4x100W amp. Just get a stereo audio taper 50K pot to control the level of two channel simultaneously. Also if you use a sub with DVC use one channel of the amp to driver one voice coil and the other channel the other voice coil. At least your crossover would see an impedance closer to what it expects. But it is very difficult to do passive crossovers that low with the rise in impedance at Fs again the best option is a dsp.
              Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
              If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                Whatever you decide, don't use the Lepai amp. It may be good for very low volume or for headphone use, but anything louder than that produces lots of distortion.
                Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                The Lepai amp misses the very bottom end and in unaltered form is mediocre at best.
                I am using two Lepai 2020A+ amps for my mains and subs, as well as a miniDSP, so I may have EQ'd out some low end rolloff, but I can't EQ out distortion. They work quite well for me with efficient ([email protected] 1m) 4 ohm speakers. This distortion plot is at about 90 dB at the listening position at 9 feet.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	crescent k distortion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1151354

Edit: I looked at my EQ, and the lowest EQ is a 5 dB cut at 43 Hz, so they go pretty low all by themselves with the tone control button out to DIRECT.

Comment

The Lapai will do 8 watts into 4 ohms before clipping and half that into 8. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...50#post1887950 I don't have any experience with the Sure 4x100W but with a 20V supply it should have slightly more power (maybe 13-14 watts if my math is correct). You can do a lot with 8 watts and the Sure won't play much louder unless you put a PS with more voltage on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10Log-table.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1151361

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Cherry π's

Comment

where do i get a mini dsp ? keep in mind, i am running a home theater pc, with windows 7, it sends the audio signal through hdmi to the samsung series 7 hdtv where i would use the 3.5 out ( also has fiber but cant use that with these amps ) when i turn off the tv speakers, the tv eq goes away, and the output from the 3.5 is not effected by the tv volume, that being said, i can control the output from the computer( it has a remote as well ) now, this isnt a high end sound card, its the hd audio built into the mother board, but it sounds fine from what i can tell, so i can load any software that runs on windows and even get a inexpensive sound card if needed for better output ( course is that necessary? im buying a 24 dollar amp lol and 6 dollar mids and a 12 dollar woofer) this isnt my yamaha high end system in the bedroom. i saw the you tube video showing the lepai clipping and measuring actual power output, which is really low from my past knowledge, but i dont want this setup going over 95 db. just a inexpensive setup better than a 2.1 computer speaker setup. as for the crossover from a previous post, its a 6db inductor coil, the charts im looking at show each time you half the load( ie 8-4-2 ohms ) your crossover point is halved as well, ie 150, 75.... so if i had a 75 ohm cutoff thats only 6db wouldnt that let me boost the low end and still get some bass up to 100hz to match the small left and right? i was thinking of 2 of the hiwave 3.5 mid woofers ( sold out at the moment ) or the

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-208 ( id like a little more mid bass than 2 of these )

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=297-2156 ( this is what i would prefer, 2 of these in mtm, i have passive car audio crossover and 4ohm tweeter from my last car setup that is decent quality) the woofers are blown.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                      The Lapai will do 8 watts into 4 ohms before clipping and half that into 8. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...50#post1887950 I don't have any experience with the Sure 4x100W but with a 20V supply it should have slightly more power (maybe 13-14 watts if my math is correct). You can do a lot with 8 watts and the Sure won't play much louder unless you put a PS with more voltage on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39637[/ATTACH]

Ron
                      i was looking at the tk2050 amp boards, is that all the power a 20 volt 6.5 amp power supply would give at 4 ohms, 14 watts? that seems low i was thinking more like 30-40 though im not doing the math like you are, im going by the spec sheet on the actual chips, but now i cant find it, the lepai is stable at 2 ohm stereo, and i was thinking of buying 2 pyle ( dual 4 ohm vc ) subs, like 17 bucks a piece, and either porting them or doing sealed, waiting on full specs from pyle ( they have twice not emailed me them when i asked tech support and provided email ) yes this sub is not super high end, its cheap, but looks decent and costs even better. the you tube video showed the lepai putting out like 17 watts per channel before clipping at 2 ohms, what i cant get over is how good i keep hearing ppl saying they sound, ( 12 volt 5 amp power supply ) comparing them to say yamaha 100x2 at tv and not ******* your neighbors off listening levels, i realized the other day i NEVER crank my 2000$ yamaha receiver/amp and almost always listen to it at low levels, so if these amps sound good at low levels, i thought it would be fun to try a project as i waste more money on drinks on the weekend than these things cost lol, i keep reading bad review after bad review on any of the sure/parts express boards despite the better looking specs on paper, are you doing a basic 20 volts, 6.5 amps @ 90% efficiency can only possibly = x amount of watts? i do remember hearing a 200 watt car stereo sub amp sound better than a 1000 watt one, both high end, so i might add that all watts arent equal from my experience, even with clean specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay36sub View Post
                        i was looking at the tk2050 amp boards, is that all the power a 20 volt 6.5 amp power supply would give at 4 ohms, 14 watts? that seems low i was thinking more like 30-40 though im not doing the math like you are, im going by the spec sheet on the actual chips, but now i cant find it, the lepai is stable at 2 ohm stereo, and i was thinking of buying 2 pyle ( dual 4 ohm vc ) subs, like 17 bucks a piece, and either porting them or doing sealed, waiting on full specs from pyle ( they have twice not emailed me them when i asked tech support and provided email ) yes this sub is not super high end, its cheap, but looks decent and costs even better. the you tube video showed the lepai putting out like 17 watts per channel before clipping at 2 ohms, what i cant get over is how good i keep hearing ppl saying they sound, ( 12 volt 5 amp power supply ) comparing them to say yamaha 100x2 at tv and not ******* your neighbors off listening levels, i realized the other day i NEVER crank my 2000$ yamaha receiver/amp and almost always listen to it at low levels, so if these amps sound good at low levels, i thought it would be fun to try a project as i waste more money on drinks on the weekend than these things cost lol, i keep reading bad review after bad review on any of the sure/parts express boards despite the better looking specs on paper, are you doing a basic 20 volts, 6.5 amps @ 90% efficiency can only possibly = x amount of watts? i do remember hearing a 200 watt car stereo sub amp sound better than a 1000 watt one, both high end, so i might add that all watts arent equal from my experience, even with clean specs.
                        Either I missed this post or got busy doing something and didn't get around to replying. I was thinking you could use the PS voltage as the P to P output and calculate the output of the amp from that but I couldn't come up with numbers the matched my measurements or the numbers on the Tripath datasheets. I did come up with math that appears to work. Take the PS voltage and convert it to RMS voltage my multiplying by .3535. Use E^2 / R to calculate P and double it.

20V * .3535 = 7.07V RMS
                        7.07^2 / 4 = 12.5W RMS
                        12.5 * 2 + 25W

The data sheet for the TK2050 is here. www.sure-electronics.net/download/TK2050.pdf If you use the first graph as an example where they use 23.5V with a 6 ohm load you will get 23 watts using my math. That's just shy of where the distortion takes off on the graph. This math also works with the amps I measured. The numbers come out low for the 2nd graph on the datasheet so it's not perfect. Since the output of the amp is related to the V^2 of the PS the higher you can go the better if you want more power.

Ron
                        C-Note Iron Driver Build
                        The Cherry π's

Comment

Working...
                        X