Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know about NIN's concert setup (audiowise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about NIN's concert setup (audiowise)

I saw NIN's show last month. Very Impressive sound and the stage/lighting was the coolest I've ever seen.

I was wondering if anyone has any details on the sound system they were using. I've seen several rock shows at this venue (10,000 seat sports arena primarily). Most shows there sound not so good. Tool is the only other band I've seen there that I thought sounded good (even more impressive is the fact that the "BIG/CLEAN/DEEP" sound on their albums came through in the performance).

I do remember at one point there seemed to be the typical sounding bass effects going on, clean but not crazy deep, then added to that was something that you could only FEEL, I'm sure it would have been audible if it weren't for all the other stuff going on but it was a cool effect. Sad thing is that I don't think anyone else really picked up on it, it was somewhat subtle but definitely noticeable if you listen for interesting things like that. I have no idea what it takes to pull something like that off but I'd like to know.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Anyone know about NIN's concert setup (audiowi

Call the venue and they can tell you who the sound company was that did the job. Many Bands do not bring the PA part of the system, just monitors and integration components.

A local sound company may have outfitted the concert.

<A HREF="http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_nine_...ils/index.html">http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_nine_...ils/index.html</A>

(Originally posted by: Truluck)

Comment

I always wondered about trucking all that gear around the world. The main stacks looked different from anything I remember seeing there in the past, admittedly I never made it a point to take a visual inventory of the gear I could see. It never occurred to me that they could be using locally supplied PA's from different companies. The mains they had seem relatively minimal, almost line array like. As tall as some others I have seen there but much more narrow w/ no cabs angled toward the center.

Thanks for the link. I also have something more to evaluate at my next show.

Later,
      Aaron

> Call the venue and they can tell you who the
      > sound company was that did the job. Many
      > Bands do not bring the PA part of the
      > system, just monitors and integration
      > components.

> A local sound company may have outfitted the
      > concert.

>
      > <A HREF="http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_nine_...ils/index.html">http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_nine_...ils/index.html</A>

Thanks,
      Aaron

Comment

> I do remember at one point there seemed to
        > be the typical sounding bass effects going
        > on, clean but not crazy deep, then added to
        > that was something that you could only FEEL,
        > I'm sure it would have been audible if it
        > weren't for all the other stuff going on but
        > it was a cool effect. Sad thing is that I
        > don't think anyone else really picked up on
        > it, it was somewhat subtle but definitely
        > noticeable if you listen for interesting
        > things like that. I have no idea what it
        > takes to pull something like that off but
        > I'd like to know.

> Thanks,
        > Aaron

The sound company was probably using a subharmonic synthesizer. Usually only the big budget high dollar setups use one - because it takes a lot of watts, subs that can handle it, and go *deep*. For a concert PA, that's the mid-20's.

I don't know if you can get them as outboard units anymore. I got one many moons ago when they used to sell them in the DAK catalog. dbx builds it in as a "feature" on their dsp-based digital crossover/equalizer units (which I bought prior to Behringer coming out with theirs). It really makes classic rock *thunder* without being ear-splitting loud.

Comment

Working...
        X