Fine, twist my arm....I'll do it. Feeler for a re-located DIY-NE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine, twist my arm....I'll do it. Feeler for a re-located DIY-NE

With our normal DIYNE event temproarily out of service, is there any interest in another? It would be on the border of S. Kingstown and Wakefield RI which is about 1.25-1.5 hours south of its normal location and significantly closer for those in NY and CT.

No competition, just an informal get together. Pending how many people we may do time-slots if there are enough speakers. I have a couple of ideas including a potential guest speaker. I would like to have my Focal Chorus speakers there too to have a retail reference, and would encourage others if people have them lying around. Again, all in good fun. I could do an Omnimic Demo covering the basics for beginners. Just do not want to make it overly formal.

Thoughts/Interest? Sometime in the late Jan/Early Feb timeframe when we are all bored and need inspiration for spring.

Re: Fine, twist my arm....I'll do it. Feeler for a re-located DIY-NE

it's a 3-4 hour drive for me, depending on traffic. I'd be interested.
    Don't have anything to show at this point but may be by Jan something will shape up.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I'd be interested.
      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Mike, I'm definitely interested and would make the trip (easier for me than for Roman). Since the NY-DIY, I've been doing more work on my Aengles semi-open baffle project and am close to calling it done, including the cab finishing. That proposed timeframe sounds good to me.

Comment

Mike, I would be interested in attending. I have family in Little Compton, RI. is that close to you?

Comment

About 20-25 min. Squiddy!

Comment

I may be able to make that one myself, although it's more likely I'd just come by to listen. As long as my wife's schedule is OK then and I'm on the road again (hmmm, good name for a song), I'll attend. Can't promise, though.

dlr
              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Let me know when and where.
                Kenny

DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

I may be able to do this.
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                    Mike, I would be interested in attending. I have family in Little Compton, RI. is that close to you?
                    Is anything in RI not close to anything else in RI? ;)

Wish it were closer, I would be there.
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                      LOL, and last time I looked dirt roads were still on the Rand-McNally maps. I friggin' love that.

Sounds good to me too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

Wish it were closer, I would be there.
                        If ya hafta' drive sowth' of the towah' ya bettah' packa' lunch!.....Bare in mind it takes a whopping 45 min to drive through the state..... along the longest measurement....

ANYWAY

Starting to form a little Here's some details up front: DATE: SAT, FEB 22 2013

Record producer and Stereophile columnist John Marks will speak on his approach to evaluating loudspeakers, electronics, and recordings. There will be a Q+A session afterwards. He will also have a demonstration around the loudness wars among other things.

The rig would be a Carver Sunfire Reference 2-ch. amp (250/8 ohms, 500 4/ohms), matching pre. Audio Research CD-1 running XLR into an Easter Electric Mini-Max DAC. It has a USB in and will support up to 96/24 in case anyone wants to play with different sources. I am open to other equipment if anyone wants to bring some.

I'll have my omni-mic set-up in case anyone wants to see/touch/feel it. I will also use it to calibrate the speakers during the listening time.

I figured we would calibrate the speakers to a reasonable SPL with pink noise during the presentation time to avoid fatigue while everyone presents. 10-15min including set-up for each speaker depending on how many we have. Break around 1 for lunch (TBD) have the presentation finish any of he the structured presentations (if any) of the speakers then whatever anyone wants to do after that is fair game. Crank it up, play with sources, other equipment, etc.

I figure we would shoot for a 10am start.

The listening area will be nicely separated from the "hang out" area so it should make for a nice flow. BYOB, I will have some non-alcoholic beverages available as well as chips, etc. and any snack food/pickies will be appreciated.

There will also be a table set up for anything people are looking to sell/trade/give away that is audio related.

Please PM me to RSVP I woudl like to have an idea of how many people are coming. Thanks!

Comment

alright, reserve a comfy chair for me then.
                          If anyone wants to have SPL meter calibrated I can bring my Amprobe SM-CAL1. Takes 20 sec per, so no big deal.
                          As a reference, my Galaxy SPL meter from PE was off by 1.5db
                          Mike, any competition aspect to this get together like NY DIY or just a get together with friendly introductions?

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                            alright, reserve a comfy chair for me then.
                            If anyone wants to have SPL meter calibrated I can bring my Amprobe SM-CAL1. Takes 20 sec per, so no big deal.
                            As a reference, my Galaxy SPL meter from PE was off by 1.5db
                            Mike, any competition aspect to this get together like NY DIY or just a get together with friendly introductions?
                            Hi Roman,
                            No competition this time around. Just a friendly G2G. I figure coming of the heels of Iron Driver, a G2G would be a little more relaxed for everyone and people can bring whatever even if 1/2 finished.

Comment

Working...
                            X