Lapai LP-168HA 2.1 amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapai LP-168HA 2.1 amp questions

I am interested in getting a lp-168ha for a 2.1 project using wolf's pc speakers and a voxel or nrnp sub.

My first question is one of power. I know the other lapai amps benefit from the upgraded power supply. This amp is supposed to deliver 2X45 wats and 68 watts for the sub. If my math is correct that is 158 watts of total power. It doesn't seem possible that the power supply is going to deliver 158 watts.

So would a 13 amp power supply be able to drive that puppy? I found a 12 amp power supply on amazon. Would that work so it could deliver the power or would I just be throwing good money after bad?

Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Re: Lapai LP-168HA 2.1 amp questions

It comes with a 4amp power supply and in the pictures of the back, its stamped with 5amp 14.4 volts. I'd imagine a 12 amp power supply would cause smoking. You might be able to get away with 6amp, but I wouldn't try 12.

I think this would work much better. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-771

Unless are very limited in space, that baby TB sub can put out some nice bass in a ported box.

PE or someone needs to come up with a better 2.1 solution. HINT HINT!!!!

Comment

It comes with a 4amp power supply and in the pictures of the back, its stamped with 5amp 14.4 volts. I'd imagine a 12 amp power supply would cause smoking. You might be able to get away with 6amp, but I wouldn't try 12.
      That's not exactly how amperage works. Using a power supply with a higher than suggested voltage could potentially cause smoke, but not a high amp rating. Unlike voltage, which is constant, amperage can vary. Just because a power supply CAN put out 12 amps doesn't mean it always is. It draws current as needed. In the case of an audio amplifier, turning up the volume causes it to draw more current. So the power supply can be rated for as many amps as you want as long as the voltage is within the specified range.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdaffin View Post
        That's not exactly how amperage works. Using a power supply with a higher than suggested voltage could potentially cause smoke, but not a high amp rating. Unlike voltage, which is constant, amperage can vary. Just because a power supply CAN put out 12 amps doesn't mean it always is. It draws current as needed. In the case of an audio amplifier, turning up the volume causes it to draw more current. So the power supply can be rated for as many amps as you want as long as the voltage is within the specified range.
        What power supply would limit the volts with higher current(amps)? If it was my money and amp, I'd stay closer to spec.

Comment

wow, I just spent the last 30 min looking at 2.1 amp kits.
          OP< I bought one of those and used it for a couple of ONS and a 5" TB sub. Has a lot of gain so, on his I phone sounded terrible. from the earphone plug on his tv, it sounded great. A power supply with higher amperage helped a lot.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I found a 12 volt 12 amp ac adapter that should work. I am just thinking that the 4 amp power supply would not deliver the power needs to get up towards the rated power.

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers...AMP+ac+adaptor

I would think that power supply would be able to deliver the power needed. Weather the lapai is able to deliver is another thing entirely, but I guess that is the real question. If I get the power adapter will it truly benefit the amp?

What do you guys think?

Kevin
            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
            OS MTM's
            Digger 8 sub
            Overnight Sensations Center Channel
            Sprite Build
            Wolf's PC Speakers
            Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

You choose a supply based on its output voltage and power.

Fixed power supplies are rated, or output, a specific voltage at a specific maximum power level.

The power/wattage rating is the maximum the supply is capable of delivering at its operating voltage. It will deliver less power if the demand is less. The voltage will remain the same (within limits).

Originally posted by generic View Post
              What power supply would limit the volts with higher current(amps)? If it was my money and amp, I'd stay closer to spec.
              ~99%
              Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
              Make me a poster of an old rodeo
              Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Working...
              X